12v Diesel heater

dennisvr

I've been thinking about using the Volvo as a motorhome for a few days at a time and leave the toyhauler at home.  I've got the essentials, fridge, micro and porta pot.  Had been looking into 12v Diesel heaters and thought I would try one of the Chinese knock offs.  Got one off Amazon and installed it in my Volvo 660.  Got to say it works great.  This morning it was 45 deg. ( I know that's tshirt weather for some but its cold for me) anyway I fired it up and put it on high and 20 mins later it was 70 deg inside, so I turned it down to the lowest setting and let it run for about 4 hrs.  Went out to check and it was 82 deg so I turned it off.  I hooked it up to the 2 1/2 gal fuel tank it came with and don't think it dropped 1/2".  I hooked it up to (1) 12v battery and the reading on the monitor said 12.3v when I started and 12.3v when I turned it off 4 hrs later.  I'm very impressed with it and cant wait to take it out for a few days and try it out.
  Pretty good deal on Amazon for $119.00 "IF" it keeps going.

Edited by dennisvr

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

As long as you treat them as disposable, they're a great way to get cheap heat. Guys local have been putting them in their sled trailers, with the built in tank, and reporting good results. Have heard a few reports of charring around the exhaust port, but haven't seen the installs in person. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

As long as you treat them as disposable, they're a great way to get cheap heat. Guys local have been putting them in their sled trailers, with the built in tank, and reporting good results. Have heard a few reports of charring around the exhaust port, but haven't seen the installs in person. 

I read some of the reviews from truckers that have used them for going on 2 to 3 yrs and say they're still going ( its got to be true if its on the internet right) we will see.  I was concerned about the exhaust so I drilled a larger hole that was required because I was going thru the insulation in the floor of the jockey box where I installed it.  I'll will check it tomorrow.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I did not know such a thing existed, but looks to be a good option.

We occasionally CrackerBarrelDock, and I have started the little generator to run the small electric heater to take the chill off the DW. This looks like an easy solution. With less noise.

Thank you for sharing Mr. Dennis 

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

40 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

I did not know such a thing existed, but looks to be a good option.

We occasionally CrackerBarrelDock, and I have started the little generator to run the small electric heater to take the chill off the DW. This looks like an easy solution. With less noise.

Thank you for sharing Mr. Dennis 

They do put out some noise, but can barely hear it inside the cab.  For the price I figured if I only use it a couple times a year it will be worth it.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

46 minutes ago, spindrift said:

So one isn't any better than another?  Haven't seen one of them, honestly. 

I really dont know, but I dont think so.  I read some of the reviews (if you can believe them) and figured for $119 it was worth a shot.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

One other thing, I was torn between getting the 5kw or the 8 kw.  I'm sure glad I went with the 5kw.  I had to turn it off after awhile because even on the lowest setting it got to hot (82deg) inside the cab.  Also there is a lot of info on Youtube, on installation, operation and trouble shooting.  Just a word of caution, the instructions are garbage.  I had to go on You Tube to find out how to use the controller.

Edited by dennisvr

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

11 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I never knew such a thing existed. I wonder if they would work in a tent.

Dont see why not.  The only thing you need to do is vent the exhaust outside.  I would think if I wanted to put it in a tent I would get the (what I call suitcase type).  They have a tank already installed in one neat package.  
Just route the exhaust outside, fill with diesel and hook up battery and you will toasty in no time......

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

18 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Leave it outside, duct the heat into the tent.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

If these are a bit overkill Herman Nelson 😀

Take a look at the website of "Expedition Upfitters". Planar portable heater

I think the price in the link is Cdn dollar. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 minutes ago, noteven said:

If these are a bit overkill Herman Nelson 😀

Take a look at the website of "Expedition Upfitters". Planar portable heater

I think the price in the link is Cdn dollar. 

That would be too much coin for me even if USD exchange would be lower.  I thought for a tent something like this would work.
12V Air Diesel Heater 5000W 4 Holes LCD Monitor Parking Heater for Trucks Boats Bus Car - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

3 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

That would be too much coin for me even if USD exchange would be lower.  I thought for a tent something like this would work.
12V Air Diesel Heater 5000W 4 Holes LCD Monitor Parking Heater for Trucks Boats Bus Car - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Yea that should work. When my son and I go we have a 8 man cabin tent. I just have a little Coleman heater to turn on in the morning to take the chill off.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:44 AM, jenandjon said:

Search "Diesel Heaters" (etc.) on YouTube. !!!

*YES*.. to a tent - lots of 'em!  Heater (intake & exhaust) stays outside, "pipe" the heat inside. Several with "roof top" tents on pickups. No condensation - as with a "Buddy" propane heater.

Good comparison between a Webasto and a Chinese "knock-off" on YouTube.  Dis-assemble both to compare......the (Web is superior at 5x the cost) and avail in a gas model (he does van conversions).

Also a guy in cold country (30deg outside) who tried heating his shop with one (heater inside, fresh air intake and exhaust outside).  Worked better (and less $$ ) than running his ceiling mounted electric heater.....so he has another video a year later...with two and a "cleaned-up" installation.

Several comparisons of the various Chinese varieties.  Advice:  Get the lowest rated output (5KW) and run it on high - no diesel residue (and gum-up).

Also portable versions - would have been a handy heat source in TX !!

😉

I was so impressed with the one I installed in the Volvo that I bought another one for my wood shop.  I have a three car garage with one bay walled off and using as my wood shop until I can get my shop built.  The bay is 14'x25' so I went with the 8kw suit case, all together type.  Should be here in a few days so I'll be nice an toasty in no time.  

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

4 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I was so impressed with the one I installed in the Volvo that I bought another one for my wood shop.  I have a three car garage with one bay walled off and using as my wood shop until I can get my shop built.  

When it comes to heating a shop or garage, I use a 'torpedo heater'...they dont cost all that much, they heat things up FAST, and they plug into a standard120v outlet....no 12v supply needed. I buy farm diesel and mix it 50/50 with kerosene. Works great.

Downsides? It IS noisy (sounds like a small turbine engine!) but it only has to run for 10-15 minutes to heat the space up nicely. And of course, you can't use a torpedo heater in a closed-in space for long, it's just too stinky...

Nothing to see here. 

• 2 months later...