Pack Bearings

Ski

Some people mistakenly pack the void in the hub completely full, which causes problems later. Only the bearings are packed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are many utube videos showing how to perform  wheel bearing cleaning and re-greasing on a travel trailer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I take a 2 finger swipe out of the grease tub and put that onto the palm of my other hand which is enough to pack 1 bearing. Press the bearing down onto the grease 3-4 times until you see grease oozing out of the other side, then move to another part of the bearing and repeat. Ask any auto parts store for their high quality synthetic wheel bearing grease.

Edited by gjhunter01

I’ve always packed bearings in my hand. But I have 6 wheels to do. I recently picked up a bearing packer. I got the Gear Wrench one. 

Load in the grease and easy to pack. About ten sec per bearing it’s done. Takes a bit of pressure but no issue.  Can leave unused grease in it and put cap on.  Also old grease pushed out of bearings no need to wash. Unless you want to. 

Edited by billr

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

4 hours ago, billr said:

I’ve always packed bearings in my hand. But I have 6 wheels to do. I recently picked up a bearing packer. I got the Gear Wrench one. 

Load in the grease and easy to pack. About ten sec per bearing it’s done. Takes a bit of pressure but no issue.  Can leave unused grease in it and put cap on.  Also old grease pushed out of bearings no need to wash. Unless you want to. 

I disagree, if you do not wash the old grease out  so you may inspect the bearings for wear, how do you inspect the bearings?

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I disagree, if you do not wash the old grease out  so you may inspect the bearings for wear, how do you inspect the bearings?

Exactly, if you want to. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Washing the old grease out is also controversial as they say the wash solution can't be complerely removed and may contaminate the new grease.  I don't know if that is a problem but it could be. One article I read said to wipe the bearing down and inspect that way.  As long as the bearings are greased seems to be the best approach. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift