Online SCAM almost caught me

Arnwrkr

I found this great deal on safervguide.com A 2008 Coachman Concord 300 TH for $11,500 with just 14,664 miles on it.  It's the one I have been looking for!  I checked with NADA and the price was within norms.  Emailed the seller, Matthew at msegev@comcast.net, asking for more pictures.  He was a little rude, sent a URL https://imgur.com/a/DYHcF0l with more pics. and said to only reply if I was a serious buyer with the money.  I told him I was serious and had the money.  I told him my wife works at a bank and could wire a deposit to him to hold it until I could fly from Texas to Colorado where  he was.  He said he prefered to use "Amazon Payments" which would protect the buyer and seller.  He gave me a link,  https://safe.pay.amazon.api-checkouts.com/buyer-protection.html , which I foolishly clicked on.  It looked legit and of course it sounded, like the deal on the the Concord, too good to be true. I checked RVTrader and found the same rigs going for $40,000+.   My wife was very skeptical of the whole deal so I researched the Amazon Payments and found there is no such thing.   I am embarrassed at how close I came to giving away all that money.  I sent an email to safervguide.com letting them know what happened. Obviously NADA does not reflect the current market value of RV's.  I've attached a screenshot of Amazon Payments page.

AmazonPayments.png

Travel More... Money returns, Time doesn't

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMIMNMONENV

Just be happy you have a smart wife and your personal wariness to double check the payment link.

in 2012  I also found a great deal, contacted seller and said I will be driving there to inspect the MH in person. He told me it was first in CO, then KY, then it had been moved to TX, and in-person inspection was not possible. That's when I closed the conversation and posted my experience on irv2.com. Oddly enough a woman answered my post saying she and her husband had sent a downpayment and never heard from the seller again. BTW, I searched the internet for that MH and found pictures of the same MH on a different site for much more money.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The scammers are always looking for a way to trick someone and some are pretty clever.  I think most of us have been scammed at least once. Received a call yesterday that an Amazon order on our account was going to an address in CA.  Instructing me to call a number if we didn't order it.  I didn't call but every day it seems there is a new scam.  I have found items on Craig's list advertised in multiple places as being local.  The last time I was scammed I ordered a product on Facebook.   Never received it and the company is nowhere to be found.  Learned to never buy off of Facebook ad.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I've used FB marketplace several times but only local and always met nearby. If I can't try it, inspect it, or see it in action I am not buying except for Amazon and other online retailer/wholesalers.

Craigslist was fine for a while but then they became unusable to me.

Newegg sellers are hinky so I only buy Newegg direct sales now. Ignorance can go the other way too. Last year I bought two 8GB sticks of DDR3 fast RAM from a US seller for receipt within six days give or take. ~$89 bucks. Once a week late I called Newegg and they told me to contact them through them. We did and a month later I just wanted the RAM ordered two 8GB sticks from another retailer online who got it to me on time three days later.and told them if it does not come in a week I wanted the refund, they told me Newegg would issue a refund. Newegg issued me a refund. Then I sent an email to the sellers and sent them the order number etc and asked for them to please send me a shipping label to return it to them. A week later I got an email asking for the order number which was in the email I sent them. I replied it was in the previous but here it is again. Then nothing. After a few weeks I emailed them again and they did the not reading and asking for the order number then just stopped again. That was all in December 2019 - March. I forgot about it and then bought a refurb  mini PC for my family room TV. It was great for $151, with a 256GB Intel SSD in it and 8 GB of RAM. I checked with Crucial who made it and the lady looked it up and told me it should work fine. I popped them in and sure enough they worked so my little fast refurb is even faster now with 16GB RAM, the max it can take. No guilt, I just used what I had stored, as they didn't want the return badly enough to pay shipping back to them. Yes we have all been scammed at least once, fortunately mine were immediately fixable at no cost but embarrassment.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

I've used FB marketplace several times but only local and always met nearby. If I can't try it, inspect it, or see it in action I am not buying except for Amazon and other online retailer/wholesalers.

Craigslist was fine for a while but then they became unusable to me.

Newegg sellers are hinky so I only buy Newegg direct sales now. Ignorance can go the other way too. Last year I bought two 8GB sticks of DDR3 fast RAM from a US seller for receipt within six days give or take. ~$89 bucks. Once a week late I called Newegg and they told me to contact them through them. We did and a month later I just wanted the RAM ordered two 8GB sticks from another retailer online who got it to me on time three days later.and told them if it does not come in a week I wanted the refund, they told me Newegg would issue a refund. Newegg issued me a refund. Then I sent an email to the sellers and sent them the order number etc and asked for them to please send me a shipping label to return it to them. A week later I got an email asking for the order number which was in the email I sent them. I replied it was in the previous but here it is again. Then nothing. After a few weeks I emailed them again and they did the not reading and asking for the order number then just stopped again. That was all in December 2019 - March. I forgot about it and then bought a refurb  mini PC for my family room TV. It was great for $151, with a 256GB Intel SSD in it and 8 GB of RAM. I checked with Crucial who made it and the lady looked it up and told me it should work fine. I popped them in and sure enough they worked so my little fast refurb is even faster now with 16GB RAM, the max it can take. No guilt, I just used what I had stored, as they didn't want the return badly enough to pay shipping back to them. Yes we have all been scammed at least once, fortunately mine were immediately fixable at no cost but embarrassment.

Marketplace is an entirely different animal than ads on Facebook. We've sold multiple things on Marketplace during the pandemic, very easy and safe. All local (more or less) and local pickup. Much better than Craigslist, which I just don't trust at all. Jay

5 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Marketplace is an entirely different animal than ads on Facebook. We've sold multiple things on Marketplace during the pandemic, very easy and safe. All local (more or less) and local pickup. Much better than Craigslist, which I just don't trust at all. Jay

We've never used Marketplace but have had great success with Craigslist. I wonder if where you are makes a difference?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 hours ago, Arnwrkr said:

I found this great deal on safervguide.com A 2008 Coachman Concord 300 TH for $11,500 with just 14,664 miles on it.  It's the one I have been looking for!  I checked with NADA and the price was within norms.  Emailed the seller, Matthew at msegev@comcast.net, asking for more pictures.  He was a little rude, sent a URL https://imgur.com/a/DYHcF0l with more pics. and said to only reply if I was a serious buyer with the money.  I told him I was serious and had the money.  I told him my wife works at a bank and could wire a deposit to him to hold it until I could fly from Texas to Colorado where  he was.  He said he prefered to use "Amazon Payments" which would protect the buyer and seller.  He gave me a link,  https://safe.pay.amazon.api-checkouts.com/buyer-protection.html , which I foolishly clicked on.  It looked legit and of course it sounded, like the deal on the the Concord, too good to be true. I checked RVTrader and found the same rigs going for $40,000+.   My wife was very skeptical of the whole deal so I researched the Amazon Payments and found there is no such thing.   I am embarrassed at how close I came to giving away all that money.  I sent an email to safervguide.com letting them know what happened. Obviously NADA does not reflect the current market value of RV's.  I've attached a screenshot of Amazon Payments page.

AmazonPayments.png

This same guy Matt Segev msegev@comcast.com is trying to sell a boat on boat trader.  23 ft Pro Line for $12,500.  Something didn’t seem right.  Won’t send boat hin or registration and making excuses why he can’t.   Says he lives in Knoxville but in Nashville fixing a rental property.  

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

We've never used Marketplace but have had great success with Craigslist. I wonder if where you are makes a difference?

Linda

Location may be a component, I don't know. I do know, I've never been a fan of Craigslist. There have been murders and thefts and sketchy deals on Craigslist here in FL and I've never really seen anything there of any value. The scattered and disorganized layout doesn't help any. To me, the greatest advantage of Facebook is the ability to actually see the person you're dealing with, before you even decide to meet them. I can choose who I want to sell to. No sketchy characters. Jay

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Location may be a component, I don't know. I do know, I've never been a fan of Craigslist. There have been murders and thefts and sketchy deals on Craigslist here in FL and I've never really seen anything there of any value. The scattered and disorganized layout doesn't help any. To me, the greatest advantage of Facebook is the ability to actually see the person you're dealing with, before you even decide to meet them. I can choose who I want to sell to. No sketchy characters. Jay

So , you think what you see on FB is always real ? LOL

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

So , you think what you see on FB is always real ? LOL

Okay, that's just silly, but yes, YOU CAN look over the profile of someone who wants to come buy your widget and determine if they're ordinary, everyday people. I'm batting 1000 on that. Much better odds than Craigslist. Jay

23 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Okay, that's just silly, but yes, YOU CAN look over the profile of someone who wants to come buy your widget and determine if they're ordinary, everyday people. I'm batting 1000 on that. Much better odds than Craigslist. Jay

I'm surprised to find that 'they' think only about 5% of Facebook accounts are fake . 

I think they're doing a lot of hoping for the best to sell more advertising . 

Goes around , comes around .