What internet should we get?!

MRRV

Hello All! 

We are new fulltimers and need some help. We want to get a solid internet option that we will be able to use our computer to check emails but also to stream off of our amazon firestick and have access to Netflix, HBO etc... We have Verizon phones but have heard that they throttle data & haven't been the best options with their MIFI. Would love to hear what people are using, I know there are a lot more families working from home and need solid connections in order to do that. 

Thanks!

What you are looking for does not exist yet.  

You can get plans that have 50GB or even 100GB of un-throttled data and price will depend on the carrier.  

You can get get a variety of devices that "unlimited" plans but most have some sort of possible throttling.  

Many people use a variety of devices depending on how reliable they need their service.  For example use on plan as primary and if it throttles switch to the other plan that still has available un-throttled data.  Other use 2 or more carrier both for the above reason but also there are areas where one carrier may work an another does not. 

Last but not least, getting a device that can use sim card and offers the ability to plug in MIMO external antennas will help. 

You can look into devices like WiFi Ranger and Pep Wave. 

Providing reliable cellular internet with high data limits takes a modular with a cost that increases quickly based on how reliable and how much data.

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

3 hours ago, MRRV said:

We are new fulltimers and need some help. We want to get a solid internet option that we will be able to use our computer to check emails but also to stream off of our amazon firestick and have access to Netflix, HBO etc... We have Verizon phones but have heard that they throttle data & haven't been the best options with their MIFI. Would love to hear what people are using, I know there are a lot more families working from home and need solid connections in order to do that. 

These are the only people I trust to give honest answers to your questions. I have no connection to them other than having benefited from their knowledge over the years. They are full time RVers who work online and have been since something like 2006.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

If you can stream on your phones with no throttling, there are ways to get that picture to a TV and only use on device data. I think these are explained on the RV mobile internet website already mentioned. In my experience, a wire connection from the phone to the TV is the most reliable. It is my understanding that iphones and ipads have this capability. Some phones do not.

There are a number of free streaming services like Pluto, Crackle, Filmrise, Locast, etc. Some subscription services like Prime will let you log in on any device.

Thanks for the mentions of the resource center :)

Since your focus is on video streaming (which is very data intensive), here's our specific guide to that with some tips - including using screen casting to mirror:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/tv

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 1 month later...

The Calyx Institute service is good if you're always in locations with reliable Sprint/T-Mobile service. We use a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan and a current Visible(Verizon) unlimited data plan, both with no throttling, for a monthly cost of about $25 each.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to tips I received from Technomadia over a year ago, I have a Verizon 8800L Jetpack Hotspot coupled to an external MIMO antenna using a grandfathered in unlimited data plan I got when they warned me it was about to expire in like a few days yayyyyyyyyyyyyy........ In addition I have a grandfathered in AT&T ZTE Mobley Unlimited Hotspot Plan for $23.49 per month in case Im not in Verizons area. It works fine but I cant seem to get it to respond or connect to my 700, 825, 1700, and 1900 I think ?? cell booster, I was told its 825?? I can usually stream video no problem via my ROKU and net connection 

John T  Thanks again Technomadia for last years tips

I'm no expert but I do like access to the Internet when traveling. My solution was to have choices. My primary Cell phone is our T mobile senior "Magenta Plus" for both my wife and I. Secondly I added a "Visible" cell phone on the Verizon Network and we also have the "ToGo" on the AT&T data network. Couple all this with Wilson WeBoost65 and so far, it's worked pretty well.  Not perfect by any means but for our use and once in awhile streaming, we have plenty of data to keep us happy. 

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's