Brownsville anyone!

homelesshartshorns

We wondered into the Rocket Ranch one day looking for birds and found this really unique campground right on the Rio Grand River. If you have a Fully Self Contained RV and understand the process of Dry Camping this place is very nice. They have a nice web site and if you don't have a rig they have Classics little Rigs setting on the banks of the river you can rent. Just a few miles from the beach and Space X. Tell Maddie that Lois and George sent you.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

4 minutes ago, Al F said:

Their website seems to state that it is $35 for dry camping, a bit expensive.   Might be worth it to view the Space X rocket launches though. 

No kidding since they are letting you boondock on their property. Especially since looking at Brownsville in FreeCamping.net I see 8 real boondocking sites.

Edited by agesilaus

2 hours ago, Al F said:

Their website seems to state that it is $35 for dry camping, a bit expensive.   Might be worth it to view the Space X rocket launches though. 

I agree with you, coming from an expectation of free to having to pay is a bummer for sure.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

32 minutes ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I agree with you, coming from an expectation of free to having to pay is a bummer for sure.

I would consider paying $10/night to park along the river there.  After all the owner has to pay taxes and upkeep for the property, so I wouldn't expect free.   

But as others wrote there are free boondock places in the area. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Sorry for the implication that they park was free. 

12 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I hope everyone well forgive me for my excitement over a pretty cool place.  

No reason to apologize.  Being as the place is on private property it is reasonable to expect that there would be a fee for dry camping.  The place is interesting, being as you could park right on the river and it is not a far drive to what should be a pretty quiet beach, unlike South Padre Island which is quite crowded much of the time. 

It is interesting to note that a few years ago, during a dry spell, the mighty Rio Grande wasn't flowing out into the Gulf of Mexico.  You could drive a 4x4 from the north side of the mouth of the Rio Grande, across the sand bar, into Mexico.  

Back in the 1860's during the Civil War they used to sail ships up the river for maybe 50-100 miles to pick up cotton for shipment to Europe. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Al F, interesting, I never realized that the RG was that deep for sailing ships. Living in Albuquerque we cross the Rio Grande daily, on bridges, and some of the time it's not deep enough even for a canoe and that's many hundreds of miles from the Gulf.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

1 hour ago, travelinbob said:

Al F, interesting, I never realized that the RG was that deep for sailing ships. Living in Albuquerque we cross the Rio Grande daily, on bridges, and some of the time it's not deep enough even for a canoe and that's many hundreds of miles from the Gulf.

Yeah well those rivers have been drawn down considerably since then. Just think about the population increase since the 1860's in the west. All those people use water. I understand that the Colorado when it finally gets to Mexico can bearly fill a dog's water bowl now days. To Mexico's considerable irritation.

There's a slot canyon in the State's Big Bend Ranch park that was dry as a bone when we walked thru it and the Rio Runs thru there. It must run underground there in the dry season.

Edited by agesilaus

It is good to note that there is that the water flow in the Rio Grande stops at El Paso, TX.  All the water has been used for irrigation or drinking.  All water below there comes from recycled water out of El Paso or from tributaries feeding the river below El Paso.  The major source of water flowing through Big Bend NP comes from the Concho river in Mexico.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

One year, about 10 years or so ago, there were several places in Big Bend NP where you could walk across the Rio Grande and not get your feet wet.  No flowing water in those spots.  There was a very significant drought in the area at the time.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

The water quality in the Rio Grande isn't the best.... be careful.  Rangers told us it's dangerous to eat any fish caught.  We wouldn't fish there anyway!

https://www.nps.gov/rigr/planyourvisit/riverwaterquality.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel