Make your own WIFI?

Just finished reading an ad for a portable WIFI unit that can go anywhere and provide you your own WIFI.  Does  not depend on TV park WIFI system. (Not a WIFI service extender). Reasonable cost (=/- $90.00) It is called MUAMA RYOKO.  I know, if it sounds too good.....  Has anyone checked this out?  Any opinions would be appreciated.  I have no connection to this product.  I travel or have traveled a lot, prior to Covid, and plan to travel a bunch again. WIFI would be helpful while on the road.

Thanks,

Catfish Williams

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

It's just a hotspot. Plenty of them available. They're often free, or nearly so, from the service provider. The Ryoko still needs a data plan to connect with. That's where the costs are.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The prepaid SIM that comes with the hotspot is serviced by "Viaota.com", but I haven't determined which US carrier they use. At $47/mo for 10GB at current conversion rates, it's not the best deal around. The hotspot itself appears to woefully short on features such as antenna ports. It might be a useful device and service for world travelers though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

This is just one of the many many 'global SIM' companies out there, similar to Skyroam, that gives you easy international access. In the US, the data pricing gets.. well, there are better options. 

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Consider getting a Ham Radio license and doing something like this.   Technician class is enough.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

12 hours ago, RandyA said:

Consider getting a Ham Radio license and doing something like this.   Technician class is enough.

That's an interesting read but one still needs an end point connected to the internet. It is using the 70-CM band which is very short ranged which means there is a whole lot of the country where there is nothing, much like cell service, maybe even worse since cell towers have elevation to extend the distance and unless you can find a repeater that will pass through the NPR signal.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg