Pre-purchase inspection in San Diego, CA recommendations?

John Reich

I am looking to buy my first RV.  A class A diesel most likely from a private party.  As an engineer, I strongly believe in having the best inspection you can buy, from a highly experienced professional before dropping money on this kind of purchase.  For car purchases, I usually take them to the dealer, since their mechanics should know every year and model inside out and what are the most likely failure points to check and double check.  For an RV, I'm not sure.  So I'm looking for recommendation of shops, or recommendations of authorities to provide recommendations for my specific area.  I could just use google or yelp, but those reviews and ratings are curated and easily manipulated  by $.  Thanks!

John

The National Recreation Vehicle Industry Association certified inspectors. If none are in your area, check with some dealers to see what mobile tech they would recommend but you will then also need to have the power train inspected by a diesel shop. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You could call several of the camp grounds in the area for a referral. Chula Vista Marina and RV Park or the San Diego KOA might be helpful. Also call La Mesa RV, San Diego is their HQ, and ask who they use. Additionally go on rvservicereviews.com and click on San Diego. I find the reviews on this site to be pretty accurate. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Thanks Kirk, a friend of mine sent me a link for NRVIA too, do you have any experience with them? 

There are two mobile inspectors in my area but they dont seem to be mechanics nor have any expertise on the drive trains for Class A, and specifically diesel RVs - like you say.  Nor even the generators.  I get the impression they cater more toward 5th wheels, but I could be wrong

A certified inspector should be able to inspect the vehicle, oil sample, chassis, and the RV parts. No need to spend money on two inspectors. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 3 weeks later...

An NRVIA Certified Inspector is not certified to inspect the chassis, except visually. 

I attached a list of inspection points for a Class A., which includes 3 - 5 fluid samples.

A Premier Class A inspection by an NRVIA certified inspector can take up to twelve hours actively inspecting.

The chassis should be inspected by Freightliner.  

Premier Motor Home Inspection IRVI.docx