New Thousand Trails Adventure Pass... Hard Pass!!!!

aztex

Holy cow!

I have been receiving phone calls and emails about this and was pretty excited to see what it offers....

The program looks GREAT but the price? My quote on basic pass upgrade: "Get the Adventure membership for as low as $262.12 per month payable for 72 months at 16.99% APR. Based on a purchase price of $15,595."

$16,000!!!!!!!! For a camping pass!

Thousand Trails! You got brass! I'll give ya that!

16.99% APR???  Holy batpoop batman!!  And with a low price of $15,595!  But, if you can pay $262.12 per month, use it to stay free at a campsite, 12 months a year, It might be a good deal but that APR??  I thought loan-sharking was illegal?  LOL  Might be a good deal if someone has the cash to pay upfront and lives full time in one of their sites.  It would pay for itself in 5 years, then it's good for life, yes?  It's not for me but if it's for you, go for it.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

12 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

16.99% APR???  Holy batpoop batman!!  And with a low price of $15,595!  But, if you can pay $262.12 per month, use it to stay free at a campsite, 12 months a year, It might be a good deal but that APR??  I thought loan-sharking was illegal?  LOL  Might be a good deal if someone has the cash to pay upfront and lives full time in one of their sites.  It would pay for itself in 5 years, then it's good for life, yes?  It's not for me but if it's for you, go for it.

Let's go ahead and call it 17% APR....

Ridiculous! Comes out to ~$22,000

Not to mention yearly dues of at least $1000.... So over 5 years you'd pay at least $27,000...

I thought last time I considered a 1000 Trails plan the APR was like 2%..... or even 0%.... Almost did it a couple years ago...The plan which was 90% of what this Adventure Pass is seemed much more reasonable...

Edited by aztex
math

I knew a guy in New York who had a crooked nose who would give you a better rate on a loan but he wanted to be paid back within 90 days, lol lol lol. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

19 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

16.99% APR???  Holy batpoop batman!!  And with a low price of $15,595!  But, if you can pay $262.12 per month, use it to stay free at a campsite, 12 months a year, It might be a good deal but that APR??  I thought loan-sharking was illegal? 

Apparently you haven't looked at credit card rates.  Many Visa and Mastercard providers are much hgher.  Capital One ranges from 8.15% to 26.99%.  I've seen cards as high as 29.99%

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

The main point of this addition is the 21 day park to park Encore Parks.  BUT, thats another $615 a year.  I spent 180 nights in encore last year with just a camping pass.  If I do the math, with financing, the trails collection add on, and the annual dues, its around $400 a month.  Thats pushing real close to normal monthly rates at a lot of RV parks.  Where I am now is much nicer than any Encore park I have been in and its $440 a month.

Edited by mfredm
numbers

My credit card charges 9.95% on purchases which is still loan-sharking considering the bank is paying less than 2% for the money they loan back at 9.95%. When I was in business I wish I could bought product for $2 and sold it for $10.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

2 hours ago, mfredm said:

The main point of this addition is the 21 day park to park Encore Parks.  BUT, thats another $615 a year.  I spent 180 nights in encore last year with just a camping pass.  If I do the math, with financing, the trails collection add on, and the annual dues, its around $400 a month.  Thats pushing real close to normal monthly rates at a lot of RV parks.  Where I am now is much nicer than any Encore park I have been in and its $440 a month.

Yes!

I think it's an OK deal without the outrageous APR. As-is you would not see an advantage for over 5 years. As you say ~$400 gets you into a decent park almost anywhere. So to be locked in to a specific system needs more incentive in my book.

PLUS...It's in-house finance. TT takes NO RISK once you sign up. Even if you default they simply sue you and rescind your access. I financed my Tundra to the tune of $36K at ~3% APR. If I default it's a HUGE expensive headache for the bank. I could hide the Tundra and they'd never get possession. Yet 3% APR assures they make a profit.....

Bottom line is the lowest down monthly needs to come in well below what average RV park monthly "rent" would be. 

The usurious APR smacks of scam and lowers the perceived value of the product.....

We've looked at TT and others a couple of times. Each time we decided that we are better off with our lifetime Passport America membership. We started out with an annual membership, then went to a few years, then to the lifetime. We've already saved more than what we've spent, and we didn't use it at all in 2020.

Of course, PA parks aren't resorts, and there are limitations, but we don't go to resorts anyway, and we can either work around the limitations or just go elsewhere. Depends on what we're doing at that time.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Trouble with PA parks is in the summer on the west coast, maybe 2 or 3 days at most, no weekends, and they are few and far between on the west side of the mountains.  Since we spend most of the time in the PNW in the summer, TT works for us.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

When we looked at TT, they could only promise a site and could not guarantee a 50 amp site.  This was a definite NO for me.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Apparently the new membership does give fulltimers what they've been asking for - the ability to buy an extra week 4 times a year, two holiday booking, an expanded Trails Collection program just for them.  

However, that's a lot of money even if you could buy it outright.  If a person stayed in Thousand Trails every night of the year, though, it might be worthwhile.

We really like our membership - it has saved us tons of money.  Ours is an old Alliance membership upgraded to Elite and it's really the best deal out there so far as we are concerned.

If I was buying a Thousand Trails membership I'd probably be looking in the used market (i.e. Campground Outlet) rather than going with this membership.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

16 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Trouble with PA parks is in the summer on the west coast, maybe 2 or 3 days at most, no weekends, and they are few and far between on the west side of the mountains.  Since we spend most of the time in the PNW in the summer, TT works for us.  

We have noticed that PA, over the past couple of years have become more restrictive as to days of the week that the Pass will work.  Certain holidays and seasons are blocked out as well.  In addition, we see the quality of some of the parks in the system has dropped.  

I doubt is we will renew PA next time.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 8:29 AM, aztex said:

Holy cow!

I have been receiving phone calls and emails about this and was pretty excited to see what it offers....

The program looks GREAT but the price? My quote on basic pass upgrade: "Get the Adventure membership for as low as $262.12 per month payable for 72 months at 16.99% APR. Based on a purchase price of $15,595."

$16,000!!!!!!!! For a camping pass!

Thousand Trails! You got brass! I'll give ya that!

Just try and sell it later on.