I've done some searching but not finding much regarding policies to protect your stored stuff while full timing.  Most policies require you own or rent property to cover.  I've been with State Farm for 30+ years but they won't insure personal items in a storage unit if your full timing.  I'm surprised this isn't a much discussed issue.  When I called and talked with two different Escapee CS they indicated first time anyone has asked about it.  Any pointers to reliable insurance that is not limited to less than 25K would be appreciated!

We have a renter's policy as part of our USAA insurance package for full-timing. It's primary purpose is to cover our personal effects that are in the RV during the time it's not moving (while under way, things are covered by our auto insurance). A side benefit is that the renter's policy also covers everything in our climate controlled storage unit back at the launch site. The storage facility just requires that I provide a copy of the policy renewal each year for their records. Now... why we still have stuff in a storage unit is a discussion for another time and place.😐

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Just now, grclark888 said:

Thanks I appreciate your reply.  My understanding is that USAA is for military families, so I'm not qualified.

If you had a parent who served, you qualify. My response, however, was not to push you toward USAA, but to explain how our insurance was structured. You might check with your current insurance carrier to see if 1) you might be covered already and 2) if you could add that coverage to your current policy.

Rob 

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

1 minute ago, grclark888 said:

Thanks Second Chance.  I did talk to my State Farm agent.  If no homeowners or renter policy, then no content insurance possible.  Dad was in Merchant Marines not US Navy, so that's a no go I think.  The USAA website says for military families.

How are you covering the contents of your RV, then?

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

1 hour ago, grclark888 said:

I did talk to my State Farm agent. 

Unless things have changed, State Farm Insurance does not offer a full-time clause for their RV insurance. You need more than what you had when using the RV for weekends and vacations so you need to make sure that it is in the policy to cover if the RV is your only home. Fulltime insurance is usually an additional clause to cover the things most people leave to a homeowner's policy. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, SWharton said:

WE have ours through USAA.The subject of being a full timer never came up, why would it.

USAA is unique because it was originally  set up to cover Army officers who might have stuff stored all over the world so every thing is covered every where. They have greatly expanded who they will cover so it's worth a call to find out if you might qualify.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

41 minutes ago, sandsys said:

USAA is unique because it was originally  set up to cover Army officers who might have stuff stored all over the world so every thing is covered every where. They have greatly expanded who they will cover so it's worth a call to find out if you might qualify.

Linda Sand

Actually USAA was set up by 25 Army officers to insure each others autos. It has expanded but membership is still limited to active, retired, and honorably separated veterans and their children (as long as the parent is a member). Membership can't be passed to siblings or parents.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

32 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

USAA is no longer an Army association but a for profit business that is now owned by Charles Schaab. 

Partially true, Kirk. USAA was never an "Army association." It was always in the private sector and not associated with the Federal government. Charles Schwab Corporation acquired USAA's investment and brokerage accounts in 2019, but the insurance business and Federal savings bank still operate independently.

Rob 

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Actually USAA was set up by 25 Army officers to insure each others autos. It has expanded but membership is still limited to active, retired, and honorably separated veterans and their children (as long as the parent is a member). Membership can't be passed to siblings or parents.

But, it's no longer limited to officers and the number of military services eligible has increased as well so more people are finding themselves qualified. I think the most recent one might be the Coast Guard but I don't keep up to date so that could have changed as well. My point is it never hurts to call and check.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

49 minutes ago, sandsys said:

But, it's no longer limited to officers and the number of military services eligible has increased as well so more people are finding themselves qualified. I think the most recent one might be the Coast Guard but I don't keep up to date so that could have changed as well. My point is it never hurts to call and check.

Linda

That's pretty much what I said, if you would please re-read. My point was that it is still around military service in a relatively narrow interpretation. On the other hand GEICO, which originally stood for Government Employment Insurance Company has nothing at all today having to do with government employment.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I have no knowledge of USAA, but I can echo some of the above warnings.  You need to be extremely careful when buying insurance as a full timer.  When I went full time I stopped at an independent agent whose major business was like mine, referral from the next door mailing service for full timers in Sioux Falls, SD.  A couple of years later we had cameras and other gear stolen from a rental car.  At that point we found (1) we had no coverage and even extremely limited coverage if our stuff had been stolen out of the RV and (2) the specialized independent insurance agent had no idea what he was selling or what was appropriate for a full timer.

After our bad experience, we shopped for insurance that had reasonable coverage for full timers.  We quickly found (1) almost no companies, none of the majors had suitable insurance and (2) even company agents had no idea about what was needed or what their policies provided.  We eventually found a company with good, but expensive policies.  A couple of years later they stopped providing suitable insurance but by then we were no longer full timers.  The issue seems to be that RV insurance is modeled on auto insurance.  It provides little or no coverage for theft and loss of property.  That is typically covered by renters or homeowners insurance.  

There are two companies that specialize in full timer/RV insurance. They are referenced many times for insurance, Miller and FCIS.

You just need to ask and someone will have the information.

Here is the list I have for RV insurance.

FCIS 800-331-1520

Miller Insurance 800-622-6347

AIS Insurance

RV Advantage

Foremost Insurance

Explorer Insurance

I have no idea how many are still in business. We use FCIS and our full timer policy, through them is with Nationwide.

Both FCIS and Miller understand the needs of full timers.

FCIS and Miller are not insurance companies they are insurance brokers. Several years ago I had Nationwide thru Miller. Nationwide doubled their premium and I switched to Geico. Miller was not able to find any insurance company that could beat Geico’s premium. I was sorry to leave Miller because they provide excellent customer service but $$$ are $$$. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer