adding a stained glass window to door

I've done a search and come up empty on installing a stained glass window in the RV door.  I've heard that some people add a piece of glass, acrylic, or lucite to the outside to protect the stained glass from the weather.  Which is best, and what do you use for spacers between the two sheets of glass so the came doesn't get damaged or scratch the other sheet of glass.  And, is there room for both pieces?  I know I need some butyl tape, but could use some advice.

RV entry doors are not all constructed in the same way so that will play a major role in the way you need to approach this. I have seen many RV doors that had what appears to be stained glass but if examined closely it is actually a sheet of film that was applied to the existing window material. In recent years, most of the windows in RV doors have been some type of plastic, rather than glass. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Big Rick said:

A true stained glass has leaded inserts. Would not the flexing and bouncing of an RV going down the road cause the leaded glass to break?

just asking and giving an opinion cause I do not know for sure.

I don't know.  My parents had a stained glass insert in their motorhome for over 10 years of full time travel and it held up well.  It was built for them to use in that manner, so it may have been heavier constructed.

That's a good point, Big Rick.  I would think some kind of cushioning on the bottom would be prudent.  I have the stained glass piece, and I want to replace the "bathroom" glass that came with the trailer.  I think adhering a piece of glass to the outside of it with caulking along the edge would go a long way in stabilizing it.  Just wondering if anyone has done this.  I saw some posts about it on the Escapees Facebook page (I think) a few weeks ago, but I can't find it now.

I believe there was a vendor in Quartzsite during the RV show that did the stained glass in the door.  I have no other info on it.  So it can be done.  Good luck!

On Edit:  I just did a Google and here is a 'how to'.  There are more if you Google.

https://alwaysonliberty.com/2018/04/rv-stained-glass-window-installation-guide.html/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have stained glass in our door as well as several of our friends. No problems so far after 10's of thousand of miles between us. Easy to install in our fifth wheels (mostly DRV and Landmark 365) as it takes about 20 minutes and a little bit of sealer.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We just used grey rope caulk on the frame. Your window will have an inside and outside frame. We used the caulk on the outside between the frame and the door and everything has stayed in place and is well sealed.

Our stained glass window

That window has been in our door for 2 years and about 20,000 miles

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 1 month later...