volunteer jobs 2021

Just when I was beginning to think it was easier to get the first position last year  than get the second this year, bingo! got many offers now to consider  One place offered a position with 32  hrs.@ week  paid  and a site FHU, its a huge place in Utah. another in Colorado I didn't get a good feeling on the phone interview and declined especially after last years issues 🥵 then spoke  with a place in Michigan I like there way of doing business and felt good about the interview. I was hoping this would pan out but know I cannot worry about what I can not control. Low abd behold I got a E mail yesterday about they still doing interviews  and hoped I was still interested. My reply was yes  still interested but I am searching other options. Today I get the official offer and complete description of job duties  and compensation. I believe I will sign  on the dotted line when it comes. 

You all have given me much knowledge and helpful encouragement to not get locked into another situation like last year. Thanks  and I'll let you know if and when its a done deal

George the Greek 

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, 2gypsies said:

Hope you get the one you want!  Keep us posted.

Yes Ive been on the road for a couple weeks heading to Michigan for the summer job. Probably take another two weeks to get there. I don't travel in straight lines and get side tracked easily. I expect to show up for the job on 7 may 2 days early to get set up and ready to start on the 9 mY

If you are being paid it is not a volunteer job it is a work camper job. As a paid employee you pretty much have to do whatever they tell you. I only volunteer in State Parks or National Parks. I don’t get paid but I tell them what I am willing to do and how many hours I am willing to volunteer. I have work camped before for pay and both times it was a disaster and I will never do it again. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

51 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I only volunteer in State Parks or National Parks.

We too only volunteer and don't do paid jobs, although we have received a stipend a couple of places but most of those have disappeared due to budgets. In addition to state and national parks, we have done 3 county parks  in 3 different states, 9 different national wildlife refuges, a game management unit for Florida game & fish, a tree farm for the VA state forestry dept., and a non-profit grass airfield. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We started out only volunteering and did so because we like to choose our hours and projects. In the last couple of years we have taken on some paid jobs and it is nice being compensated for our efforts even though our budget does not need it. In our 8 1/2 years, we have volunteered in 30 states and plan to hit all 48. For paid jobs, we have worked at a ND farm hauling sugar beets, sold christmas trees in Forth Worth, worked 2 private RV cg's, and drove school bus in Texas ( they trained and assisted with "S" CDL licenses).

Don't be afraid to try different things, sometimes what you think won't work actually does! Our latest thing is 3 months max, any longer and we just get bored. We are currently hosting at a NC SP and heading to a NWR in NJ next. Where are you going in Mich, I know that state very well?

We are in a volunteer/workamper market right now, most parks have openings and are begging for help!

Edited by gjhunter01

I would suggest to those looking for help to lower the number of hours required to this older population.  I realize that there is a limitation on the availability of RV sites which is why some singles are also overlooked but it may be time to be a little creative.   

On 4/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, trostberg said:

I would suggest to those looking for help to lower the number of hours required to this older population.  I realize that there is a limitation on the availability of RV sites which is why some singles are also overlooked but it may be time to be a little creative.   

Call them and talk to them, you may be surprised at what can be negotiated, especially if you have a skill they really need.