Park model or metal house.

GlennWest

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a shed out on our covered patio with washer/dryer and a freezer in it as well as room for some storage.  But really, the vertical storage is what makes such a difference.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

38 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

We have a shed out on our covered patio with washer/dryer and a freezer in it as well as room for some storage.  But really, the vertical storage is what makes such a difference.   

Yes, I can see a freezer on the porch. We got to have a w/d inside though. I want a dishwasher in it too. If you mean by vertical storage a loft?

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

You must understand, the shed is on the patio area and is enclosed, nothing sitting out except the table/chairs and grill for entertaining.  The PM we purchased is an older used one (cheaper) and because we are in the desert, ages pretty well.  The new ones are even better with stacked appliances, etc.  and when we come off the road, we will be looking at getting a newer one.   Just a word of warning, it takes a few days before your foot quits reaching for the pedal to flush the toilet!  And when we start up each spring, it takes me a couple of days to remember, reach with the foot!😎

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I like the floor plan but those interior doors are pretty narrow. Not sure the walker I used after my knee replacements would have fit through that bathroom door. We now live in a 1-bedroom, 1-bath, apartment and it feels HUGE!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thanks. They do make walkers as narrow as 22". The bathroom door is 24" the smallest. Bedroom is 28". One could not be used in our Teton. We have got to go look at some. I see avantages in 11" wide over 15" wide. Longer walls allow wider refrigerators. Bedroom gets a little cramped though. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Have you looked at say a destination trailer like the Cedar Creek Cottage, more like a travel trailer with slides but much easier to move if needed especially not needing a permit. Just thinking out loud, might not be as roomy as a park model.

Cedar Creek Destination Trailers | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com)

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

2 hours ago, dblr said:

Have you looked at say a destination trailer like the Cedar Creek Cottage, more like a travel trailer with slides but much easier to move if needed especially not needing a permit. Just thinking out loud, might not be as roomy as a park model.

Cedar Creek Destination Trailers | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com)

Would want to get away from slides. Really don't understand why you would recommend it. They also have tanks. Not needed.

Edited by GlennWest

14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Would want to get away from slides. Really don't understand why you would recommend it. They also have tanks. Not needed.

Like I said in my post just thinking out loud as another option. Don't like it so keep looking 👍

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Noticing on loft models in 15' wide stairs take up w/d area. To get a loft and w/d going to have to get a 11'2" unit. Yes, need to take a trip to look. Thinking loft would be good for grandkids coming over. Well, more like great grand kids. Ours about grown. lol. Can use a sofa in living room also. 

Edited by GlennWest

More I think on it may just build the metal house. Yes, would have property tax on it. Keep me busy when retired finishing it. Don't think I would save much if any. Those park models not bad price for what you get. I haven't done the math but lot of money goes in finishing a dried in home. Well done some shopping on lowes. Came up with 7k for sinks, w/d, tub/shower kit, w/h, d/w, kitchen sink and basses, commode, stove. House comes plumbed. Add wiring to that. Insulation and sheetrock. Building is 18k. I should be able to do it for less than 45k. This would be a 24X30x10. 720 sq ft. 

Edited by GlennWest

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

More I think on it may just build the metal house.

You might want to consider something of this type, It is a picture of our home that we owned for 8 years.  You can see a variety of steel building homes by visiting this tour of the community.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Think that more money than I can spare.

Could be. Contractor built they can easily run to $150k or more. If only the building is put up and the inside all self built they tell me that it is between half 1/2 and 2/3 of that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Been researching 24X30 floor plans. All i find have the bathroom and kitchen opposing each other. Actually kitchen center back wall on 30' length. Bath on front wall 30' length. This makes rather long hot water lines. Would like bath and kitchen side by side. Short water lines drains short to. Actually made up my own. Put kitchen directly to side entrance to the left with bathroom at end of that wall with w/d in between. Two 12X10 bedrooms on back wall. Leaves large dining/ living room area. 

Edited by GlennWest

I recommend anticipating future health for both of you. DW and I have health problems that makes having only one bathroom quite inconvenient.

I just spent a month in the hospital due to multiple organ failures, 2 Dr.s phoned my wife to tell her I was dying, but I am slowly recovering with more surgery in the near future. Anyway, we cannot use our MH now because it has only 1 bathroom. Our only option, at our ages is to buy a porta-potty for those necessary times;buying another MH with one and 1/2 baths is not an option.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Interesting. Be fairly easy to put a 1/2 bath in. Might just do that. Both bedrooms are 12X12 so room for it in there

Edited by GlennWest

If you like your DRV and can live in it, why not put it on your property, build a suitable sized ramp and increase the width of the steps up to the bedroom  to accomidate a lift chair. Putting some sort of enclosure around the trailer could be possible too. Buying something you haven't lived in will bring up things after you live in it for a while you wish you had noticed. At least that has been my experience. 

Good luck with you search and ultimate decision. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Teton. DRV been gone for some time. I want the house so I can have company over. If I get to work for another year or two it will not be a financial burden. We are good with the Teton for now. Later in life I think I would be sorry if we don't go this route. We are putting Teton on property and build house beside it

House I am considering is $18k. It is concrete, plumbing, pole structure, metal siding, roof, trim, all metal, 24 gauge. 24X30'. Also full length porch on 30' side. Two windows, 3 foot door. I will have to stud out wall to sheetrock. I can do 2' centers since no load bearing. On the ceiling, I wonder how siding would look. It is either that or suspended ceiling. Siding ceiling would allow blowing in insulation. Very strong. Just curious how it would look. 

Edited by GlennWest

• GlennWest changed the title to Park model or metal house.
1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

House I am considering is $18k. It is concrete, plumbing, pole structure, metal siding, roof, trim, all metal, 24 gauge. 24X30'. Also full length porch on 30' side. Two windows, 3 foot door. I will have to stud out wall to sheetrock. I can do 2' centers since no load bearing. On the ceiling, I wonder how siding would look. It is either that or suspended ceiling. Siding ceiling would allow blowing in insulation. Very strong. Just curious how it would look. 

Others will have to help with how it looks but blown in insulation only works when the ceiling is sealed so air is trapped.  Just remember to use plastic or whatever under it if air can move through it or the seams.  Otherwise you will have a good air filter with little insulation qualities.  In our garage we are planning on metal siding over plastic for the ceiling.  Our roof trusses are 4' on center and the metal will span that without additional framing.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I believe all metal buildings are built to allow air flow in roof area. Prevent sweating. So you saying if blown in insulation is used it won't work? First I have heard. I could use rock wool but more work. 

24 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I believe all metal buildings are built to allow air flow in roof area. Prevent sweating. So you saying if blown in insulation is used it won't work? First I have heard. I could use rock wool but more work. 

Air flow is critical for nearly all roofs to prevent sweating but it should be through the soffits or vents for OUTSIDE air.  The ceiling needs to be sealed or air will readily pass through it taking your cooled or heated air with it.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift