Park model or metal house.

GlennWest

As many here know my wife's health is taking me off the road. We were thinking just parking our camper on lot. Camper paid for. Truck paid for. But DW uses a cane to go up steps now.  Had once thought about a small metal house. I would have to finish the inside myself though. Been looking at park models and they look nice and very functionable. Price around 40k. Might could find a used one but not researched yet. I don't want to go in debt. Think I have got a 2 year job to start soon. I could sell truck and rv. Might get enough to pay for it. A 400 sq ft should suffice us fine. What your thoughts on this.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were looking for an inexpensive quick home, mobile homes would need careful consideration.  Especially used mobile homes.  These usually have better insulation and more square feet for the dollar than any other home.  

Stairs are one thing we will not have in our new home.  Like your 5er ours has a lot of stairs and we don't do stairs well.  Stairs may soon end our RVing!

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I have looked at used mobile homes but all I find are too big. We don't need or want multiple bedrooms. Bigger home more cost to heat and cool. More to clean. 400 sq ft looks just right to us. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We like ours.  Even being quarantined in it has been ok because of our huge patio area.   Assume you would build a ramp up to get inside?   Would like a second room to keep sewing machine set up.  We’re thinking about getting one with an Arizona room and 1/2 bath when we stop traveling completely in just a few years. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks, Barbara. Thought I remembered you have one. An extra bathroom is nice but we get by fine now. Ones I looking at are 15' wide. That looks like a lot after all these years in a fifth wheel. Lol. 

We recently sold a park model home that we'd bought "just in case" about ten years ago.  We've stayed in it for anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months at a time, and most recently 9 months due to COVID and our volunteer gigs being canceled. 

It was well-built and very comfortable, and with the residential type bathroom, kitchen, and HVAC a nice change-of-pace from the RV. As you note, they just seem more spacious than even a big fifth wheel.

We had ours in an RV community where many (most?) folks have added a room on for a second bathroom, bedroom, etc. In Texas Park Models home are still considered vehicles as long as they aren't permanently built in, so are not subjected to property tax. 

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

12 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

In Texas Park Models home are still considered vehicles as long as they aren't permanently built in, so are not subjected to property tax. 

But aren't they subject to sales tax, unlike a site built home? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In Arizona, park models are classified the same as mobile home and are subject to property tax.  Ours is about $100 a year.   Like many, we are in a mixed RV park (snowbirds).  I agree the second 1/2 bath and an extra room aren't needed, and we don't feel the need right now (though it would be nice) but when we give up RVing in 2-3 years, that will become a MUST for me.   One of the big difference is the HEIGHT available for vertical storage in a PM, which is why they feel larger.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

44 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

In Arizona, park models are classified the same as mobile home and are subject to property tax.  Ours is about $100 a year.   Like many, we are in a mixed RV park (snowbirds).  I agree the second 1/2 bath and an extra room aren't needed, and we don't feel the need right now (though it would be nice) but when we give up RVing in 2-3 years, that will become a MUST for me.   One of the big difference is the HEIGHT available for vertical storage in a PM, which is why they feel larger.   

Our ceilings in our Teton is tall. I am 5'9" and need a stool to get to the highest cabinets. They mostly not used due to that. But the ones I am looking at are 400 sq ft or a little less. That is more room than my Teton.

I think a park model with a very nice enclosed porch would be a perfect set up. I know that is what i would look for when our travels come to a end, good luck on your decision. 

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I looked at one today that had a bed above the porch. That be nice for grandkids. Ladder inside going up to it. Not enough room for a bed frame though. Also out of curiosity I looked up my Teton and found prices $30.000. They still have them so might not get that much but is impressive. Get somewhere close to that and my truck and about break even. 

Edited by GlennWest

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

We recently sold a park model home that we'd bought "just in case" about ten years ago.  We've stayed in it for anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months at a time, and most recently 9 months due to COVID and our volunteer gigs being canceled. 

It was well-built and very comfortable, and with the residential type bathroom, kitchen, and HVAC a nice change-of-pace from the RV. As you note, they just seem more spacious than even a big fifth wheel.

We had ours in an RV community where many (most?) folks have added a room on for a second bathroom, bedroom, etc. In Texas Park Models home are still considered vehicles as long as they aren't permanently built in, so are not subjected to property tax. 

What do you mean permanently built in. I would underpen it and remove Hitch.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

What do you mean permanently built in. I would underpen it and remove Hitch.

Ours was underpinned with hitch and wheels removed, and still classified as "mobile".  Folks that attached theirs to concrete piers or slabs, or especially if they added an addition that was fixed to the ground (essentially "built the park model in") lost that classification.  The definition may vary based on the particular appraisal district that evaluates your property. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Our ceilings in our Teton is tall. I am 5'9" and need a stool to get to the highest cabinets. They mostly not used due to that. But the ones I am looking at are 400 sq ft or a little less. That is more room than my Teton.

Ceiling height at the center is 11-12', 9' or more at the sides depending upon how old they are.  There are still some flatroof one left, that look like wide trailers, but very, very few.    Full size ladder required to get up high enough to clean off the ceiling fan arms. Cabinets are over 8 ft with storage on the top.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Ceiling height at the center is 11-12', 9' or more at the sides depending upon how old they are.  There are still some flatroof one left, that look like wide trailers, but very, very few.    Full size ladder required to get up high enough to clean off the ceiling fan arms. Cabinets are over 8 ft with storage on the top.  

Ones I have been looking at state 8' walls. Ceiling vaulted so yes, fan would be ladder. Cabinets couldn't be over 8'. Now I did see a note where an option required taller walls.

Edited by GlennWest

9 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Ours was underpinned with hitch and wheels removed, and still classified as "mobile".  Folks that attached theirs to concrete piers or slabs, or especially if they added an addition that was fixed to the ground (essentially "built the park model in") lost that classification.  The definition may vary based on the particular appraisal district that evaluates your property. 

Thank you. I will have to check with county on the concrete. Would like for it to be on concrete. If I ever have to get under it, would be nice. 

Edited by GlennWest

9 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Thank you. I will have to check with county on the concrete. Would like for it to be on concrete. If I ever have to get under it, would be nice. 

FWIW - Ours was on stacked concrete blocks, with tiedowns.  So I think that is still ok.  But there is a point where the foundation can become an issue. Best to find out what that is so you know. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

6 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

FWIW - Ours was on stacked concrete blocks, with tiedowns.  So I think that is still ok.  But there is a point where the foundation can become an issue. Best to find out what that is so you know. 

Thanks again. will do. Concrete not worth loosing tax exemption. 

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Been looking at park models and they look nice and very functionable. Price around 40k. Might could find a used one but not researched yet. I don't want to go in debt. Think I have got a 2 year job to start soon. I could sell truck and rv. Might get enough to pay for it. A 400 sq ft should suffice us fine. What your thoughts on this.

We recently sold our park model of 6 years. Loved it.

However, we found that what's more important than the park model itself is WHERE you put it.

Ours was on BLM land leased by a private campground who was free to raise rates whenever it wanted.  And they did that a lot. That's why we left. Instead we bought a manufactured home in a resident-owned RV park which I think is far better choice than a private park as it's in the resident's interest to keep rent low.

Anyway, I suggest getting a park model with a loft. It can serve as additional storage space as park models have limited storage, typically the "basement" under an attached porch.

Good luck.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We have roughly 3 acres of land. Plenty of room for storage buildings, solar racks, etc. I agree 100% with what you stated. We like our piece of land. Back far from the main road. Great community of people. The police force is great and keeps it clean from drugs and such. I let them put up camera on my property. 

Edited by GlennWest

I was researching and checked out small mobile homes. Was not impressed. 200 amp service. electric heat. Looked cheaper. Just not as good a craftsmanship. Although they were less money. About 10k less on comparable size. 

We have looked at the park models and one thing that is quickly apparent is that at 400 sq. feet, they do not have nearly as much storage and closets as does our 40 ft 3 slide 5th wheel.  We looked at several smaller mobile homes and they all look and feel cheap.  Kind of spoiled with our trailer.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot