Hitch Placement

Overthinker

21 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I am not familiar with drive axles that lift.  Is that possible?  For off hwy use it seem the lift axle would need to lift pretty high.

I don't see how you could have a lifting drive axle, but of course there are lifting tag axles.. But then you only have half the drive tires. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

I am not familiar with drive axles that lift.  Is that possible?  For off hwy use it seem the lift axle would need to lift pretty high.

1 hour ago, Overthinker said:

Let me check with the dealer again but I’m almost sure its an option even in 6x4 configuration but I’m easily confused😀

You are correct, can’t have liftable drive axle.  Learn something everyday.

4 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I don't see how you could have a lifting drive axle, but of course there are lifting tag axles.. But then you only have half the drive tires. Jay

Volvo does offer such an animal in Europe. The rear axle has a clutch in the differential that disengages the axle. They call it a liftable tandem axle.

To the OP if you are shopping a new truck, ask about rear suspension options. The standard Volvo/Hendrickson air leaf is not the greatest for axle articulation. The old style walking beam suspensions set the standard for off road use, but not something you want on your RV hauler. A suspension like the Hendrickson Primaxx EX will give you the axle movement you need to keep all the wheels on the ground. Not sure what Volvo would offer for options.

One reason our tandems don't like uneven ground is the sizing of the air lines to the suspension bags.  They act like Donvel fittings, restricting transfer of air between the bags.  Go look at the lines on other trucks, and you'll likely see bigger fittings.  Bigger lines=faster axle articulation in uneven conditions.

Every KW I've looked at had them.  My Mack had the small lines, and I had to go very slowly over rough ground to let the axles get happy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Kenworth AirGlide AG230 (single) AG460 (tandem) AG690 (tridrive) is a pretty decent air suspension if it is the flat spring steel links on the end of the sway bars style (vs the earlier "wishbone" style).  Folks that have to slang name everything call it "8 bag" even though it has 4 air springs (not bags like the exploding accident safety dealies) per axle not 8. 

Bob tail it will articulate over at least a frozen horse tird vs most air suspensions that will spin you out on a bottle cap... 

Driver controlled locking diffs are the key to happiness if you are messing about off pavement.  Not just the interaxle lock but actual locking diffs. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thanks Noteven.  If I were buying new, and intended to get off pavement, it would be a KW or Pete.  Much as I like our Volvo, in uneven terrain, it sucks.  It simply wasn't designed to be off the hard stuff.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

AirGlide (230 and 460) is a 4 link suspension meaning the axles travel parallel to each other in the up and down axis vs a slight arc. The u joint angles stay parallel. The sway bars are connected to the axles with a flat spring steel connection that allows the axles to track side to side a little bit so they “steer” a little so the truck tracks better on rutted pavement etc. 

Thes suspensions put power down to the ground without all the frame jacking and wheel hopping and shuddering drama. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.