Not about access, but about a PC

lappir

Over the last few weeks I have arrived back home to see my computer with the screen saver on. Sounds normal right. What if you can swear you turned the computer off when you left to go to work. At first I thought I didn't actually wait for it to completely shut down before disconnecting my phone and that was the cause. Nope, it does not do it every day, but enough that I started to turn off the electric power strip when I leave. 

I have carted the computer to my Mom's for this weekend and it happened again. She say's she didn't touch it. At home there was no one there except a cat, but he's back at his usual home now. 

Do I need to unplug my PC now when ever I am not using it? Is there a way to check a log of time when the computer has been "ON"?/"OFF"?

I have an older "All in One" Lenovo. Is it time to replace?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I also have an older Lenovo laptop that works great majority of time. However on infrequent occasions it will just shut down or restart when I am not around or using it and with no programs such as video running.  This is inconvenient and mysterious as I sometimes loose my many tabs in some browsers.  I have good anti malware and anti virus installed such as Malware Bytes.  NOW I log off the internet when not using the laptop to see if this stops the shut downs.  I suspect a long running scan with anti virus such as Malicious Software removal (MRT) may cause this but just a guess.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

26 minutes ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

I also have an older Lenovo laptop that works great majority of time. However on infrequent occasions it will just shut down or restart when I am not around or using it and with no programs such as video running.  This is inconvenient and mysterious as I sometimes loose my many tabs in some browsers.  I have good anti malware and anti virus installed such as Malware Bytes.  NOW I log off the internet when not using the laptop to see if this stops the shut downs.  I suspect a long running scan with anti virus such as Malicious Software removal (MRT) may cause this but just a guess.

If you're running a newer OS, like Windows 10, often they continue to operate in the background even though they're "off". Mine reboots regularly, but then I use hibernate mostly. Updates are usually the cause of a restart. I have my browser set to reopen with last used tabs, so I don't lose those tabs. I generally have 20-30 tabs open all the time. If you're on Chrome, you can go to history and reopen those tabs. Jay

Maybe your computer is set to sleep or hibernate instead of turn off when you use OFF and something is making it come back on.  Go to Settings->System->Power & Sleep and select "Additional Power Settings" on the far right.  Then "Choose what the power buttons do".  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I always use the "Power" / "Shut Down" buttons on the Start Menu to shut off my computer and have never had it turn back on again all by itself.  I rarely use the "Sleep" button unless I'm going to come back to finish up work in a short amount of time and I want to leave some windows open.  Even then, I've never had a computer turn back on all by itself.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I'm not on a LAN, there is no internet available if my phone is not connected (that I can see anyway). I do not connect with any local WiFi in the area and see no open ones to connect with at all. 

It's a first for me. I always use Shut down and never choose the Update and shutdown unless I will be there to check and see if the computer light goes off completely and it has recently only to be back on when I get home 12 hours+ later. 

Thanks to all who replied. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Is there a chance you have left a program running when you "shut down"?  I have had issues if I don't close all programs the computer will not shut down.  It usually asks are you sure and the option to "shut down anyway" is clicked it will shut down but sometimes I am in a hurry and just close the lid after selecting shut down and I come back the next day and it is still running.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I have noticed that our two Toshiba laptops will at times wake up and restart. I don't remember where, but I recall reading that the newer versions/updates of Windows 10 do not really completely shutdown the computer when just using the shutdown in the power popup at the bottom left of the screen. That article said that to completely shutdown, hold the shift key then click on shutdown and hold the shift key until the screen goes black. Seems to work.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:09 AM, durangodon said:

Thanks for researching, guess I could have done a search before asking, but then I wouldn't have asked. Glad to know it wasn't just me. I will turn off the power or unplug it for sure till I am able to fix it another way. 

Thanks again Senior Member durangodon

2007 Honda GL 1800

55 minutes ago, lappir said:

Thanks for researching, guess I could have done a search before asking, but then I wouldn't have asked. Glad to know it wasn't just me. I will turn off the power or unplug it for sure till I am able to fix it another way. 

Thanks again Senior Member durangodon

I'm glad you brought it up.  I'd never heard of this problem and I'm running three machines with Win10, one of which stays on all the time.  I don't like Win10's knack for updating on it's own and rebooting in the middle of the night.  The reboot wakes me up.  I prefer to choose when to update and when to reboot.

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

I'm glad you brought it up.  I'd never heard of this problem and I'm running three machines with Win10, one of which stays on all the time.  I don't like Win10's knack for updating on it's own and rebooting in the middle of the night.  The reboot wakes me up.  I prefer to choose when to update and when to reboot.

Change your Internet WiFi connection settings to "Metered" and only priority updates will be installed without asking.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

I had a computer do that ten years ago or so. I forget what it was but when it does happen go to start, settings, view update history and see if there were updates on that date. If it is Windows updates doing it you can make a note of the second Tuesday of each month and anytime after 12 noon in your time zone (Windows staggers it across the world) go ahead and manually check for and install all updates. If it still does it then you will need to do some deeper diagnostics. I always shut down my computer with the start / power / shutdown. But I did it back then as well so it is not

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire