CALL ME CRAZY, Ordering 2022 VNL 740 Mid-Roof, Good or Bad Idea??

Overthinker

20 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I once used a length of rope, laced though the wheel and around the tread, to get out of snow with a 2wd pick-up.  Perhaps a little red-neck enjinearing, but it got me out of there.

22 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

I have used chain hitched to the tire, through the rim, many times to get a farm tractor out of the mud. It will work on a car or truck also. Not chain but a strap. If you have lockers it's easy if not then it takes more work. You can use 2 sets of straps, or cage the brake with the tow straps and apply the parking brake. I am hesitant to mention chaining the other wheel so it cant spin will work also. 

I am also very curious about the Tiger Claws, we used to put hardwood branches across the side of the tire through the tire chains it would lift the truck up out of the mud, got us out if the woods more than once, 3/4 ton 4x4 not HDT. 

Had a '76 K5 Blazer and buried it at the edge of a field... had enough chain and strap to reach a tree with a 2000lb come-a-long... Put the Blazer in 4low and wedged a stick on the accelerator so the rpm was about 1200 and got out and pulled on the come-a-long.  It moved 6 foot at a time....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The first year of ownership of an HDT you'll figure a ton of stuff out.  From what I thought I wanted in an HDT to what I would have ordered after a year was significantly different.

Assuming you'll get it right on the first try is a pretty big assumption.

If money doesn't matter, forge ahead on a new truck order, if you decide you don't think certain things work for you just order again.  If money matters I'd recommend you pickup an HDT, run it a year then order what you want after you figure out what works and doesn't work.

The stuff that changed for us:

- singling, I thought I wanted short, actually ended up with longer due to bed length desire

- the bed, I thought we'd use the toy hauler garage, actually the bed on the HDT was a better fit for us; I changed the bed a couple times before I got it right

- HDT cab height, way bigger deal then I thought it'd be, lower is better

- onboard fuel, more is a huge deal

We also significantly changed our travel habits as the kid aged; to where the HDT became a hinderance.  I even purchased a non HDT to pull the 5th wheel when using the HDT for every trip was too inconvenient.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

• 1 year later...

Nice looking truck. Congratulations. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

10 hours ago, podwerkz said:

I offer a free beak-in service. Over the next 18 months I wont charge you anything to drive it thru several states and various weather conditions. I will let you know how it handles everything.

Again, no charge!

😎

That's awesome lol!  I wouldn't mind someone to drive me and the family around.  My wife wouldn't tow with the dually but says she will drive the new truck so I can rest haha.  I will probably be even more stressed out.

No problem....you might need time to recover after spending probably 'a buck seventy five'.

😉

Part of the reason I 'jest' is because brand new class 8 trucks ALWAYS have little issues to work thru...these trucks are complicated machines and not all the bugs and quirks are caught up with and fixed before they hand you the keys.

You might be tempted to think it will be perfect and trouble-free...but it wont. 

Little things like plastic rattling, odd beeps and buzzes, HVAC issues, dome lights that dont work right, door latches that wont latch, squeaking hood latches, small air leaks, etc...and maybe even issues with the driveline, such as sensors that fail in the first few hundred miles, cruise control that won't set, MPG readings that are way off, etc etc etc. 

Things to be aware of...they DO happen....when you have little issues, just be aware they are normal. Your dealer will be able to work things out. 

Also, brand new duals can take 10,000 to sometimes 50,000 miles to settle-in to the point where they really feel planted and solid. Your first season of driving this new truck, you might feel like the rear end is a bit...'wiggly'...this is normal and other than checking the tire and suspension air pressure, not much you can do except pick the smoothest lane when you can, and just keep driving it....it'll get better!

Enjoy!

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, Overthinker said:

the kids could sleep in the bunk or eat at the table, no more bathroom stops (every stop ended up being 30 minutes minimum)

Please, for safety's sake, reconsider having paseengers, esp your kids, not wearing seatbelts while the truck is in motion.  Things happen and even if it isnt an accident involving a crash, an evasive maneuver which they may not know about can cause them to slide around the sleeper and become injured or even interfere with your ability to control the truck.

Marcel

Good catch on the safety factor.

Brand new class 8 sleeper trucks are required to be equipped with a sleeper net. (occupant restraint system!) 

Not a bad idea to pull it out of its plastic bag and using the hooks installed around the sleeper or bunk opening, put it in place and leave it there when the kiddos (or anyone) are riding in the bunk. 

This net might be stuffed under the mattress or in a sidebox. While you are looking for it, make sure your hazard kit (triangles, spare fuse kit, etc) and fire extinguisher plus bumper hooks (if equipped) and owner's manuals are all there.

Your dealer SHOULD spend some quality time with you, and especially should go over the customer delivery checklist to make sure everything is there, and everything is working.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

On 6/15/2022 at 5:52 PM, podwerkz said:

Good catch on the safety factor.

Brand new class 8 sleeper trucks are required to be equipped with a sleeper net. (occupant restraint system!) 

Not a bad idea to pull it out of its plastic bag and using the hooks installed around the sleeper or bunk opening, put it in place and leave it there when the kiddos (or anyone) are riding in the bunk. 

This net might be stuffed under the mattress or in a sidebox. While you are looking for it, make sure your hazard kit (triangles, spare fuse kit, etc) and fire extinguisher plus bumper hooks (if equipped) and owner's manuals are all there.

Your dealer SHOULD spend some quality time with you, and especially should go over the customer delivery checklist to make sure everything is there, and everything is working.

I agree with everything you said.  Plan to install seat belts and I've been looking at the possibility to install a net for the entire sleeper area for use while driving.  I've never been a fan of people roaming around in motorhomes while driving.

I hope to spend an hour or two with dealer going over everything.  We ordered essentially every option available and I have no idea how to work most of it.  Our dump truck has a shifter, clutch, brake, throttle, and PTO; that's about all I know how to operate.