Almost retired couple looking for advise on a travel trailer until we do go full time in a couple of years

Arnwrkr

10 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The RV which Arnwrkr is considering has a GVWR of 6400#. The F150 has a wide range in load capacities, depending upon the configuration. The maximum towing weight ranges from as low as 5,000# to as much as 11,300#.

OP said they have a 2016 3.5L F-150 with tow package.  The specs for that vehicle in its most stripped down configuration show:  Dry curb weight of 4049.  Payload of 1920. CGVW of 9400.  Max towing of 5000. GRAWR of 3300.  I'm not sure how you safely tow a 6400 TT with that rig. If the TV has any accessories the numbers are even worse.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I would also recommend a weight distribution system like the Equalizer. Make sure you have trailer brakes and they are properly set up with your truck. 

I tow a NASH24M with a 2018 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD. Mostly travel around Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. I summer in Wisconsin. 

A 3/4 ton would be better for sure but it works ok for now. That's all I have. 

In terms of tow vehicles, I've seen some crazy stuff the past COVID months with newbies. Sales person probably said yes it will tow just fine.   

Edited by sheldons65

• Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to help us with this major decision.  Like so many other, I am sure, I had no idea it would be this complicated to pull a travel trailer safely.  After more research it turns out we have a SuperCab F150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost, an L3 axle with a 3.31 axle ratio and a 145 in wheel base. If I am reading the chart right that should give us a Maximum trailer weight of 7600 lb.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  following the advise from all of you, we shopped all weekend   We have found the TT that we absolutely love.  The Grand Design Imagine 22MLE. It has a GVWR of 6995. Please let me know if I can do this safely.  You guys are the best!!
Edited by Arnwrkr
misspell

Travel More... Money returns, Time doesn't

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMIMNMONENV

11 minutes ago, Arnwrkr said:

If I am reading the chart right that should give us a Maximum trailer weight of 7600 lb.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

We can't make this determination.  As several people have said, maximum trailer weight is not the only issue.  Payload, CGVW and axle capacities also play into this determination.  LindaH gave you the correct tools and procedures for determining the answer to this question.   Her post is on the first page.  Because these numbers are likely to be close we can't answer this question without weighing your truck with everyone and everything in it.  If you had a 250 or 350 the answer would be pretty clear.  For the trailer I would assume 10% of GVW as the hitch weight.

Jinx and Wayne

Looks like a nice trailer - I can see why you love it.

You might be able to make it work with your truck, but you will have to work at keeping your weights down.  It’s not the trailer weight that will get you in trouble, it’ll be the truck’s payload most likely.

You said in an earlier post that your payload sticker says 1661 lbs.  With a trailer that’s essentially 7,000 lbs (plan on it being at the trailer’s GVWR especially if has some of the various options).  That means your tongue weight should be somewhere around 850 lbs (give or take 50 lbs or so).  That leaves you 800 lbs for yourself, wife, any pets, a tonneau cover or shell and any equipment you might want to put in the truck (bikes, firewood or propane fire ring, chairs, table for outdoor, propane grill, cooler, etc.).  If you think minimalist as far as putting anything in the truck, you might be able to do it.  I would guess that you are not planning on much boondocking - adding extra solar and/or generator could put you overweight.

Getting a good weight distribution hitch and having it set up correctly will be critical - that much tongue weight could easily put your rear axle over it’s rear axle weight rating.

It also depends on what/where you plan to travel with it.  Driving a couple of hundred miles on a relatively flat stretch of road is a lot different than driving over Powder River Pass in Wyoming.  If you are careful about your weights, you could probably do the couple of hundred miles on flat land.  Powder River Pass (8% grades) and many of the passes in Colorado might be too much for that engine.

My first 2 years of trailer ownership was towing my trailer with a marginal TV (5500 lb trailer when the TV was rated at 6200, 620 lb tongue weight, 1050 payload).  I made it work but I carried almost nothing in the vehicle and was very careful what I put into the trailer and how I loaded it.  It was a lot of work.  I now tow the same trailer with an overkill truck and it’s a whole lot easier and a much more relaxing experience.

I hope you can make your proposed trailer work for you!  It's a beauty for a 26'....good storage, big holding tanks for that size and I like that the TV is on an arm and can be viewed from the comfy chairs or from bed.  Good luck!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 4 months later...

UPDATE:  We did buy the Imagine XLS 22MLE.  We set it up in a friend's RV park 20 miles from home for a week after buying it and commuted to work from there.  Learned a lot without being too far away.  We did keep the F150 and towed it back and forth from there.  But there was the nagging feeling that it might not be enough truck, so we bought a 2017 F250 SuperDuty 6.2L V8 with 20,000 miles on it from CarMax. (they gave us $3,000 more for the F150 than we paid for it 2 years ago)  We used it on our first "real" camping trip to Daisy State Park in Arkansas this last weekend.  Lots of hills which the truck had no problem at all with.  Thanks again for all the input on this critical decision.  Next:  In 2 weeks we are off to Divide, Colorado then to Loveland for a few days.

Travel More... Money returns, Time doesn't

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMDMIMNMONENV

• 2 months later...

Congrats Arnwrkr! If you ever have a emergency stop because of someone expecting you to stop so they can enter the highway on an entrance ramp at the bottom of a 6% downgrade, with an 18 wheeler next to you in the left lane, and you grab all the brakes you have manually working the controller slide for the trailer brakes so as not to lock em up or jackknife into the 18 wheeler, and they don't speed up until almost too late, you'll realize how important a few pounds can be. I was towing a 12,500 pound 36 foot HitchHiker fifth wheel full-timing loaded, with my wife and pup in the cab of our 1992 Ram 1 Ton diesel Dual rear wheel with highway gearing. We installed a Pac Brake after that and one more scare with almost lost brakes both service and the trailer brakes barely slowed us enough for a safe exit at the bottom.

RVing is no fun if you are white knuckling it and making skid-marks. (in your skivvies)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, Nlrotra said:

My wife and I are both recently retired and are waiting for our TT to be built.

Welcome to the Escapee forums and to RV life! While that isn't an RV that I'm familiar with, I did look at their website and it is impressive. It should serve you well. Hope that you will become a frequent contributor to the forums.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Nlrotra said:

My wife and I are both recently retired and are waiting for our TT to be built. We found a trailer from Intech that is 26’ and was designed to be pulled by a 1/2 ton. Check them out. 

I had never heard of the brand.  Interesting design and I like the clean-looking interior.  Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Wm9ZYdOf0&ab_channel=MountComfortRV

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, Nlrotra said:

My wife and I are both recently retired and are waiting for our TT to be built. We found a trailer from Intech that is 26’ and was designed to be pulled by a 1/2 ton. Check them out. 

The question may not be can that truck pull that trailer. The question may be can that truck STOP that trailer. The second is more important to most people. If the answer to the second one feels good to you then I hope you enjoy your travels.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 hours ago, sandsys said:

The question may not be can that truck pull that trailer. The question may be can that truck STOP that trailer. The second is more important to most people. If the answer to the second one feels good to you then I hope you enjoy your travels.

The OP upgraded the truck to 3/4 ton in June and bought a TT.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

23 hours ago, Nlrotra said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one - the website makes them look interesting.  The larger one (the Terra) looks like it may be the one you ordered (?) and could indeed be towable by a half-ton, though it would depend on the particular half ton - not all half tons are created equal.  The trailer’s GVWR of 7500 lbs is within the tow rating of many half tons.

It doesn’t say whether the tongue weight is “dry” or an estimate of what it might weigh out of the factory with options.  I might be concerned about tongue weight when loaded, if the weight given is out of the factory (and definitely if it is “dry”).  Looking at the design (very nice from the photos), I think the tongue weight would run heavy because the trailer is built over the tongue.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing as far as towing is concerned, but might be an issue for some half ton trucks if they are low in payload.

I’d like to see one sometime, it’s one of the prettier designs I’ve seen recently and the floor plan looks very functional.