Turlock California to Orlando FLA 12/21

Turlockbill

We are planning a trip to Disney World the first of December 2021 from Turlock CA, what is the consensus? I have not tried a winter trip cross country! Is the southern route pretty good that time of year? Also any suggestions on were to stay in Orlando and I was also thinking on staying for a while maybe going to the Keys?

Thanks 
Bill

Just stay on I-10 except the I-12 bypass around New Orleans. When you get to I-75 in FL turn south until you get to the Florida Turnpike. Take that to Disney.

<ake sure yopu have reservations in the Keys begore heading that way and prepare for sticker shock

Edited by agesilaus

You might try the state parks with springs: Manatee Spring, Rainbow springs, Blue Springs and others and the fed cg Alexander, Juniper and Salt Springs. This year it seems to be possible to get a spot since visitation is down. Be warned that it is in the 30's here tonight in north central FL, we are having another cold (for us) winter. Anyway those parks are excellent. The Florida Parks system has won the best in the US award multiple times including this year IIRC.

down to the 30's ? and here i believed florida never got below 70 F. and 300% humidity. guess i have been told wrong.

but yes take hwy 10, as some places along hwy 40 will be snowed/iced in at times, do not even think about hwy 80 up north.

one of these days i would like to see the state.

Are you staying on site at WDW?   The RV Park is great and we love staying there.  Yes, pricey, but there is so much to do and easy to get around to all the different areas using the Disney Transportation System.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, stay south on I 10.  Are you going to drive hard every day? Or do you have time to see some things? 

Florida will be chilly in December. Not bad. See Sarasota, Ford and Edison estates. Ringling circus museum. Keys are great. Elks lodge in Tavernier is a great stop but reservations needed. Bahia Honda SP, can't remember which island, is great by itself but close to Key West.

Awaiting your answer.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Make FL reservations some months before you go, the keys in particular.  If you stay on property at WDW make those reservations now.  Starting Dec 1 FL begins to fill up.  WDW RV is always hard to get into.  There are a lot of off-property CG near WDW.

FL weather varies greatly depending upon where you are on the peninsula.  Northern FL is greatly influenced by  continental weather patterns.  Mid to southern FL weather is moderated by the ocean.  We are in Avon Park.  The coldest night so far was 39.  Today will be 80 and tonight 63.  Humidity is not high.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Thanks for the replies! I have reservations for 10 days at KOA Kissimmee, we could not get reservations at onsite for Disney World! I think we will head south to Key Largo next for a couple weeks then head for home taking our time with a stop in Bham Alabama maybe if the weather permits! 

Bill

13 hours ago, Turlockbill said:

Thanks for the replies! I have reservations for 10 days at KOA Kissimmee, we could not get reservations at onsite for Disney World! I think we will head south to Key Largo next for a couple weeks then head for home taking our time with a stop in Bham Alabama maybe if the weather permits! 

Bill

Disney reservations need to be made a year ahead or more.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834