Smart car ramps question

trimster

Soooo, my bed height with the bags aired down, looks to be 42-43". 12' ramps are appropriate to 40". Higher than that, the break at the top is too much for clearance of the Smart.

Discount ramps has ramps for Smart cars and HDT, and they have been helpful...but... they only have 12' lengths that fold.

Here's my thoughts and/or questions:

- Are there other sources for ramps that might fit the bill? (14' foldable that carry 2k lbs)

- Will the 12' ramps work if I build a brace to the ground at the hinge point to force an arch in the ramp? Their motorcycle ramps have a 12* arch. The Smart car ramps do not have an arch.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Blocking at the bottom of the ramps to decrease the climb of the ramps. Think RaceRamps.com

Build the deck lower.

Blocking at the top of the ramp. Remove after the rear tires are off, and before the fronts come on.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Robert, to change the hinge angle, you can put one side of a 1”x1” steel angle in/on the top of the hinge. Bed frame material works. It has the effect of reducing the deck break over angle.  

On the 19” Discount ramps, I cut and removed the last splined traction rod which increased the clearance and eliminated rubbing in our old 451.  Not sure if it would be necessary for 453 smart. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I believe my bed height is closer to 46" and when I load slowly by cable, I have about a 1/2 inch clearance.  Picking your area for loading has the most effect on clearance, if needed, place a 2x6 under the bottom of your ramps and or that piece of angle iron at the hinge of the ramps.

I do get into the car and drive it off.  Adds a couple hundred pounds, but doesn't touch bed.

'

Edited by HERO Maker

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

The edge of my deck is 44 inches and I use twelve foot ramps.  I sometimes use 2 pieces of 2x8 about 20 inches long on the deck about a foot from the edge for the wheels to climb over.  That will make a huge improvement  in the break over.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

We have nearly a high a bed as yours. and 10' ramps.  We put a 2x12 at, not under, the base to give the car a little head start so the air dam doesn't drag.  Wife drives the car on/off.  If I try it, the suspension sags enough to drag the bottom of the car at the breakover point.

So, some things to consider:  Putting something in the hinge can reduce the angle of the breakover, at the expense of increasing the approach angle at the bottom.  Forgetting about the hinge, the RaceRamps mentioned by Darryl solves both issues.  That's the direction I'll take.  About 6" high and 2' long should work nicely.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Been using the 12’ , 19” big boys ramps for 11 yrs no rub as long as use an offload area with bit higher on load side. 

Even if a rub it’s minimal no issues. Mostly with me in car driving off. Almost never winching on. 
May bed is a bit high with ramp storage under bed top of frame. 

Edited by billr
Spelling

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Still waiting to see someone build a rack on the deck to haul the car at an angle, that matches the angle of the load ramps.

This would overcome the breakover angle issue and provide some storage below the car on the deck for storage.

Build it right and you could do oil changes and minor work under the car while on the deck.

Would also get the car within the deck width, making it fit in the width requirements.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

27 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Still waiting to see someone build a rack on the deck to haul the car at an angle, that matches the angle of the load ramps.

This would overcome the breakover angle issue and provide some storage below the car on the deck for storage.

Build it right and you could do oil changes and minor work under the car while on the deck.

Would also get the car within the deck width, making it fit in the width requirements.

There was a gentleman about 10 years ago by the name of Russ Barnes  from Tennessee who had a side angled smart deck on his bed with storage underneath.   He also designed a swing out spare tire carrier for the back of his smart.  Smart man.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 minute ago, SuiteSuccess said:

There was a gentleman about 10 years ago by the name of Russ Barnes  from Tennessee who had a side angled Smart deck on his bed with storage underneath. 

So did it work for him?

Jackalopee

20 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

So did it work for him?

Yes,  I’ll search my photo files.  May have a picture.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks all. I think I'll do a combo of a pre-ramp and increasing the hinge angle.

I will have a winch-on option as well to help with the Smart total weight.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

7 hours ago, Parrformance said:

That is how I carry a Subaru Crosstrek lengthwise.  The ramp angle is carried all the way up.  I load a RZR under the front of the car with the roll bar removed.  It also has a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 100 gallon waste tank under the ramp structure. The Volvo has a 42" cab that is low enough that the front bumper of the car is over the cab but the slope keeps the overall  height a couple of inches less than 13'.  It isn't a Smart but it works for us.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Randy, we ran into the exact same problem.  I built 3' extensions out of wood.  I drilled two small holes at the end of each ramp with corresponding holes on the extensions.  I slide/drop in two bolts, to lock the ramps to the extensions.  Works like a charm.  Once in awhile, I find a spot where the ground rises significantly and we don't need the extensions...just drive off on the 12' ramps.  You'll figure it out, where there's a will, there's a way!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

9 hours ago, Randyretired said:

That is how I carry a Subaru Crosstrek lengthwise.  The ramp angle is carried all the way up.  I load a RZR under the front of the car with the roll bar removed.  It also has a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 100 gallon waste tank under the ramp structure. The Volvo has a 42" cab that is low enough that the front bumper of the car is over the cab but the slope keeps the overall  height a couple of inches less than 13'.  It isn't a Smart but it works for us.

👍

Jackalopee

12 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Are there any threads where you show off your build?  I have a waste tank solution, but still looking for tool box and fresh water option.

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

I contacted Russ Barnes.  He sent a photo of one of the few times he actually loaded the Smart before health issues that caused him to forego full timing.  He reports that the issue in now under control but they are staying close to known medical care.  He sold the truck to someone in TN.

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/TbVm3AI.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/TbVm3AIl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by NeverEasy

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

1 minute ago, NeverEasy said:

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/TbVm3AI.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/TbVm3AIl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/m3zZPvb.png[/IMG][URL=https://i.imgur.com/TbVm3AI.jpg "target=new"]Click For Full-Size Image[/URL].

Chet:

You need to use the add media tool, add URL and remove the [img] code from the front and back of each image for them to show up. Ya, had someone help me with this as well. It's a real 'doh' kinda moment.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Thanks, Bob.  Posted lots of pictures before and never had to do anything but cut and paste.  I will give it a try.

Russel Barnes' slanted deck load.

TbVm3AI.jpg%20%22target=new%22

Edited by NeverEasy

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

22 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Thanks, Bob.  Posted lots of pictures before and never had to do anything but cut and paste.  I will give it a try.

Russel Barnes' slanted deck load.

TbVm3AI.jpg%20%22target=new%22

Thanks Chet.  If I recall, did he not enclose that angle for storage?  Russ was a great help getting me started into HDTing and an extremely smart and creative man.  Sad he is not more involved here but truly wish him well.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl:

I did not try to pry more information from him.  His email and phone number are on a post that he submitted when stuff went on sale following his decision to quit the RV life.  I hesitate to repost such info but will PM you.

Since I have you on-line, we will attempt to make the ECR.  Deb's mother is now 90 and needs more attention than in the past.  The lady who could watch out for her if we needed to get away a few days came down with COVID.  We will not attend the ECR if we have not been vaccinated and have someone to care for mom.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

1 hour ago, NeverEasy said:

Carl:

I did not try to pry more information from him.  His email and phone number are on a post that he submitted when stuff went on sale following his decision to quit the RV life.  I hesitate to repost such info but will PM you.

Since I have you on-line, we will attempt to make the ECR.  Deb's mother is now 90 and needs more attention than in the past.  The lady who could watch out for her if we needed to get away a few days came down with COVID.  We will not attend the ECR if we have not been vaccinated and have someone to care for mom.

No problem.  Understand.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3