OT: Home Security Systems

SuiteSuccess

I raised this question five years ago and got some good responses but feel things have changed significantly.  (Hunting trail cams are just not going to cut it anymore).  I am looking for a good 6-8 camera WIRED or WIRELESS system for my house.  Must be internet compatible so I can access from the road.  Doesn’t have to upload to the cloud (I have a way to hide the DVR or NVR so would be hard to find while siren is going off).  I have looked at the Arlo systems but climbing a ladder every 4-6 months to charge batteries is not my cup of tea.  Their solar system may be an option.  Lorex has an IP-POE system that uses Cat 5 type cable and would be stand alone.  I’m just not tech savvy so any suggestions or thoughts?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Take a look at Arlo pro security cameras, they are an affiliate of Netgear.  I haven't personally worked  with them but my nephew is very happy with his.  They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

48 minutes ago, Radar274 said:

Take a look at Arlo pro security cameras, they are an affiliate of Netgear.  I haven't personally worked  with them but my nephew is very happy with his.  They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

I have looked seriously at the Arlo system. Good reviews.  Problem is at my age, I’m not exactly in love with climbing a ladder to retrieve the batteries for recharging 3-4 times per year.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 hours ago, jcussen said:

Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Thanks 

I too am not to steady on ladders anymore, the simplisafe cameras are usb powered by a wall wart, so the power cable is small. I just ran the power cable through a window and it still closes tight. Or you use one of those USB rechargable phone chargers in an accessible location and they should last a pretty long time before recharging is necessary

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I have an older Lorax wired (8 cameras) monitoring house and shop.  I can access it via internet PLUS it has motion sensor capability that will send me an email photo when it senses anything.   It is about ten years old and probably due for upgrade but I probably never will.   If I am not home and someone breaks in and steals me blind I might have some photos of him/her but I seriously doubt law enforcement will ever catch them and even if the did the chances of recovering anything is small.  Good insurance is a must.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

VTC-TNT5RFE-2 Vitec 5 mega pixel cameras are the ones we use. They are hard wired to the recorder with 15 TB of storage. They can be accessed anywhere I can get an internet connection and  have a very nice picture and night vision capability.  The phone app is by Transcendent  and offers playback capability on multiple cameras

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 1/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

....  I’m just not tech savvy so any suggestions or thoughts?

Hard wired is going to be the best solution, a cat 5 cable from the camera back to a POE switch . Each cable run no longer than 100 meters, or about 330 feet. You can then connect a computer to the switch to be able to view live, opening up a browser window per camera for example. You can also connect the switch to a router and view live over the internet.

If you want to record the video, a stand alone DVR can be used and you can also connect it to the router so you can view both live and recorded video over the internet. A lot of the newer "DVR" have the poe switch built into them, as well as smart phone applications to connect remotely via internet so you dont necessarily need a computer. The DVR can be programed so that it detects motion in the camera view it will send a push notification to you, text or email. Of course a lot of that functionality is dependent on the internet being up and connected at the time!

There are also services that offer to record your video in the cloud, so you dont need the DVR just the switch and router. You pay a subscription service based on the amount of cameras and length of time you want to retain the recordings and they can also send push notifications on motion detection to a smart device via internet

You mentioned a siren, presume you are thinking security alarm system... the video system would need the capability to be integrated into a security system to record on events, such as alarm, arm/dis arm etc and again these notifications can be pushed out. If you have the security system monitored by a central station they can also offer the cloud services for the video recording and can perform video verifcation of an alarm event prior to dispatching to the police.  These types of systems can be configured to use phone lines, cell signals, internet or combinations of them to send the signals to the central station so its not dependent on a single transmission method.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how dependent you want the solution to be on internet technology.  Things to think about are the reliability of the internet connection at the house, 120 volt power and battery back up for the switch, router, DVR, security system etc. Are all the cameras going to be interior, will the lighting be enough to record the video at 3 am or do you need cameras with built in IR for night vision? If cameras are exterior they may need additional housings, heaters, blowers, etc in them to be able to survive in the enviornment. 

At the other end of it,  your location and connectivity when on the road to be able to receive timely notifications when an alarm is triggered or motion is detected and then when you do get it, what is your response to it?

Hope that helps and gives you some things to think about.

4 minutes ago, palmeris said:

Hard wired is going to be the best solution, a cat 5 cable from the camera back to a POE switch . Each cable run no longer than 100 meters, or about 330 feet. You can then connect a computer to the switch to be able to view live, opening up a browser window per camera for example. You can also connect the switch to a router and view live over the internet.

If you want to record the video, a stand alone DVR can be used and you can also connect it to the router so you can view both live and recorded video over the internet. A lot of the newer "DVR" have the poe switch built into them, as well as smart phone applications to connect remotely via internet so you dont necessarily need a computer. The DVR can be programed so that it detects motion in the camera view it will send a push notification to you, text or email. Of course a lot of that functionality is dependent on the internet being up and connected at the time!

There are also services that offer to record your video in the cloud, so you dont need the DVR just the switch and router. You pay a subscription service based on the amount of cameras and length of time you want to retain the recordings and they can also send push notifications on motion detection to a smart device via internet

You mentioned a siren, presume you are thinking security alarm system... the video system would need the capability to be integrated into a security system to record on events, such as alarm, arm/dis arm etc and again these notifications can be pushed out. If you have the security system monitored by a central station they can also offer the cloud services for the video recording and can perform video verifcation of an alarm event prior to dispatching to the police.  These types of systems can be configured to use phone lines, cell signals, internet or combinations of them to send the signals to the central station so its not dependent on a single transmission method.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how dependent you want the solution to be on internet technology.  Things to think about are the reliability of the internet connection at the house, 120 volt power and battery back up for the switch, router, DVR, security system etc. Are all the cameras going to be interior, will the lighting be enough to record the video at 3 am or do you need cameras with built in IR for night vision? If cameras are exterior they may need additional housings, heaters, blowers, etc in them to be able to survive in the enviornment. 

At the other end of it,  your location and connectivity when on the road to be able to receive timely notifications when an alarm is triggered or motion is detected and then when you do get it, what is your response to it?

Hope that helps and gives you some things to think about.

Very nice post, thank you.  Presently I have a monitored system inside the house that, if breached, sounds a loud siren and initiates a call to authorities if not silenced in a fixed time.  It is battery backed up and will still send even if internet input is compromised.  I will not discuss online other security measures I have in place.  I am wanting to upgrade my outside system since we travel and at present I cannot access outside system while away from my property.  I am thinking that wired IP with the Cat5e is my choice so I don’t have to worry about battery changes.  I will have a battery backup for the system and a way to capture images of any perpetrators.  Now just to find the brand that’s best.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hi Carl,
We have a monitored system that was installed about a year ago to replace the old system. It is a combo of wired and wireless sensors for alarm, fire, flooding. Can arm/disarm detached garage and house independently from cell phone, tablet or PC. Will email me on breach our entry/exit. Is Alexa enabled so arming is easy by voice. I have a small app (tinyCam Pro) on my cell and tablets for monitoring 9 wireless camera's. Also, tried a new Reolink solar powered battery powered wireless camera on our back driveway and has worked very well at motion alerts and live monitoring away from house. It also notifies me on motion and records to SD card which I can access remotely. The other ones are Foscam  indoor wireless cameras for my house and business which use SD cards for local storage. The camera's do not use cloud storage but can if you want to pay for that. Also, added TP-link Smart home switches, plugs and bulbs to set routines for lights to come on a random times or can turn on/off about 20 lights at once if see suspicious activity. Also, ecobee thermostats all Alexa enabled to control heating and cooling remotely.

18 minutes ago, RickS said:

Hi Carl,
We have a monitored system that was installed about a year ago to replace the old system. It is a combo of wired and wireless sensors for alarm, fire, flooding. Can arm/disarm detached garage and house independently from cell phone, tablet or PC. Will email me on breach our entry/exit. Is Alexa enabled so arming is easy by voice. I have a small app (tinyCam Pro) on my cell and tablets for monitoring 9 wireless camera's. Also, tried a new Reolink solar powered battery powered wireless camera on our back driveway and has worked very well at motion alerts and live monitoring away from house. It also notifies me on motion and records to SD card which I can access remotely. The other ones are Foscam  indoor wireless cameras for my house and business which use SD cards for local storage. The camera's do not use cloud storage but can if you want to pay for that. Also, added TP-link Smart home switches, plugs and bulbs to set routines for lights to come on a random times or can turn on/off about 20 lights at once if see suspicious activity. Also, ecobee thermostats all Alexa enabled to control heating and cooling remotely.

Thanks Rick

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I have been lightly concerned about RV security when away from the RV, especially in isolated areas. I am looking for a single camera system that records to an SD card(must when no internet), wired with battery backup(don't think this is critical). I had been thinking of a dash cam but think there might be something else now.

I found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-Indoor-Camera-Vision/dp/B07DGR98VQ/ref=pd_sbs_1?pd_rd_w=9xJWj&pf_rd_p=3ec6a47e-bf65-49f8-80f7-0d7c7c7ce2ca&pf_rd_r=V118SXZ19N8PTFJWR72B&pd_rd_r=ed77bef2-ab9a-4223-bb94-e5e26a014439&pd_rd_wg=PfTE1&pd_rd_i=B07DGR98VQ&psc=1

and would like your thoughts.

I would like a smaller footprint but that may not exist.

Also, don't want to break the bank.

Thanks

Not to derail Carl's question, but what about wireless cameras clad in camo?  I have trouble with people driving onto the farm and dumping trash.  Asbestos shingles, concrete, yard waste, you name it.  I'd like to put up some cameras that could be hidden and have non-visible flash (infra-red).

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 1/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

....  I am wanting to upgrade my outside system since we travel and at present I cannot access outside system while away from my property.

...  Now just to find the brand that’s best.

Presume the outside system you speak of is exterior cameras... your plan of hardwired cat 5 is the way to go... to a local dvr or to a cloud hosted recording solution ...put the dvr on your network so you can connect to it remotely either computer or smart phone app...

Best brand is subjective but by far the best cameras I have used are AXIS.

Hikvision Model # EKI-K41D44  decent DVR and camera pack

Dahua Model # C544E42 is a lower end dvr and camera pack

Just be sure to use exterior rated cameras with the proper housings and such for the enviornment you are installing them in

12 minutes ago, palmeris said:

Presume the outside system you speak of is exterior cameras... your plan of hardwired cat 5 is the way to go... to a local dvr or to a cloud hosted recording solution ...put the dvr on your network so you can connect to it remotely either computer or smart phone app...

Best brand is subjective but by far the best cameras I have used are AXIS.

Hikvision Model # EKI-K41D44  decent DVR and camera pack

Dahua Model # C544E42 is a lower end dvr and camera pack

Just be sure to use exterior rated cameras with the proper housings and such for the enviornment you are installing them in

Thank you.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  Got my system and getting ready for the install when warms up a bit.  Based on a relatives suggestion who owned a computer shop and has used this system for a long time, I bought a factory refurbished Reolink 8 camera IP wired system from Reolink itself not a reseller.  The whole system was less than $500.  Happy because I was thinking $1200-1500.  This is not a top of the line system but will be adequate for my needs and has good reviews.  The NVR is 2TB and expandable which I intend to do.  It not only records but also is internet connectable for remote access.  
    Want to thank everyone for the help and will update when installed with a review.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3