Servicing

Nwcid

I recently picked up a 2014 Volvo 630 with 420,000 miles on it.   Now I am going over the unit completely and making it what we went.  I am also servicing and checking everything.

This truck did not come with any records.  Do I just do a full fluid replacement (oil, trans, diff, coolant) or do I have those items tested to decide when I should service them?  

Are there any other systems that I should service?

If I wanted to have the service done at a shop, roughly what should I expect to spend?  I know it varies, but looking for a rough idea.  Some project it makes sense to let someone else do it depending on price. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

55 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

I recently picked up a 2014 Volvo 630 with 420,000 miles on it.   Now I am going over the unit completely and making it what we went.  I am also servicing and checking everything.

This truck did not come with any records.  Do I just do a full fluid replacement (oil, trans, diff, coolant) or do I have those items tested to decide when I should service them?  

Are there any other systems that I should service?

If I wanted to have the service done at a shop, roughly what should I expect to spend?  I know it varies, but looking for a rough idea.  Some project it makes sense to let someone else do it depending on price. 

When I bought our truck it had about 500,000 miles, a little more than yours.  I decided to change all of the fluids so I wouldn't  have to worry about it.  This gave us a baseline.  Testing  is a way I have seen some others go and it has merit.   I am happy with the way we went and by doing it myself it wasn't terribly expensive but I don't remember the cost.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Oil, change. Power steering, change. Coolant, test. Change all the above filters, plus fuel. Grease, yes please. Count on close to 50 grease zerks, + or -. 

There's drive through service bays every where, but count on close to $1000 for oil/filter/grease and rear oils. Trans service on an iShift is around $700 by itself. It's got spendy oil. All the above service will run around $500 for fluids and filters, minus the trans service. All depends on how dirty you want to get your knuckles.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If I were in your shoes, I would do the engine oil and fuel filters to start with. Coolant can be tested easily with test strips to figure out where it is at. The only reason I changed my coolant straight off was that it was only strong enough for -20F, and I had no idea what exactly was in it. So I just started fresh with ND appropriate mix.

Generally transmission and rears are recommended at 500k. I would pull the plug on the rears and see what it looks like. So long as the oil is clear and not milkshake looking you can wait a bit if you want. The transmission has a little window for the oil level. Same thing there.

I am not afraid to get "dirty", but I do it out of necessity, not that I enjoy it though.  Depending on the project, and what it will cost it makes more sense for me to pay someone else and either work a little more or use that time for things I do enjoy. 

I will start with filters and the oil change.  I will inspect the other things. Being able to spread this over a year, or even two will help as right now I am spending money on having a bed built, wiring for RV, Hitch, and all of those other expenses you know about. 

What is the best resource for find out the correct parts for my truck?

I seem to have a problem looking for parts in general.  Most things I find reference back to the 670 or 780 and I have a 630. 

15 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

What is the best resource for find out the correct parts for my truck?

I seem to have a problem looking for parts in general.  Most things I find reference back to the 670 or 780 and I have a 630. 

Depends on what you need. Engine and driveline parts don't care about the model or body style, except driveshafts. Interior parts only change behind the seats. 

ETA: If you can get friendly with a dealer parts guy, he can get all the part numbers you could ever want, strictly from your VIN. Of course, the dealership will expect you to buy at least some parts from them.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

21 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Most Volvo dealers will help you get parts with the last 6 numbers of your VIN. Volvo parts are “listed” by “build specs” by VIN.   

“Most” is the operative word.  I’ve been on the road and tried to call a local dealer and was asked if I was a regular customer.  When told no, was told they were too busy to help.  I’ve had to call my dealer where I live from 2000 miles away at times.  Wish there was a website where we could look up numbers based on VIN but sadly doesn’t exist.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Find a Volvo or Mack dealer nearby and establish a relationship.  Buy some stuff there, even if they're a bit high priced.  Once they know you, and you've treated them kindly, they'll bend over backwards to help, and your parts will get cheaper.

One of the oldest Mack dealers in the country is about 15 miles from me.  I started going there when we bought a Mack for the farm, and when we got the Volvo I asked if they could get parts for it too.  They've been very good to me.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 minute ago, rickeieio said:

Find a Volvo or Mack dealer nearby and establish a relationship.  Buy some stuff there, even if they're a bit high priced.  Once they know you, and you've treated them kindly, they'll bend over backwards to help, and your parts will get cheaper.

One of the oldest Mack dealers in the country is about 15 miles from me.  I started going there when we bought a Mack for the farm, and when we got the Volvo I asked if they could get parts for it too.  They've been very good to me.

I understand the concept.  I think the nearest one is 4 hours away.  There might be one that is only 2 hours away, but I have not checked yet. 

We recently had a PM service done at Speedco. It was $327 for the oil, oil filters, fuel filter, and grease. It was cheaper that what we have paid for at Freightliner. We have a Detroit Series 60 14L so different engines are different costs. We have changed the oil ourselves but the bin to capture 10 gals on oil is quite large and installing the new oil filters with oil in them is a pain, so I just take it in for this service.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Air conditioning system, it’s not the same level of importance as all the advice so far, but it was beyond my skill level.  I would guess $1100-$1600 range at the dealer, with no big parts replaced.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Oil, filter, fuel filters, greasing and a visual inspection on our 610 was running just under $230 at our local Cummins dealer.  I really couldn't complain about that price at all and it was nice to have (even if it was a cursorily) a look from another set of eyes.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far.  

If I can get the oil changed, fuel and air filters changed, lube and inspection for under $400 then to me that is money well spent.  

Part of me just wanted to know what I should expect when I call around.   I have only called one shop and they charge $98/hr plus materials. 

3 hours ago, Nwcid said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  

If I can get the oil changed, fuel and air filters changed, lube and inspection for under $400 then to me that is money well spent.  

Part of me just wanted to know what I should expect when I call around.   I have only called one shop and they charge $98/hr plus materials. 

$98 per hour is reasonable shop rate.  Dealers will be in the $125-135/hr and will usually have fixed number of hours per job (i.e. 1 hr for oil change even if it only takes 30 mins).  An independent that has a good reputation can usually do it much cheaper.  I get my oil changed at Speedco because they have a good reputation here (not so everywhere in U.S.).  They won’t do transmission oil changes and differential oil changes where I live nor antifreeze so I had independent shop for transmission and diff.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I just talked with another shop, the one that is 4 hours away.  This is the Volvo dealer, but they are more of a generalized fleet service company.  They do the DOT stuff for the company I work for and they have treated us well.  

They said for a "full" service they charge a flat rate for labor + fluids and on my truck that usually comes out to right about $400.  The also do a "general" inspection when servicing.  That can either be good or bad depending on the mechanic and how much they get for pushing extra parts/service. 

I need the computer programed and I was going to take it to them to do that.  Once the heavy snow goes away in a month or two, I will likely take it there for my first service.  Also I might need an alignment or steering work.  

It might cost a little more, but I can do it all in one place for the first time.

Edited by Nwcid

12 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

I just talked with another shop, the one that is 4 hours away.  This is the Volvo dealer, but they are more of a generalized fleet service company.  They do the DOT stuff for the company I work for and they have treated us well.  

They said for a "full" service they charge a flat rate for labor + fluids and on my truck that usually comes out to right about $400.  The also do a "general" inspection when servicing.  That can either be good or bad depending on the mechanic and how much they get for pushing extra parts/service. 

I need the computer programed and I was going to take it to them to do that.  Once the heavy snow goes away in a month or two, I will likely take it there for my first service.  Also I might need an alignment or steering work.  

It might cost a little more, but I can do it all in one place for the first time.

Good choice until you can find something different if you choose.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

You need to start building the relationship somewhere. The prices quoted here are substantially cheaper than anywhere I can get. Local KW dealer's shop rate is $175, independent's run about $50 an hour cheaper.

Please e-mail us here.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

“Most” is the operative word.  I’ve been on the road and tried to call a local dealer and was asked if I was a regular customer.  When told no, was told they were too busy to help.  I’ve had to call my dealer where I live from 2000 miles away at times.  Wish there was a website where we could look up numbers based on VIN but sadly doesn’t exist.

If they are too busy to sell you parts that’s just dumb.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I have been very lucky finding independent, busy shops in several locations. Total Truck in West Palm Beach, FL a place in Ponca City, Oklahoma and Super Wrench repair in Fremont, Iowa. They have all been under $400 for a full oil change, grease, changing all the oil filters and fuel filters. I will pay someone to crawl under and grease it a couple times a year. I should do it after every trip, but it seems to get pushed back till it's time to move again. Wish I had the central greasing and then I'd do it myself. Any one had one? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.