Volvo luggage compartment gas springs.

Parrformance

For those that consider themselves very frugal, or others that prefer the term, cheap bastard.  I have found gas springs for the luggage doors on the Volvo, $25 for all four with free shipping.

Takes 5 minutes each side to swap them out. Quit holding them up with your head on cold days.

https://www.amazon.com/C16-09209-C1609209-Quantity-Tonneau-Supports/dp/B00774U6HY

Fit and function exactly like the original Volvo units at 1/4 the price.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Thanks.  I need to replace mine.  Was gonna ask if they were standard for a 2006 780 then noticed that’s what you’re ordering them for.  DUH!

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Suite, clip the lower side first, then seat the upper.

Should have ordered new ones a year or more ago, just didn't want to spend $100.

One head wound too many, camping in the cold Tennessee mountains.

Jackalopee

17 hours ago, Parrformance said:

For those that consider themselves very frugal, or others that prefer the term, cheap bastard.  I have found gas springs for the luggage doors on the Volvo, $25 for all four with free shipping.

Takes 5 minutes each side to swap them out. Quit holding them up with your head on cold days.

https://www.amazon.com/C16-09209-C1609209-Quantity-Tonneau-Supports/dp/B00774U6HY

Fit and function exactly like the original Volvo units at 1/4 the price.

Michael

I was almost ready hit the link, but then saw the amazon at the beginning. If anyone is willing to post the part number, I will look for a non amazon location. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod,

It's interesting that you don't want to do business w/ Amazon.  I thought I was the only one.  Last year, we needed new sky light covers.  I google'd them, and found them both on Amazon and ebay, each for less than half the local rv stealers prices.  In looking at the adds from Amazon/ebay, I saw it was the same seller.  So, I google's that name, found their web site and bought from them directly for about half the Amazon/ebay price.  So, I got them for less than 1/4 price of local places, who are known for high prices.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, bja1234 said:

why not amazon?

As they've pointed out, many Amazon vendors also sell the  direct from their own web sites.  In those instances, buying from the vendor directly often gets you a better price because they're not paying the Amazon fees on that sale.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

9 hours ago, bja1234 said:

why not amazon?

For the same reasons I avoid Wal-Mart and other big box stores.  They're killing small town folks.  I don't mind paying a little more to keep a neighbor in business.  He'll be there when I need him, and take care of me.  Besides, blindly buying form Amazon can be pricey.  I bought a Milwaukee impact wrench locally for over $100 less than the Amazon price.  New, in box, and a certified factory Milwaukee repair center to boot.  Will I always be so lucky?  Not a chance.  But it pays to keep the local folks employed.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Several years ago when I had been smacked in the head enough, I carried one of our hatch support struts into a local NAPA.  The first young counter guy said they don't carry that brand, couldn't cross reference the part number etc...

Second old fart counter guy comes over and starts looking at the strut, measures the open length, compressed it (gas had long escaped), measured the compressed length, and guessed that a 20lb strength would work.  Looked on the computer for a few minutes, scribbled some numbers down and disappeared into the stacks.

Reappeared with 3 in his hand, all 3 were different part numbers and sizes but all close to each other.  We went outside and found the one that fit the best.  He had 2 more of the correct one in stock and ordered the 4th for me.  They were a little more than Amazon, but the service was great, and taught the younger guy how to source parts....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

For the same reasons I avoid Wal-Mart and other big box stores.  They're killing small town folks.  I don't mind paying a little more to keep a neighbor in business.  He'll be there when I need him, and take care of me.  Besides, blindly buying form Amazon can be pricey.  I bought a Milwaukee impact wrench locally for over $100 less than the Amazon price.  New, in box, and a certified factory Milwaukee repair center to boot.  Will I always be so lucky?  Not a chance.  But it pays to keep the local folks employed.

X2

Thanks

11 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Second old fart counter guy comes over and starts looking at the strut, measures the open length, compressed it (gas had long escaped), measured the compressed length, and guessed that a 20lb strength would work.  Looked on the computer for a few minutes, scribbled some numbers down and disappeared into the stacks.

This was how I found the part. I guess now I could get hired on as an old fart.🤔

Jackalopee

On 1/11/2021 at 7:27 AM, Moresmoke said:

Thank you for the link. I will do a local search to see what I can find. 

I have yet to purchase anything from Amazon and doubt that I ever will. I have family who own or owned small businesses and tried one myself many many years ago. Preditory pricing eliminated a couple of those ventures and the other small business owners (Farmers) had to keep getting larger and larger and turning into big business and are suffering more now than when they were a small family operation. 

I have seen many small town die, I have seen many great memories as a child and young adult vanish because the towns are mere shells of what they once were. The grand buildings have been torn down and replaced with boxy throw away structures that are eyesores when the too become abandoned. 

For those who lived in the city not much has really changed in the landscape. For those raised in the open country on a Farm or a Ranch the whole world has changed and it's hard to recognize, at least for me.  That is why I DO NOT and WILL NOT purchase anything from Amazon and I avoid anything that seems to think they have to have a store in every city, town, hamlet or village. Don't get me started on the Dollar General. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thanks for posting! Gives me the kick I needed to replace these things! Lol I hit my head all the time! Duh.  

Ordered! Arrive Monday  yay 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

The vendor is possibly scratching their head as to why so many are being ordered this week.  After looking on ebay and other vendor sites these were the least expensive (Amazon) with free shipping and returns (Prime).  They are suppose to be here Friday.  Now, does anyone have a match for the hood gas struts?

I too share some of the concerns about how the big box stores have put the small local merchants out of business.  I miss our old family owned hardware, farm, ham radio/electronics, RV parts stores.  Sadly, Amazon is now the ONLY place I can find many items that I need or want - especially small electronic parts and modules.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Ordered my struts last Wednesday night.  They arrived Last Friday (2 days).  Using a small blade screwdriver to lift the holding clips, I replaced all 4 in less than 10 minutes.  It was in the 40's, they do the supporting job very well.  Put your hand on the compartment lid edge when opening to slow them down or they will fly up.  If not, you could lose a tooth when the lid smacks you in the chin.  Happy camper!  Now, the old struts still had some spring back even though they would not fully support the truck's compartment lids.  I "checked" them by pushing against an old UPS scale and they tested at 20 lbs with good spring back.  I'm not going to toss them.  Still good for lighter compartment lids.  Something else to put in the junque box out in the barn.  Many thanks to Parrformance for the tip on where to find them for an excellent price.

Edited by RandyA

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I had an internal struggle with my frugal self over keeping the original struts.

The frugal self won a few of the battles but my "You've already got too much crap self" won the war.

They were discarded to the metal recycle guy.

Just need to find the hood struts next, maybe I will tackle it this weekend. 

Jackalopee

Replaced mine also.  Ten minutes like RandyA said.  No sag in my doors now.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have search for gas shocks for many different applications and found a couple manufacturers websites.  I was able to buy some for a different application using an applications guide that allowed me to use length, diameter and #s to determine best choice.  I found it amazing how many choices are actually out there and I didnt need to use info of the SPECIFIC

Marcel

The gas struts for the Volvo hood.  Does anyone know the "pounds" they are rated for?  I did find this on Amazon for the VNL but they are $29.75 each.  Than is better than the $50+ from a dealer but still pretty high in my opinion.

VOLVO VNL HOOD SHOCK 11QM417M

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Lift-Supports-Extended-Struts/dp/B00KWNWURG

There are two versions, 80lb or 95 lb.

I suspect either would work.

I weigh 150, and I can lift the hood and both my springs are completely worn out.

No pressure on either spring.

$56 for the pair.

Edited by Parrformance
Spelling correction

Jackalopee