Covid Vaccine in Texas

JimmyD

Just read in the Galveston Daily News, that UTMB Galveston is cancelling scheduled vaccinations after next Tues because of a new state policy sending vaccines to distribution "centers". As mine was scheduled for next Thursday, guess I am back on the waiting list.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got our appointments. This Thursday, as in day after tomorrow, at 1:00 in the auditorium here. Which means the second one will be February 11th. Then done! Yay! We'll still be wearing masks and social distancing for awhile after that, though, just to be safe. We'll be getting the Moderna one.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I went to the Texas State Health Department and it said that a pharmacy near us had 66 doses, I went to the website for the pharmacy and it said "Coming Soon". I guess this is what we may face, left hand not know what the right hand is doing, or vice versa.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

57 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I went to the Texas State Health Department and it said that a pharmacy near us had 66 doses, I went to the website for the pharmacy and it said "Coming Soon". I guess this is what we may face, left hand not know what the right hand is doing, or vice versa.

Agree, did the same and found out the info was out of date in my area and all the ones I called within 20 miles had none available.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

I went to the Texas State Health Department

Doesn't the county where you are have a website for sign up? That is what people here are using. It still depends upon your priority and it takes time based on the vaccine supply and the number of people who have signed up ahead of you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

37 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Doesn't the county where you are have a website for sign up? That is what people here are using. It still depends upon your priority and it takes time based on the vaccine supply and the number of people who have signed up ahead of you. 

Nothing in Galveston County, I was signed up at U of Texas Medical Branch, but appears their allotment is now going to Houston. Appears they are going to Vaccination Hubs, the closet one to me is in Houston, but still not easy to register. Lot of times just get voice mails and no place to put your name in.

Edited by jcussen

Here in Texas we signed up on multiple waiting lists.  We are in group 1b - over 65.  It took about a month, but yesterday we got a call with appointments for today.  Having specific times made it quick with short lines.  Got Pfizer, so far no side effects at all.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

5 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

.  Got Pfizer, so far no side effects at all.

We got our vaccinations two weeks ago in Texarkana, Texas, Moderna.   Shots were in the 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM timeframe.  My wife had no side effects.    For me, by the following morning, I had fever, bone aches, headaches.,, which lasted all day, Tylenol helped tremendously.   Went to bed that evening and woke up side-effect free the next morning.   And very grateful for the vaccinations...   No problems ever since.

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

9 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Sherman

Just wondering as we are in Mesquite. Texas is one of the best states on distribution of the vaccine that they are supplied, and I suspect the effectiveness of the states may well play a part in how much they receive. According to Becker's Hospital Review, TX continues to be one of the top states in getting people vaccinated, in spite of the problems that have been experienced here. I suspect that the size of the TX distribution system and the speed with which it is being put into action may be a factor in difficulties. Hopefully other states are watching and will learn from what is done here to resolve any problems.  Below is a list of the top 10 states for vaccinations programs, through 1/20/2021.

Below are the states ranked by the percentage of COVID-19 vaccines they've administered of those that have been distributed to them.

1. North Dakota
    Doses distributed to state: 68,675
    Doses administered: 56,608
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 82.43

2. West Virginia
    Doses distributed to state: 205,475
    Doses administered: 152,657
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 74.29

3. Connecticut
    Doses distributed to state: 328,775
    Doses administered: 229,524
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 69.81

4. Louisiana
    Doses distributed to state: 370,175
    Doses administered: 255,591
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 69.05

5. New Mexico
    Doses distributed to state: 204,750
    Doses administered: 138,150
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 67.47

6. Texas
    Doses distributed to state: 2,105,600
    Doses administered: 1,403,989
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 66.68

7. South Dakota
    Doses distributed to state: 93,675
    Doses administered: 61,113
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 65.24

8. Oregon
    Doses distributed to state: 335,075
    Doses administered: 216,928
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 64.74

9. Kentucky
    Doses distributed to state: 337,450
    Doses administered: 216,039
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 64.02

10. Michigan
    Doses distributed to state: 773,750
    Doses administered: 483,592
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 62.50

1. Texas
    Doses distributed to state: 2,105,600
    Doses administered: 1,403,989
    Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 66.68

“All providers that have received COVID-19 vaccine must immediately vaccinate healthcare workers, Texans over the age of 65, and people with medical conditions that put them at a greater risk of severe disease or death from COVID-19. No vaccine should be kept in reserve.”

– DSHS Commissioner John Hellerstedt, M.D.

Here is he problem as I see it. Texas is supposed to be administering the vaccine immediately per the state Department of Health. Yet they are only at 66.68% administered and the county where I am (Williamson) has NO available doses. So where are they? It seems that Texas, again to me, has taken a shotgun approach by allowing the individual counties to run the distribution as opposed to a state level management.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

9 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

For me, by the following morning, I had fever, bone aches, headaches.,, which lasted all day,

Nurse daughter reported about the same.  Had to go to a pretty safe memorial service and limited somewhat dispersed cemetery follow-up. She was able to do it but felt pretty bad like your relate but is fine now.

10 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

We got our vaccinations two weeks ago in Texarkana, Texas, Moderna.   Shots were in the 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM timeframe.  My wife had no side effects.    For me, by the following morning, I had fever, bone aches, headaches.,, which lasted all day, Tylenol helped tremendously.   Went to bed that evening and woke up side-effect free the next morning.   And very grateful for the vaccinations...   No problems ever since.

Best thing is hydrating well before and after receiving the vaccine, taking fever reducer and moving the arm after the shot to help reduce soreness.  The hydration is really important in helping to reduce fevers along with the OTC medication.   Also will help with headaches that often occur.  And this will occur in a lot of people as their immune system kicks into action.  Remember, the second dose will probably cause a swifter reaction - again, that just shows that you immune system is reacting.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

I'm one of millions of internet medical experts 😀 - but from what I read, having a reaction like you did is an indication that you have a well functioning immune system.  Still, knowing what we are dealing with, I'm sure it caused you some concern at the time.  I know I would have been concerned.

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

TX continues to be one of the top states in getting people vaccinated, in spite of the problems that have been experienced here. I suspect that the size of the TX distribution system and the speed with which it is being put into action may be a factor in difficulties. Hopefully other states are watching and will learn from what is done here to resolve any problems.  

From what I can see, the Federal gvt was getting the vaccines out to the states, the state was sending it to those who had signed up to administer it in the counties and cities, and then it was left up to the locals to follow the priority guidelines to actually give the injections.  At first, the general thinking by most was to hold back a reserve of the second injection so they would be sure they could follow the guidelines for the second shot.  

Texas did all the above, but then, decided that the locals, in some cases, weren't handling it all that well, so they initiated the hubs to become the primary distribution points.  Meanwhile the Feds decided that with so much vaccine being produced that there was no need to hold the reserve second injections back.  

Things have started happening faster in the state.

At least that's my understanding of it all from my internet educated point of view.

Edited by GR "Scott" Cundiff

26 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I'm one of millions of internet medical experts 😀 - but from what I read, having a reaction like you did is an indication that you have a well functioning immune system.  Still, knowing what we are dealing with, I'm sure it caused you some concern at the time.  I know I would have been concerned.

Yes, Scott, I was concerned.   The Vaccine provider (Christus St. Michaels Clinic) provided a data sheet that covered the potential side effects, but still... So I double checked the Internet 🙂 just to make sure that the vaccines did NOT contain the virus itself... No, of course... and then took two tylenol and a nap!   Hope all is well for you. 

2007 Dolphin

48 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Best thing is hydrating well before and after receiving the vaccine, taking fever reducer and moving the arm after the shot to help reduce soreness.  The hydration is really important in helping to reduce fevers along with the OTC medication.   Also will help with headaches that often occur.  And this will occur in a lot of people as their immune system kicks into action.  Remember, the second dose will probably cause a swifter reaction - again, that just shows that you immune system is reacting.   

Thanks, Barbara, for the advice.   We take dose #2 in two weeks, and I will remember the hydration for sure.

2007 Dolphin

Here in the Corpus Christi area, there is a Mega Vaccination site.  At first it was signup on the internet, but that quickly crashed. Now its first come first served.  I've spoken to several people who got a shot, but they were in line at 2AM.  And, this week is cancelled because the State sent the available doses early, and there's no more.  Maybe next week they said.

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And this will occur in a lot of people as their immune system kicks into action.  Remember, the second dose will probably cause a swifter reaction - again, that just shows that you immune system is reacting.   

We have two working nurses in our family who were very early in the vaccination program because of their exposure. They gave us very similar advice but with the addition that they say as soon as the shot has been administered, take a does of either Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen, whichever you prefer as they act as a preventive. They say to do the same again at bedtime and when you get up. We followed those suggestions and experienced almost no side effects at all. 

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We have two working nurses in our family who were very early in the vaccination program because of their exposure. They gave us very similar advice but with the addition that they say as soon as the shot has been administered, take a does of either Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen, whichever you prefer as they act as a preventive. They say to do the same again at bedtime and when you get up. We followed those suggestions and experienced almost no side effects at all. 

Thanks, Kirk!   Just added these recommendations to my calendar entry for the appointment.

Jim 

2007 Dolphin

We had our second shots this past Friday.  My wife had some generalized tiredness; I had no side effects at all.  My wife took a couple of ibuprofens; I didn't need them.  It was no worse than a flu shot.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We're getting our vaccines tomorrow so I've been reading up.....everyone should keep in mind not to take acetaminophen (Tylenol) before getting the vaccine as it may blunt the immune response.

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2021/01/getting-covid-vaccine-what-to-know

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel