Covid Vaccine in Texas

JimmyD

58 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

The vaccine is free, but the administration may not be. Jay

And thus, insurance companies will be asked to pay for it.  At least in Arizona if one doesn't have insurance, it will be covered by the state.  And, of course, for those with Medicare, it is all covered just like our flu vaccines.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

Well, no luck.  I went out as far as February 8 without any appointment slots showing up.  I don't want to go out much farther because we'll want to be leaving here sometime during the first half of March.  We may have to wait until we get back home to get the vaccine.

Pima County, AZ hasn't set up reservations yet.  I just tried the AZ website that you used to set up an appt. & like you, no dates are available.  Perhaps that's the reason you can't select a date. Yuma Co. might not have it set up yet for other than the first group of essential workers.  Also, it asks for insurance info but you can just select Medicare, if that's what you have.  It accepted that for me.  The other options are Medicaid and personal.  Are you trying to enter something other than Medicare?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

41 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

The other options are Medicaid and personal.  Are you trying to enter something other than Medicare?

I selected private insurance because we have Medicare Advantage plans.

If I'm reading this site correctly, they're still doing Phase 1A.  We'll be in Phase 1B.

Vaccine Phased Prioritization - Vaccine Portal Information | Yuma County (yumacountyaz.gov)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Pima County, AZ hasn't set up reservations yet.  I just tried the AZ website that you used to set up an appt. & like you, no dates are available.  Perhaps that's the reason you can't select a date. Yuma Co. might not have it set up yet for other than the first group of essential workers.  Also, it asks for insurance info but you can just select Medicare, if that's what you have.  It accepted that for me.  The other options are Medicaid and personal.  Are you trying to enter something other than Medicare?

As I am covered by both medicare, AARP and Veterans health care I am not worried but am curious as to the cost of the vaccine shot if anyone has actually had to pay for one.  I do not know the cost of other vaccination shots received over the years as they were covered by the above.  For many reasons government websites are often not complete or provide confusing/conflicting info on many issues.  Just curious.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

36 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I selected private insurance because we have Medicare Advantage plans.

If I'm reading this site correctly, they're still doing Phase 1A.  We'll be in Phase 1B.

Vaccine Phased Prioritization - Vaccine Portal Information | Yuma County (yumacountyaz.gov)

So I read that as saying you can't get an appointment yet unless you're in the 1A group.  That's why you not seeing any times available for you.  They don't know how long 1A will last before opening up 1B.

Doesn't a Medicare Advantage plan cover the basic Medicare coverages?  We have the basic Medicare so I'm not sure.

Do you have to pay for a flu shot?

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

Linda, for something like this you just check Medicare, they will take your Medicare Advantage card, so no worries.   

Smaller counties that don't have large hospital systems and large number of care homes were able to get through their 1A group faster.

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Linda, for something like this you just check Medicare, they will take your Medicare Advantage card, so no worries.   

Smaller counties that don't have large hospital systems and large number of care homes were able to get through their 1A group faster.

But they also get fewer doses, often a lot less doses, so probably not. At least that's observed here in FL. Jay

Jay, All I can tell you is some of the smaller counties have gotten through Phase 1A quicker.  Maybe it has to do with more people in small counties, 8ncluding health care workers, being anti-vaxxers.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 1/4/2021 at 7:21 PM, Barbaraok said:

I had the first shot of the Moderna vaccine today in Florida.  Next one in four weeks.  No one asked for any insurance or payment.  The form included a section for insurance, but that section was x-ed out. 

So far I am feeling OK

Wayne

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

18 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I had the first shot of the Moderna vaccine today in Florida.  Next one in four weeks.  No one asked for any insurance or payment.  The form included a section for insurance, but that section was x-ed out. 

So far I am feeling OK

Wayne

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

We got ours in Florida today too.  Our county only had 500 doses available so we felt fortunate.  It was first come first served and many had to be turned away.  Looking forward to the second Moderna dose on February 3rd.  

I am currently in Northern Nevada, they are telling me that vaccinations are only available to county residents and you must have ID to show you are a resident. Does anyone know where/how those of us with itinerant lifestyles are supposed to be vaccinated? Currently the local DMV is closed due to rona, and this county only has 2 nurses working 3 days per week on vaccinations, at the current rate it will take 4 years to vaccinate everyone. Weighing my options, need suggestions.  Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Contact the local health department. 

Local health dept in Nv is the one telling me I need ID to prove county residency, my ID is from Tx. I have owned a vacation home here for almost 20 years, just never stayed long enough to claim residency. Due to rona I did consider doing so this year, but local compliance with health directives has been abysmal so I have not done so. With the current vaccination rate here I'm having second thoughts, I do not want to wait years for a vax. 

I have no idea how many people are in the same boat, do they expect us all to go back home? I know there are many large snowbird populations in Az, maybe AZ has a plan for us? 

2 minutes ago, spottrouble said:

I have no idea how many people are in the same boat, do they expect us all to go back home?

I can only tell you what is happening here in Dallas Co., TX but as yet they are restricting availability here to residents who are medical, first responders, or over the age of 65 or with some high risk medical condition. I think that type of restriction is pretty common until vaccine supplies improve, when the plan is to open it to everyone. Most areas that I am familiar with have plan that stages who can get vaccinated with various priorities. There is probably one there as well and in time non-residents will get vaccinated too. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

So drive to Texas to get your shot. You are an RVer, right? Yeah, it might take a couple weeks round trip but even if that's your vacation time this year, wouldn't it be worth it not to wait years to get the vaccine at your current location?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 1/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Jim & Alice said:

I am in Atlanta, Texas (close to Texarkana).   The Texas web site I am working with for tracking vaccine opportunity is:

Texas COVID-19 Vaccine Information

Note the link... https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=91ac7fb5e5fd47e7ada4acfe4a05920a

for locations and associated info.   Texas has priority Phase 1B as including ages 65 and up... I think only other state doing that is Florida.   I have yet to ascertain that Texas is treating out-of-state snowbirds...

For what it is worth, My wife an I received our first COVID Vaccine shots this afternoon.   I used the above link (NOTE)... to locate sites close by with available Vaccine doses, visited them (2 sites) and on Monday (two days ago) made an appointments for both of us.   Medicare covered everything.   I listed my home state residency as Michigan, no problem.   Shot #2 was booked for follow up in 28 days.   Waiting time was minimal.   Everything worked well.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

You are an RVer, right? 

I own 3, but just use them for short excursions, not full time. I have very modest homes in 5 states, none in major cities, the Tx place is closest thing to a modern city with CVS/Walgreen's. I took a hard stance against the rona and went to my most remote place this year, one of those little podunks in the middle of nowhere, although socialization is zero, the dog and I can get into the mountains on nice days to try retaining our sanity🤣. I asked here because I figured there would be others here in the same situation of being in one state while possessing id from another. Yes, going back to Tx is an option, just asking if there are others. 

16 hours ago, spottrouble said:

I am currently in Northern Nevada, they are telling me that vaccinations are only available to county residents and you must have ID to show you are a resident.

Unfortunately Florida is a long way away.  Florida has taken the position that since the vaccine is provide by the federal government any US citizen is eligible.  In my case it didn't matter because I am a Florida resident.

The first day our county vaccinated 270 of us.

Jinx and Wayne

17 hours ago, spottrouble said:

I am currently in Northern Nevada, they are telling me that vaccinations are only available to county residents and you must have ID to show you are a resident. Does anyone know where/how those of us with itinerant lifestyles are supposed to be vaccinated? Currently the local DMV is closed due to rona, and this county only has 2 nurses working 3 days per week on vaccinations, at the current rate it will take 4 years to vaccinate everyone. Weighing my options, need suggestions.  Thank you.

Come to Arizona.  They are letting winter visitors get their vaccines.  However, at least in Yuma County, they're still working on 1A.  I have no idea when 1B (the group I and DH are in) will start to be vaccinated.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

9 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

They are going to vaccinate snowbirds in Arizona.  Some counties have started with 75+ this week, Maricopa County (Phoenix area) starts next week.

How do you learn when a county is going to start?  I checked again on the Yuma County website I gave above and I'm still not coming up with any appointment slots.  Of course, Yuma County got a lot less vaccine than Maricopa County.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

How do you learn when a county is going to start?  I checked again on the Yuma County website I gave above and I'm still not coming up with any appointment slots.  Of course, Yuma County got a lot less vaccine than Maricopa County.

I signed up for the Alerts from Maricopa Country Health Department - every day I get an email about where they are in the process.  Additionally, the governor tweeted out yesterday that Douglas County was starting the 1B vaccinations and followed that with a tweet that Maricopa County would begin next week.   In the email from Maricopa County last night they said that they would not open up registration/reservations until Monday as they are still tweaking the website to hopefully include more sites (ie, CVS, Walgreens) where you can be vaccinated.    If they kept just the three POS (Point of Service) that they have now, they would end up with Loop 202 and Highway 60 at a standstill with all the retirees heading into Phoenix to get their vaccinations. 😎

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

I would assume that you can't sign up for an appointment until they're finished with the group before you and they know, more definitely, when they can begin your group.

Full-timed for 16 Years