Transmission problem

GlennWest

I have been reading over the trouble shooting link I got. From what I read need to verify voltage and then there are just a few items to cause complete loss. My paddle shifter works. My error program lets me know it not working. It seems no info to computer so it does nothing. When weather clears up I plan to remove wiring and checking out. If that checks out, check continuity on sensors.  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, rpsinc said:

IF a wire was inadvertently caught behind a battery and through "thousands of miles" got pinched by a battery's vibration, it could cause a short.  A good flashlight and some patient inspection might be what is called for.

did that

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Sounds like you are taking all the logical steps in the troubleshooting path.  Keep going, you will find it.  

Nothing more disappointing than paying a shop hourly to discover something simple that may have been overlooked.

I took my CC DRW to a shop for some wiring repair due to a hungry rabbit.  They charged me hourly to do that and get the AC back to working condition and resolve some check engine codes.  Due to things in life, I didnt drive the truck for a few months after bringing it home, but when I did, well it was closer to summer and HOT.  No AC.  Figuring that they wouldnt warranty the work this long past repair, took to a different shop, that specializes in AC repair.  They found the issue and then serviced the AC, now it works great.  Turns out a couple of the wires the 1st repaired were not done properly and so no connection.  They redid the repairs due to that and another few hundred $s spent.   Stinkin' rabbit!!

Next time I will check it myself.  Seems good work is less than common these days.  I just was real busy at that time and relied on others to know and do the job.

FYI- Honda markets an electrical tape with some capcacin in it.  Its the stuff that makes chili peppers hot.  Well, rabbits and rodents dont like the stuff.  I now have 3 rolls on hand.  I own 4 trucks and 2 cars + 5 trailers and ALL OF THEM have wiring.

Marcel

Been studying on Eaton service manual. All faults set code on startup or driving. Only the input shaft speed sensor will not allow a gear to engage and set no code. This is the speed sensor at the front of tranny. This is the only code that copies my situation exactly. So as soon as ground dries our, two days of rain, I'll check that harness and resistance of the sensor. That is a #31.00 part. Haven't priced the harness. That also explains my erratic rpm. Mentions that as a system it causes. I also noted when I was under truck that my oil filter is leaking a little. It is close to that sensor. 

Edited by GlennWest

Working on it now. Removing shifter cover. Got to it. Hold down bracket rusted away. Sensor in two pieces. So found my problem definitely.

Edited by GlennWest

On 1/4/2021 at 1:15 PM, GlennWest said:

Working on it now. Removing shifter cover. Got to it. Hold down bracket rusted away. Sensor in two pieces. So found my problem definitely.

Hi Glenn,

Curious minds need to know how are you making out with repairs to your truck ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Got the broken off sensor soaking. It doesn't want to come out. I could break it out I reckon. Probably not mess with it until pick up new sensor. Been cleaning up property. Lot of work there. 

Edited by GlennWest

9 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Got the broken off sensor soaking. It doesn't want to come out. I could break it out I reckon. Probably not mess with it until pick up new sensor. Been cleaning up property. Lot of work there. 

Glenn,

Thats what we had to do is chip it out with a small chisel or flat blade screw driver.  First pull out the miles of copper mesh that make up the guts of the sensor.  Believe me there is more than you would think.  The bottom of the sensor “finger” in the hole is solid so if you can split the sides and maybe wedge out a piece then the rest may come out in larger chunks.  In my case the sensor was at a 45 degree downward angle so most of the chunks fell out but that top sensor is straight up so some small pieces of plastic are probably gonna fall into the shaft housing.  I think it should probably get chewed up easily and filtered out but I’m no expert.  Don’t know how you’re gonna keep it from happening.  Hence why I said get all the metal guts out before trying to chip out.  Think that would be more damaging internally.  BTW we used an air hose to blow out any debris before putting the new one in.  And be sure to use the never seize grease supplied with the sensor before insertion but frankly not sure how much good it does.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Do believe mine was original. Bracket than holds it in rusted away. Little of bolt head left. It not out either. Need to check out second sensor. It working though. Might should leave it alone. Picked up an old push mower and cutting that grass. It's high. Be easy with a bush hog but don't have one. That taking up my time. 

Edited by GlennWest

Hmmmm...... make up a fitting/adapter to use the exhaust side of a shop-vac to blow in the oil fill port, so chips might blow out rather than fall in.  Maybe.

Air line would be better, regulate it down to a reasonable flow.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

9 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Hmmmm...... make up a fitting/adapter to use the exhaust side of a shop-vac to blow in the oil fill port, so chips might blow out rather than fall in.  Maybe.

Air line would be better, regulate it down to a reasonable flow.

Would have to be air. No electricity yet

Got the sensor out today. Worked on that bolt most of day. If I had electricity I would weld a bolt to it. Had decided to just leave and drill and tap new bolt hole. Bracket doesn't clear bolt so it got to come out or at least chiseled off. Back at it tomorrow. 

Truck is working now. What I ended up doing is just forgetting the bolt. Where it is cross bracket directly above it so drill out is just not possible with dropping trans. So came off of top plate bolt close to sensor. Found a bracket I could use and put a 1/4" bolt with a min of threads protruding. That set in bolt hole in sensor bracket. Put a little bow in breaker so it pushed down sensor bracket tightly. Can't spin due to bolt thread sitting in hole. Good and tight. Little redneck but it works. 

Edited by GlennWest

43 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Truck is working now. What I ended up doing is just forgetting the bolt. Where it is cross bracket directly above it so drill out is just not possible with dropping trans. So came off of top plate bolt close to sensor. Found a bracket I could use and put a 1/4" bolt with a min of threads protruding. That set in bolt hole in sensor bracket. Put a little bow in breaker so it pushed down sensor bracket tightly. Can't spin due to bolt thread sitting in hole. Good and tight. Little redneck but it works. 

Good work.  Funny how a fifteen minute job becomes hours when rust and brittle plastic are involved.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

23 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Good work.  Funny how a fifteen minute job becomes hours when rust and brittle plastic are involved.

Add in the tight quarters, and you've got the fixin's of a full swear jar. Good work.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

54 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Works fine if you click on your link

I click on it and goes to a wrong turn site with chromebook. works with my android phone. It was supposed to be on site. Used the link Jack made.

Edited by GlennWest

15 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I click on it and goes to a wrong turn site with chromebook. works with my android phone. It was supposed to be on site. Used the link Jack made.

Hi Glenn,

Nice to hear that you have your truck fixed.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "