Transmission problem

GlennWest

On second thought if i can find that access panel in cab I seeing on the bottom I can get right to them. Your display is a lot better than mine. lol

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think all speed sensors would likely be on the main housing, not the shifter cover.  Perhaps one for the top shaft could be there.  That said, I have a gen 1.

To access the xy on our truck, seats have to come out, then dog house, then floor mat.  Seats are heavy, floor mat is very heavy. Bride and I could strip it all out in under an hour, after too much practice.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Are they all on the XY shifter?

Minimum of two, one on the input, one on the output. Possibly two on the output. Only thing on the XY box is wiring connections and air line.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There will be two speed sensors on top of the transmission (an input and an intermediate) and the third is on the tail stock measuring the output speed.  I believe them to be all the same part number and reasonably priced.  The one Carl and Dave fought with was the output sensor which is the easiest one to access but not necessarily the easiest to change.  

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Minimum of two, one on the input, one on the output. Possibly two on the output. Only thing on the XY box is wiring connections and air line

I watched a YouTube video and there was sensors on the XY box. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

28 minutes ago, Nigel said:

There will be two speed sensors on top of the transmission (an input and an intermediate) and the third is on the tail stock measuring the output speed.  I believe them to be all the same part number and reasonably priced.  The one Carl and Dave fought with was the output sensor which is the easiest one to access but not necessarily the easiest to change.  

You buy on line or at dealer? I saw some for $80ish. 

Dealer is only about 15 minutes from my house and they had them in stock.    I will gladly pay a premium for parts if they are in stock as the dealer has carrying costs, always ask for a discount if they have to order in. It’s been a couple of years but I think they might have been about $60 Canadian but definitely less than $100.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

nearest dealer 80 miles for me. Houston. I may just replace all the sensors if that is the cost. If that code says it is. 

Edited by GlennWest

Well I goggled my transmission Part number and found Eaton parts list breakdown. It shows 2 K3231 and 1 K3438. The position sensor is on the  shifter K3438. The speed sensor are 2, K3431 is on the top plate of trarnny and 1 more on tail housing. The speed sensor is only 30ish dollars. Position sensor is 80ish. I may just replace all four.

Edited by GlennWest

Before you throw parts at it, check your wires.  Do a voltage test.  You may have simply pulled on a wire when changing the batteries.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Before you throw parts at it, check your wires.  Do a voltage test.  You may have simply pulled on a wire when changing the batteries.

did that yesterday. If I get code for sensor my thinking is if one failed others will sooner than later. Not a lot of money. Those 3 speed sensors less than a 100.00. 

Edited by GlennWest

8 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

did that yesterday. If I get code for sensor my thinking is if one failed others will sooner than later. Not a lot of money. Those 3 speed sensors less than a 100.00. 

But IF your issue is a wire, then the sensors will be an expense not necessary, which may explain why your problem appeared suddenly.  And then AFTER the sensors are changed, the problem may not have gone away and it will continue.  I learned along time ago during some good troubleshooting training by the company I worked for at the time(making Charmin & Bounty), to work from the last known change.  If your battery change was the last known change, eliminate all possibillities related to that first.

Yesterday I was working on a job that includes demo, concrete, fabrication, equipment installation and electrical wiring to have equipment operate hydraulically, so power from a control panel with interlocks.  One of the devices has 2 limit switches that are low voltage and are wired to a terminal strip in a control panel.  The panel is mounted at about 78" off the floor.  I'm 5'10".  My line of sight to wire the panel was looking upwards and as a result things werent working right and I had to follow my own advise as to what was the last change.  Well, I wired the panel up.  Come to discover that I inadvertently wired the common for those 2 LSs to the wrong terminal.  Once I got a ladder and was eye level to the panel, I discovered that the common was in the wrong place, causing nothing to work.  After moving the common, everything worked as it should.  Such a small thing affected the functionality of the whole system.  It cost me 2 hours of troubleshooting to figure this one out, and I have been doing this kind of work for quite some time.  And your dead short(which is likely what is causing your fuse to blow instantly) might be tough one to find but shouldnt cost $100 in parts.  

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I had also checked my wires and switch function with a continuity test and all was good, so those switches were working correctly, just not communicating to the control panel due to wired in the wrong spot.

Please explain wire in wrong spot. Concerning changing batteries, I have put thousands of miles on truck since that. And I checked and nothing loose or bad yesterday. Ir is raining today so can't work on it.

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Hi Glen - 

Have a gander here for service/troubleshooting information:

Eaton service

Thanks. That says to check continuity on all 3 sensors and if one different replace. Without code this is going to be hard

Edited by GlennWest

Truthfully, the codes don't help a huge amount. They may inform you of a sensor failure, but most of the time won't specifically pinpoint which one. Definitely won't crawl under the truck to change it. There's so much involved in troubleshooting the systems, that's why we often ask for them. With codes and the factory troubleshooting tree, it's a lot easier and faster. Helps minimize the "parts shotgunning", too.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Please explain wire in wrong spot. Concerning changing batteries, I have put thousands of miles on truck since that. And I checked and nothing loose or bad yesterday. Ir is raining today so can't work on it.

IF a wire was inadvertently caught behind a battery and through "thousands of miles" got pinched by a battery's vibration, it could cause a short.  A good flashlight and some patient inspection might be what is called for.

Marcel