Another project Trying a restoration

Wrknrvr

You'd have to check your security cameras for proof, but I'm using all the plausible deniability I can muster.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will chalk this day as truly ( Good ,Bad and Ugly) day.

No one got hurt. No gun blew up. Nothing stupid fiscally happened. And I really contained my mouth.

But I am -ad as -ell about how I was treated at the gun range. I will explain tomorrow am before I look for another place to shoot.

Have good night,    Vern in a T-shirt 

So things start Thursday as I realize I need to fix the front sight for the cartridge gun on Friday am before leaving for a 2 1/2 drive to the shooting range.

So get the front sight fixed. Hand load 10 paper patched bullets and collected most of what I needed to shoot a muzzleloader and a black powder cartridge rifle. Hopefully for more than 100 yards.

Back to Thursday night. We were watching a movie and my phone rings for a service call. Sorta know what is wrong with the Motorhome. He can survive the night with generator.

I said I am on vacation tomorrow. But I am driving by his campground on my way to the gun range. So I stopped and diagnosed his electric power real is bad. He will just connect wires directly until new power real gets to the camper.

So back on the road to the range. Miles of gravel road and service call puts us late by over a hour. But we pull in to the entrance and go to the sign in area. Fill out paper work. Install 5 bucks into the envelope I filled out, to use the range for the day. While reading the info it sure looks like there are two ranges.one to the left sorta looks like next door owner made his own range, but it looks nice. But there is a sign with a shooter holding a black powder cartridge rifle pointing towards a gate. So head towards the gate. The wife says there is a man sitting on the porch of a Mobile home beside the gate. 

Things went bad quick. He is too lazy to get out of chair. I ask him about going to the black powder range. He pointed to the blank signs I just read. He said you go to the other range. You just paid your money so go to that range. He is very rude at this point. I told him I only have black powder rifles to shoot.

He finally says I can go through the gate,         Buttttt I cannot shoot my rifles.

Now I called the manager of the black powder range about two weeks ago and got invited to shoot during practice on Friday.

So I was cool about said subject. Decided to leave. Went to the end of the range property and pulled over. Decided to call the range manager. His wife answered and said he was at the range. I explained what transpired at the gate. She said are you still there. I said no, and I am not going back. She probably was going to call him and have him meet me. But I had it with the lazy guy in the chair.

So today we are going to look for a spot on the National Forest land today. There is a lake at 5000’ elevation the I might just go fishing at. The road to the lake does pass the range I have been shooting at.  So if nothing else we may just go on that ride today as we were talking about doing the loop road.

I will call the range manager in a few days.

Have a great weekend,    Just Vern in a T-shirt 

Better day yesterday.

Since we had everything packed for travel and shooting, we went to my old place to shoot again. And the road was graded out so there was no potholes but lots of dust.

Set up my table to shoot from. There was something small and shiny at about 125 yards on the backstop bank. So I tried the 45/70. 8” to the left the dust flew. So I set up a target about 32” square with a 6” black plastic lid in the center. Two shots, adjust scope tube, 2 more shots. Never hit the target? Now what is happening. I bore sighted the rifle before going to the range,     So what the heck is going on.

So I move the target to a bank about 90 yards away.  But this bank is real fine shale chips that produce bust when hit. Now the DW should be able to see where the bullets are hitting. First shot is???   Now this is getting frustrating.

On a side note, all the bad words were released into space overnight. So second and third shot were high and to the right sorta. Adjust the scope, now two shots to the left and low. Adjust scope carefully really carefully. Now there is something not right. Is it me or what.

Get muzzleloader out . Two shots that are good? Waite a minute what is happening here. Scope tube on muzzleloader has a small hole at the rear and one at the front. Target bullseye can be truly focused on the center. Will measure hole diameters later today,

Back to 45/70.     Now what to do. I realize the scope tube with small holes are much easier to use than with a solid post in the center of the front sight.   Thinking thinking,     Ok I am going to try a paper patched bullet. It has 50 grains of powder in it. So far I have only shot 50 grains at the most in any cartridges so far. Squeeze the trigger. First thing there is more recoil from paper patch cartridge. Bullet hit where I aimed it much better than with other cartridges.

Tried three or more regular rounds through rifle. It’s starting to look like I am shooting buckshot at the target.

Now I am really getting flustered at this thing? No bad words yet.

It is getting late in the afternoon and I am sorta lost as what to do. So I tried a paper patched round again aimed at the 6” black bullseye. Tell the wife to watch. Squeeze that round off, dang black target moves. Bullet hit just under the black plastic lid.

Was that an oddity or what is going on. So put one more paper patched load in. Tell the wife to watch the red 4” plastic lid at the bottom of the target. Squeeze that round off. Bullet hits just under the red plastic cap.

Done for the day.

Now my first test rounds had been loaded with cast bullets for a colt 45 . The colt 45 is in very close dimensions to the rifle bore. But they are short on length. There weight is about 220 grains I believe. Paper patched bullets ar 460 grains, long and tapered at the front.

So now are the pistol bullets out of there accuracy range. Even for a rifle. Makes think so.

Now I am sorta glade I could not shoot at the other range. I mite of looked badder than I am at shooting. Ok I am laughing about subject now.

Have a good 😃 day.    Vern in a dirty T shirt 

Thinking?

The target backing cardboard has signs of bullets going sideways.

I think the bullets are too small in diameter. Along with too much powder for the weight and shape of the bullets.

Thinking again about bullet diameter, weight, lengths  and paper patching.

Did work on the scope for smaller sight holes that can be adjusted if needed.

Throw in rain and snow .    And next Wednesday  I get poked in the eye again.

Maybe just go fishing,    Vern

You're probably on the right track, Vern. A little more twist on the rifling would likely help, but is out of your hands. Stick with the longer, heavier, boat tail lead, leave the pistol rounds in the pistol.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Today I hope to see the twist rate in the barrel. It was for target shooting of a cartridge rifle when I purchased it 40 or so years ago.

Lately I have cast some more 460 grain bullets for paper patching. I have 25 or more with the patching on them. i have maybe 7 loaded in a case. Will load the rest in a day or two. Hopefully my eyes will come back into focus by the weekend, as I just got a shot in both eyes yesterday for macular degeneration. Yep not fun.

But I can focus through the rifle scope at 1000 yards after about 4 days. So if the rain stops and the roads dry up I may get to shoot this weekend.

Last time at the range I fired the muzzleloader twice. The scope seems to be sighted in enough I feel it just needs time at the range for fine adjustment. It now has the ability to be adjusted as needed.

The 45/70 was giving a fits at the range as I stated before. First thing the scope itself had problems as to be able to concentrate on the same point of impact. The rear scope opening was tooooo big. When I shot the muzzleloader i noticed the ability to clearly see the bullseye through it’s scope. Big difference in a small hole at the rear of the scope on the muzzleloader and one 3/8” in diameter on the 45/70.

Then the front just had a screw threaded up from the bottom of a 3/8” hole. It was filed flat at the top. Sorta tooo big of flat top to concentrate on one spot.  Since being at the range last the inside of the scope tube has been rusted so as to cut down on glare inside the the scope tube. Yep I had trouble with the muzzleloader scope on glare also. So now the scope has adjustable front and rear possibilities for more precise operation.

So then bullets need more attention maybe. In the last week I have made several bullet molds. For different possibilities of shape, length and diameter.      Now the first thing I need to do is to get one bullet to shoot at say 75 yards. The pistol bullets have been set aside for pistol use only.

I do think the 460 grain paper patched bullet I have for the 45/70 just might work in the muzzleloader.

Yesterday I got a notice that a member of this forum is supposed to be here next week. Do I hide everything and act like I know nothing about guns. Or show him what I have done.

Have good day,   Vern in a T-shirt 

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the range yesterday.

Thinking about scope tube ? It was a good idea. Or so I thought. Trying to focus on target at a short distance, say 75 yards, really is hard to see target. But at 300 yards I can see target really good.

More thinking that trying to look at the target through a small hole, say 5/16” , on both ends of the tube scope, just does not let enough light in to see the target. 

So I thought about cross hair sights for the front of the scope tube. Was searching the net and found some interesting reading. Note the time period this article took place.

https://springfieldarsenal.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/davidson-telescope.pdf

Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

I need to update the size of the holes at the end of the scope. They are 3/16” now. I said 5/16” before.

Also seriously testing my right eye for seeing correctly. As my macular degeneration is still off in my right eye. It was about ten days ago since my right eye had a injection. Hopefully it will be better in a week.

I hope today to try and make a set of cross hairs for the scope today. I think I could see better with cross hairs and a larger hole to see out the front of the scope.

Safe travels,   Vern

Vern, I am impressed with the work you take on as part of the hobby. I love to go to the range and make holes in paper and also to the long distance range with steel targets, but I have never gotten into the construction & repair part of this. I have never gotten in to building them. Wish I was closer to come by and check it out. Maybe een shoot a few rounds!  ☺️

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Now this just came on a search for why two eyes are better than one.

The center of the eyes' fields of view overlap with one another, although visual information in the periphery can only be detected by one eye. This information is transmitted to anarea of the brain which synthesizes the overlapping visual information to make a single coordinated image.

So my entire life I always shot a long gun with only one eye. So now I need to learn shooting with both eyes open.

So on Sunday at the range I had loaded a 460 grain bullet on a load of Goex black powder. This was in the muzzleloader. So far I have been shooting a black powder substitute.

I was really concentrating on the target. Remember my eye is not seeing as I think it should. So really concentrating on this shot. Squeezed the trigger.

( blank) scope cut my eyebrow.   Stupid stuff happens.

Figuring out hot to make crosshairs for the scope. Maybe real thin copper wire. Will make one tomorrow just see if it would work.

Sunday I did a stupid thing,   Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

In the post window, 2nd from the right side, up top "size".

At the range, under 50 yards, iron sights. Keep both eyes open, that' how I was taught.

Please e-mail us here.

So today I removed the end of the scope tube. Them measured the inside hole diameter. 188 thousands was the diameter.

So now I remember see some small wire in my repair stuff. I removed the insulation and measured it. .040 of a inch. Bent two pieces to fit in scope end fitting. Put fitting back on scope.

]https://i.imgur.com/R8YO755l.jpg

Went outside and tested it at say 60’. It works good. It looked good at 200 yards looking at a power transformer on a electric pole also. Also testing brain to look through both eyes the same time when shooting.

I did think about taping crosshairs to my right eye glass lens for training both eyes to be open.

Just figure out how to explain that to trooper if need be.

Have fun today even if you need to go to work.

Vern

Today it is raining from just sprinkle to steady rain. Just nice for the garden.

So when using the small hole in the tube scope there really needs to be bright light, or full sunlight to see. Today it does not work at all with the weather conditions.

Now at longer distances it works good. Say 200 yards and beyond. That is in bright light.

But the crosshairs work good today, at least in the light sprinkles. Or just being cloudy.

So I will make a couple different sets of crosshairs soldered to a washer that fits in the tube scope fitting in a day or two. So I could change them out in a minute for testing

Other things to be doing today.  Puff up my lettering is one thing. Still can’t do it.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Lately I have been concerned about not being able to see the target at 100 yards or less through the scope tube.is it my macular degeneration problem. Or what.

So yesterday I made crude crosshairs for both rifle scope tube

what a difference crosshairs make. I can see the target at 300 yards. Or at 30’.    I will experiment  on smaller wires for better accuracy.

I know that these prototypes are extremely crude.     But it proved my thoughts.

Now to improve the bullet questions.

xPMyVrVl.jpg

I really have to say , I have been frustrated with this project. What really is going on.

I tested the twist rate in the 45/70.     1 in 20” twist in the barrel. It is a standard twist rate for the caliber.

next thing is I have not tried a factory molded bullet, yet.

I also noticed that with the small hole on both ends of the scope was causing problems. When I tried at 100’ to look through the scope, the target actually got bigger. Filling up the area I could see. I had to try a number of times to finally see what was happening. I think that has been happening all along.

But at 300 yards those small holes seem to work good.

So I made the crosshairs with .040 thousands dia wire. Looks good looking through the scope tube. Even at 30’. 

The bullet mold I made seems like it should work. But with one wrap of paper sorta had mixed results. Two shots were good, then one flying off to the side.

So I doubled the paper on the front half of the bullet. That will take some explaining later.

So with crosshairs on the scope, Bore sighted at home, I tried three rounds at 65 yards.

All three rounds hit 3” low, 2” to the right. At the most a 3” group.  Felling better about said subject.

But I noticed the x in the crosshairs are to big. They cover the center of the target. I did locate some  .009 thousands diameter wire at home to make a new set of crosshairs with. 

So I had two cartridges with the pistol bullets in them.  One hit near the bullseye. The other one was a flyer. So much for the pistol bullets in a rifle.

Then I tried 3 more paper patched bullets. Same results as the first three fired today.

So I will make smaller crosshairs for the next trip to the range. So the time at the range was short, but I had another gravel pit to check out. Drove out the gravel road about 4 miles, and turned left on a paved road. Then left on a gravel road about 1/2 mile .  There is a 300 plus yard wide gravel pit. It is on federal land. Two guys there say they shoot there. I will call the fish and game today as I think I can graduate from the old range.

I was getting close to go away quietly.

Vern in a T-shirt 

• 4 weeks later...

So I have been doing a few things on this project as I find time. I made a set of crosshairs with .009 wire. It is to small a diameter to see with. I finally found some .025 copper wire and made a set of crosshairs with it. It looks really good even out at a distance.

I am still dealing with the macular degeneration, but it has really made great improvements in my eye sight.

The .009 wire crosshairs may be needed after I get to shoot out at a distance and get New glasses. I have discussed the new eye glasses with my eye doctor. We decided to see how my eyes recover then get new glasses.Will see him again at the end of July.

So I had made a new bullet mold on a 80 year old lathe. Then decided to ream the diameter out about .006 and that is hard to do on a lathe that has a small amount of wear.    Soooooo I get a wooden rod, sand the end to fit the shape of the nose of the bullet rod. Glued some 100 grit sand paper on the opposite side of it. After the glue dried I commenced to polish the bullet mold. What is is what it is. Cast a few bullets and just , I mean just too big.     Blank,  blank.

So I had made a bullet compressor to the diameter I wanted. Before casting any new bullets.

The bullets cut the rifling when pushed through the compressor.   Now what. I need room for the paper patching. Quit for that day.

So two days later I tried the bullets in the compressor. Now they fall through it.      The first time I tried them they were still warm from casting them. Sorta like sitting out in the sun warm.

Paper patch with one wrap and they can be put through the compressor by hand. The paper grabs the rifling, and no marks on the bullet.  Just what I am looking for.

Yesterday me and my wife went out to the range high in the mountains. The smoke from fires are cleared out at the high elevation. Wife is happy to breathe clean air.

Since the last trip to the range I hand lowered the front sight mounting. Just guessed at the sight  setting. Tried three shots at about 80 yards. Three different targets. Hit within 3 1/2” of center on all shots. No bullet tumbling.

Now what, waited for days to get to the range and darn thing works.

Go back about 200 yards. Shoot three rounds using cross sticks. Good results.

Well now to rethink my bullet loads. I have three different loads of 3f and 2f black powder, old tapered bullets and new tapered bullets. I decided to unload all my loaded bullets and load them again with rifle primers, large pistol primers push out the Back with Swiss black powder.

And will load with all bullets out of the reamed out bullet mold.

Now I am starting to think about eye doctors visit in two weeks.

Have today and be safe,    Vern

I've heard that the secret to black powder shooting is patience. Don't do anything in a hurry. Slow, methodical, quiet. Slow.

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl.

I think I have been slow on this project.  You say to be slower.

This project was thought of over 40 years ago. Then I finally started to work on it as I found time.

With trying to do this as it could have been done during the frontier days of the old west has been rather interesting. I have done things and read about different things that was done back then. Some was done in desperation on the frontier. 

Yes I have found several things I tried that did not work the way I thought they should. Sometimes very frustrating. Other times I realize why it did not work.

Now that the gun can shoot respectably at 100 yards. Now I need to concentrate on the powder charge, bullet design, weight of bullet and patience. And I mean patience. So today I am going to be working on a rest for the rifle that I can take to the range and control the rifle better when shooting.

I have thought about buying a new or original 45/70, and all the stuff that you could buy to accomplish shooting at long distances. But that would be less entertaining.

A few years ago I had two different original rifles in my hands that I did not realize what they were. I local gun shop bought them from the auction and sold them on the net for quite a profit.

Vern in a T-shirt 

I have made a wooden bullet mold. It sorta works. Now since I have a bullet sizer for my press I will work on how to make a wooden bullet mold work.

With the heat this summer it is not fun to be out fishing. Then in Montana we have stream restrictions. Or stop fishing by 2 pm. Add in the smoke from wild fires. And the covid thing is still in the area.

But at the new range I have found, I have not seen another shooter there yet. I did check with the Forest service and they did say I could shoot there. So I will be back at the range after I get a rest built and control my cartridges.