rickeieio

On 12/26/2020 at 7:33 AM, noteven said:

I would be happy with a late 80's Kenworth W900B

Very nice NotEven. I am with you on the W900B. The flat tops are drop dead gorgeous. The shorter nose also lends itself to better proportions in the rv towing platform. In my opinion, once the W900's gets under a 250 inch wheel base, the W900L looks a little nose heavy. I do like the W900A in the video but think the B model is just that much better. I am still searching for my perfect W900B (or W900L).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Not quite what we we set out to find, but it followed us home.

Al2byaEl.jpg

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Al2byaEl.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We've been poking about for a couple years, so it wasn't just a spur-of-the-moment decision.

In my research, I had narrowed it down to three candidates. Volvo 730. KW T-680, and Pete 579, in that order.  Why that order?  The Volvo can be had with all the boxes checked to be converted to Ohio M/H registration.  Some KW have a table, and the Pete would likely need a table and cooking installed.  The Volvo also has the tightest turning radius.

But, try to find a nice truck right now.  Made a bunch of calls on trucks and they're sold, haven't had time to take them off the website.... Called a Volvo dealer near here that had 5 730's listed, but they really had 1 with another pending.  Older and high miles....pass.  Went to the Pete dealer, who showed several that would work.  Got there and they'd just sold the last two.  Big $$$ too.  The KW dealer is about 200 yards away, let's look.  They had one, this 2018 T-680, 503k miles, MX-13 motor w/ 13 spd.  Extremely clean truck.  Little things like door sills and drivers area aren't all scratched and beat up.  Nearly new Michelin drivers and Firestone steers.

So before y'all jump all over me about the PACCAR motor, I did a LOT of homework, which included conversations with Scrap.  Yes, the PACCAR motors had issues, all emissions related.  That got fixed in 2016.  Since then, they've been stellar.  And yes, it's a manual.  Shifts like a dream, but I have to retrain my arm as I've had a 10 spd. in my Mack for 13 years, and the 13 is just enough different to make me try to go into the wrong hole.  And don't say it.......

With the whole economy so nuts right now, and truck and camper prices being high, we considered just selling out and waiting a couple years to get back in at a much lower level.  But, we're 66 and 67, and life is uncertain.  We don't want to give up what might be our best traveling years for a few $$.

So there ya have it.  Ol' Blue will be dragging our butts to the ECR, and will be for sale. It has new Delco batteries, all new tires, new x/y shifter, fresh oil change, and is ready to roll.  I need to install an inverter, build a bed and get a hitch on Big Red, and it'll be ready to go too.

Bed build to follow.  I might be stealing an idea or three from Bob.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Congrats, 

Ya even got the "arrest me red" version.    Of all the Paccar offerings the 680 is the best interior layout, I too have heard good things about the late MX13.    Does it have an APU?     Quite the upgrade, enjoy!!!

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

25 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Congrats, 

Ya even got the "arrest me red" version.    Of all the Paccar offerings the 680 is the best interior layout, I too have heard good things about the late MX13.    Does it have an APU?     Quite the upgrade, enjoy!!!

Steve

When we got the Vette, several people called it "Arrest me Red".  Never got pulled over.  Supposedly, this is Viper Red, but I think that's just a generic label folks put on bright red.  I found a lot of 730's called Viper Red too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Nah...I saw the same pic in your first post.  For all we know, that could be the dealer's lot.  😉

Can you post a vid of the interior on this here thread??  Regardless, very purdy.  Looking forward to seeing the final product in Texas some day.

Edited by spindrift

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Thanks guys.  And as some of you (spindrift especially) know, that picture was taken in front of our shop with our trailer and car.  Dealers' lot my foot...........😜

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick, welcome to "The World's Best" club.

Good looking truck, my friend.  And having seen Dave Henegar's truck a four years ago, I know that those T680s are a beautiful truck inside, too.  Congratulations!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

These trucks are like so many other things in life, they keep getting better.  My first class 8 was a 1984 White/Volvo/GMC for the farm.  Then we swapped that for a 2000 Mack CH.  OMG, what a difference.  Then we bought the 2001 Volvo for the camper rig.  Only one year, but worlds apart.  Now we jump ahead to the 2018.  It's kinda like the difference between my first pickup, a '74 F-250, and my 2020 King Ranch.  How much better can they get?  Not putting the Volvo down at all, with the new tires it's a pretty sweet ride.  I can't believe what a difference it made.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN