solar or not, change of plans

GlennWest

With all the research I have done over the last few days, making a rack adjustable isn't worth it. I could just add an extra panel and do the same. That way I can set it and leave it. I was just over thinking this. KISS is best. Also believe I will get 250ish panels. They cost less and and will be easier to deal with.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

With the cheap price of panels and if space isn't an issue it is hard to justify tracking or even tilt adjusting mechanisms. Just add more panels.  In fact if I were to build a stationary system it would be large.   Maybe 10,000 watts or more.  I read recently where a seller was selling 250 watt 6 year old panels for $50.  Panels are now one of the cheaper components. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Santan has 250w for $50.00. I don't see where a 10k rack will benefit us. We have never pulled over 70 amps with our camper with current setup and that is just a few minutes. Our usage is mostly in 20ish amps range. Only when DW is using electric skillets does it get up in 60-70 amp. I am thinking in the 5k range. That gives me 85 amps at 57v. 6k solar gives me 104 amps.  A single victron mppt 250/85 or 250/100 will work. I also plan on a manual disconnect for shore power if I use it. Just don't know what I will get on raining cloudy weather. Or at least Victron sizing tool shows so. Reckon they figuring not at max output. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Cloudy weather and short winter days is what would cause me to go there.  Our refrigerator, small freezer a pot of coffee and some tv in this time of year is about all our 2,000 watts of solar can handle.  I wouldn't want to be limited with panels so cheap.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

6 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Cloudy weather is and short winter days is what would cause me to go there.  Our refrigerator, small freezer a pot of coffee and some tv in this time of year is about all our 2,000 watts of solar can handle.  I wouldn't want to limited with panels so cheap.

That is a sobering statement. Thanks. Now are you with flat panels? Well 6k is about the limit on a single controller. You saying 2 controllers and lots more real estate. But I got plenty. 

Both of the guys I mentioned earlier are running close to 20kW arrays, but we have seriously short winter days. These were both set up in the days of well over $1/watt.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There are places on the internet where you can calculate the solar produced at a location with panel orientation included.  If we have clouds move in for part of the day we have to run the generator.  Tilting panels would add another 20 or 30%.  Still I would guess 5,000 watts will fall short this time of year if you plan on cooking, heating and washing cloths. Panels are cheap.

Randy

56 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

To keep the controller price down you could just add an Epever 100 amp controller.  I have one working with an Outback controller and it works.

I can buy 2 of them for the price of Victron. Keep hearing good reviews on them. Currently I can buy 10k solar, 2 Epever Controllers for $2878.00. That no bad. Also with 10K solar I should not need shore power

Edited by GlennWest

On 12/9/2020 at 1:50 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

I'm crusty enough that the ever increasing "Service" fees irk me to no end. Were it me, I'd be shopping hard for a Conex box, and as much solar and batteries as I could stuff in there. Volume pricing is your friend, here. I know 2 locals who are running solar, even with our short winter days. 1 cut ties after an extended service disruption, the other was too far away from the existing powerline. The rebel bought his batteries by the pallet, in 6 volt form. The new installation is using 2 volt batteries, but I'm not sure of the original application.

Conext box is sure an inexpensive way to go. My solar array will be closer to road than I would like. Further I come in the morning sun is crowed by neighbors trees. Conext box in front yard don't appeal to me. Think if I build a small building to house batteries, controllers and inverter be better in our situation. 

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I can buy 2 of them for the price of Victron. Keep hearing good reviews on them. Currently I can buy 10k solar, 2 Epever Controllers for $2878.00. That no bad. Also with 10K solar I should not need shore power

The Victron controllers can be programmed to stop charging during freezing temps.  The Epever controllers can't.   I don't know if that matters to you?

Randy

17 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

The Victron controllers can be programmed to stop charging during freezing temps.  The Epever controllers can't.   I don't know if that matters to you?

Good info. My thoughts are a small building for batteries, inverters, controllers. Put some car seat heating pads on them. Would not be needed a lot here. Plus to putting all in building, only have to run a 50 amp circuit to camper

Edited by GlennWest

Feed figures into Victron mppt sizing tool. Entered Huntsville tx area. With 10k array, should have 25kwh per day in Jan. peak in June/July at 45kwh per day. I assume this is a fixed position and not adjusting per quarterly season. Still undecided on adjusting. I may make it adjustable and just set up in yearly position and see how it puts out. Run a 4" pipe at height that intersects center of height of array. Runs at bottom to set height. Be 4 panels together to adjust. Should be easy. Repeat 10 times. 

• 2 weeks later...

for a s&b site. look into two or four of the larger sized power jack/fork lift batteries.

but if north of a set point on the globe, solar is just burning money in a open pit fire. there is a "sun index thing"

then install at least 2K of solar. batteries, converters. might not need to hook up to the grid.

hows the wind there? up 150 feet above ground level that is,  not much needed, just steady.

and if you are going to use a container please coat it to curb corrosion. and vent it. top and bottom. some gases can go boom.

Edited by packnrat

On 12/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, packnrat said:

for a s&b site. look into two or four of the larger sized power jack/fork lift batteries.

but if north of a set point on the globe, solar is just burning money in a open pit fire. there is a "sun index thing"

then install at least 2K of solar. batteries, converters. might not need to hook up to the grid.

hows the wind there? up 150 feet above ground level that is,  not much needed, just steady.

and if you are going to use a container please coat it to curb corrosion. and vent it. top and bottom. some gases can go boom

We only 80 miles from Houston. Not enough wind here. It can get dead still in summer. 

16 hours ago, packnrat said:

it can be dead calm at ground level but up above the tree tops there can be a breeze.  enough to work a wind unit?

Have to back up on that statement. A wind mill would likely work here. I have enough property for me. They are expensive. Also for maintenance need a manlift or a telescoping tower. Doable but not worth it. 

most need no maintenance, but can be a problem, as to cost, just a simple high output car/truck alt with a cover and only a 6 foot set of blades, can be home built. no need for a carbon fiber blade or way over priced factory stuff.  the real cost is the speed controller assembly. faster the blades spin the more angle the blades are set for. till they go flat for over a X wind speed.

but if you go too high then the faa gets there dirty fingers in it.

but i have seen a couple of them on tilt pole towers only about 50-60 feet up.

was just a thought.

i have done way too much research into all this. was thinking of trying to work out a off grid for my self. as i used to live on a hill top at the end of the power line.

39 minutes ago, packnrat said:

most need no maintenance, but can be a problem, as to cost, just a simple high output car/truck alt with a cover and only a 6 foot set of blades, can be home built. no need for a carbon fiber blade or way over priced factory stuff.  the real cost is the speed controller assembly. faster the blades spin the more angle the blades are set for. till they go flat for over a X wind speed.

but if you go too high then the faa gets there dirty fingers in it.

but i have seen a couple of them on tilt pole towers only about 50-60 feet up.

was just a thought.

i have done way too much research into all this. was thinking of trying to work out a off grid for my self. as i used to live on a hill top at the end of the power line.

A 100 watt generator will charge a battery fairly quick. Good tip. Have to give this some thought. Future project maybe.