US Postal Service

Velos

My mom sent me a package on 1 Dec via USPS.  It has  been sitting and the Indianapolis distribution center every since according to the tracking number.  Usually only takes 3 days at most to deliver to us. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent some packages via UPS ground on Monday and they were received on Tuesday at 6pm.

I ordered printer cartridges to be shipped by USPS and it took 12 days from their shipping date.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 12/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, Al F said:

The private corporations delivering packages seem to deal with the Saturday non-delivery problem you mention in the quote above.  Makes me wonder why USPS can't deal with it as well. 

I saw a piece on the news yesterday about this problem.  One of the ways the private carriers are dealing with this issue is having its drivers refuse to pick up parcels at several locations to keep their volume to what they can handle, and then because these parcel mailers cant use the private companies, they then send their parcels through the USPS, who as far as I know, doesnt turn down any business.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

15 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I sent some packages via UPS ground on Monday and they were received on Tuesday at 6pm.

I ordered printer cartridges to be shipped by USPS and it took 12 days from their shipping date.

My son always orders Junior's Cheesecakes shipped to us for Christmas.  They left New York frozen and arrived here in SW Florida still frozen.  Glad they came via UPS and not USPS 🙂.

Not a fan of USPS ever since I was pushed out of a job even with veteran's preference. I've posted this before but 

Postal creed in part

"through rain & storm & dark of night"

Suggested next verse

"even tho we can't read or write"

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Another success story with opening an online incident for a missing package with USPS.  

Package arrived in the Dallas area from shipper in 2-3 days on 12/8, then sat at the Coppell distribution center until 12/12.  Then it was flagged as in transit to next destination.  On 12/17 at 11:30am I opened the USPS incident, then 38 minutes later at 12:08pm it was scanned in at the local post office.  Coincident or did they just "happen" to scan it in as it came off the truck????? 

Anyways the package arrived today.  

Edit:  I called it an incident report, but actually it is "Finding Missing Mail"  drop downn in the "Help" tab on the USPS.com home page. 

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, Al F said:

To report missing mail, go to USPS.com and hover your mouse pointer over the "Help" tab and click on "Finding Missing Mail".  From there just follow the instructions.

This is absolutely useless unless you are looking for a package with a tracking number. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

SOURCE: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action
There are several services called "informed delivery" digital preview is one and it is FREE.
Digitally preview your letter-sized mail.

Informed Delivery provides eligible residential consumers with a digital preview of their household's incoming mail scheduled to arrive soon.* Users can view greyscale images of the exterior, address side of incoming letter-sized mailpieces (not the inside contents) via email or an online dashboard. Check out our FAQs for more details.

* Images are only provided for letter-sized mailpieces that are processed through USPS' automated equipment

2 hours ago, chuckbear said:

This is absolutely useless unless you are looking for a package with a tracking number.

That is true no matter what carrier you use to ship a package. I don't think that you would get any of the shippers to try and locate a package for you from your description of it.  😊

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, chuckbear said:

This is absolutely useless unless you are looking for a package with a tracking number. Chuck

You are absolutely correct.  That becomes evident as soon as you start into the "Find Missing Mail" online process. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, chuckbear said:

Of course.  How else could you expect to track a package.  "Big envelop sent to Grandma in Seattle, WA with hearts on it?"      Come on, if you want to be able to make sure it gets there, you have to ship it with tracking, and yes, you pay more!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Source: https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

Informed Delivery® by USPS®

Digitally preview your mail and manage your packages scheduled to arrive soon! Informed Delivery allows you to view greyscale images of the exterior, address side of letter-sized mailpieces and track packages in one convenient location.*

* Images are only provided for letter-sized mailpieces that are processed through USPS' automated equipment

1 hour ago, Greg112 said:

As I recall when I first heard about it and check it out -  Informed delivery is only available in certain places so far - not where I was probably big cities? 

Since informed delivery has now been around since 2014, you might want to check again if you are interested. 

Where is Informed Delivery currently offered?

Informed Delivery is now available to eligible residential and eligible PO Box™ consumers in the majority of ZIP Code™ locations across the country. Visit informeddelivery.USPS.com to sign up and check if your address is eligible for the feature. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My wife is getting "arriving late" issue right now. The package hasn't moved in Detroit  since Dec 8. The local postmaster called Detroit and they said there are truck loads of packages waiting departure. Many people out with covid but the fact their drivers are all union they can't hire any part time help.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I don't know how it works now but years ago I was seasonal part-time, no benefits, no guarantee of permanent employee.  There were a lot of us. We had a schedule to show up if not notified not to. We were guaranteed 4 hours but may be required to stay for 12 hours due to mail volume. Since we were the lowest paid without bene's we would usually hear over the PA "all seasonals and PTF's stay until relieved which meant to the 12 hour limit.  We did have to meet certain standards for these positions and the Unions worked with the situation.   I suspect it is still the same for high volume seasonal time with some upgrades due to technology.  You can never know for sure how volume will be though you can normally project pretty good. This year is almost one of a kind. There have always been event that had to be dealt with.  Like hurricanes, massive fires, and much more.

BTW a PTF was and may still be a Part time flexible employee meaning "permanent with benefits but not guaranteed 40 hours and a regular schedule.  Again being about the lowest paid they often get way more hours than full time regulars.

4 hours ago, DJohns said:

... but the fact their drivers are all union they can't hire any part time help.

Where did you get this information? Are you talking about truck drivers who are USPS employees, or companies that contract with the USPS to haul mail?

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I wish I knew DJohns and had  grudge against him or her.  If that were the case I might say the information came from someone in the 3rd toilet on the left.  This is one of my favorite sayings mostly as joke but sometimes seriously.  In this case it is as a joke.  It does seem to be the case that much of our information today is quoted from some source that seems like that. 

We stayed In a rural Arizona mountain park this past summer and the post office used subcontractors and not postal employees to deliver mail to our area. I believe each village, city,  county and state handles postal service differently depending on local statues, the volume of mail, the type of mail and the area needed to be covered. A lot of visitors used FedEx and UPS.  Once size never fits all.

1 hour ago, Velos said:

A lot of visitors used FedEx and UPS.  Once size never fits all.

FedEx and UPS fill in the places and time that the USPS can't. For example, I was late and I know it getting Christmas packages all to our kids. There was no way in heck that USPS would get them there on time no matter what I paid. FedEx on the other hand will get them there in time and I did not have to pay a whole lot more than the USPS maximum.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Velos, I think using contractors may be universal in most rural areas.  I  know it is pretty widespread if not universal. I know it has been that way in the outlying areas in Albq. and  I know of some in other areas. I was surprised years ago to find this was the case and they were not the old rural carriers that were employees.  In some of the areas I know about I actually have gotten to know some of the contract carriers and the ones I know of do a good job but I would assume like anywhere you might get one now and again that is flakey or incompetent.  

Chalkie, any chance some of your pkgs through FEDEX will go to last mile delivery at the USPS.  I guess I have been luckier than most in hardly ever having an issue with USPS. Wishing hope for all your stuff to get there and on time.