My Bed design

trimster

Just now, Hot Rod said:

Kinda curious on the choice of aluminum deckplate...  why not steel?  Weight is not an issue tandem, and you could have simply welded it down and saved a lot of work, and you are covering in bedliner anyway.

Weight is an issue but for a different reason. I want to be able to get under the deck to service stuff. The deck is currently comprised of 5 pieces. The 2 full length sides (@ 107 lbs each) and 3 smaller sections down the middle.

I paid a premium to do this. Aluminum is way hard on the budget right now. But I wanted the convenience.  

The weight of steel would have been nice however.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent yesterday morning at the fabricators test fitting the under-bed boxes and doing final measurements for the rear boxes.

These are the drivers side boxes which are 25" deep.

PnGNVSsl.jpg

fPitcpml.jpg

Those fit spot on. The longer boxes, one hit a glitch. Or rather, a bit of weld on the frame that hung it up going in. My bad for not cleaning up that opening as I should.

PXbvc3jl.jpg

Adam, the fabricator par-excellence, measures for the generator box based on some mounting brackets I fab'd up.

kIHaTenl.jpg

The ramp boxes are 6'3" deep. The ramps are (folded) 6'.

WJpFuDHl.jpg

And having the deck plates open up is proving to be worth all the effort. In fact I pulled a center plate to access the problem weld that needed to be ground down. Made it an easy fix.

FC8l4kMl.jpg

Because the boxes are built to tight tolerances for the space, the doors, hinges, and latches are a bit of a head-scratcher. We think we have a solution. It would be easier all around if they were to be welded into the bed, but I want them removable so I can pull them and work on truck stuff underneath the bed.

There will be a lip on the boxes that will act as support for the weather stripping and the 4 elevator bolts that will mount them to the opening support steel.

Boxes will be sprayed with a few coats of Por-15. The doors will be power coated gloss black and the latches will be chrome. Looks like 'slam-type' door latches will be the best fit for the ramp boxes. The generator and tool box in the rear will have T-handle style.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Very nice!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up the templates for the bed skirting. Fun exercise. It will be painted the same as the truck when finished. The open space in the rear is where the box for the generator will go.

5LZT04yl.jpg

Oh... and we added another family member. Something for the truck to carry around. Sold the Goldwing. The Spyder is something both of us can drive. I'm guessing that once the wife gets comfortable in the drivers seat...I'll just be watching the view from the back.

hA2oqwIl.jpg

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

5 hours ago, trimster said:

The Spyder is something both of us can drive. I'm guessing that once the wife gets comfortable in the drivers seat...I'll just be watching the view from the back.

That's the primary reason we did the Smart.  Alie CAN drive the truck, but does so only on open road.  All the city driving, grocery runs, site-seeing was me driving the truck for 4 years.  I make her drive the Smart now so I can look around and see the sights.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 4/25/2021 at 2:40 PM, trimster said:

Finishing up the templates for the bed skirting. Fun exercise. It will be painted the same as the truck when finished. The open space in the rear is where the box for the generator will go.

5LZT04yl.jpg

Oh... and we added another family member. Something for the truck to carry around. Sold the Goldwing. The Spyder is something both of us can drive. I'm guessing that once the wife gets comfortable in the drivers seat...I'll just be watching the view from the back.

hA2oqwIl.jpg

So does this mean you need 3 ramps now!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

26 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

So does this mean you need 3 ramps now!

Yup. 2 in the below bed storage, and one will live on the deck.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

20 hours ago, geodog1 said:

The nicest thing about a Smart  is you con heat and cool the drivers compartment and stay dry when it rains.

ShortryO

Which is why they are an appliance and not a motorcycle 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update:

With delays in shipping of drawer guides, door hardware... the fabricator is behind on my job. But all is good. Ramp boxes should be done this week. Doors might be a few days out getting power coated.

12' ramps from Discount Ramps are on backorder until July, maybe. That's not a good timeframe. If anyone knows another source for 12' ramps that will carry 1000lbs each, it would be appreciated.

Stuff I have done in the 'between' time:

- run airline from trailer brake line to the back of the bed.

- Finished the wheel chocks

Pdjb7kvl.jpg

- Winch came in so I finished that build.

wJaUHUzl.jpg

ySyGJY4l.jpg

- built the #4 wire run from the batteries to the winch and tested. Works fine, just need the ramps so I can test under real load.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Getting ready to hit the road on the 15th so crunch time and a ton of FedX frustration.

The under-bed boxes are in. Whew... what an ordeal. Broke far to many drill bits doing the drill-n-tap thing to mount these in. Ya, my bad for doing some tricky drilling with carbide bits. Broke two tips off in two holes. A diamond hole saw bit came to the rescue, cutting out the metal around the broken bit. Took a while, but worked great.

From this....

X6BcamLl.jpg

to this....

FoCzEMwl.jpg

M563TrKl.jpg

73HHoJSl.jpg

Still need to add the weather gaskets around the doors. So far...working as planned.

And the bigger cabinets are coming along nicely. Hope to install them tomorrow.

wk7LPEWl.jpg

Now the FedX drama. Ordered the Big Boy ramps from Discount Ramps. They are great to deal with. Their choice of shipping options... ya, not so much. The ramps arrived in Salt Lake on 1 July. Then 4 times they were loaded into a delivery truck only to be returned to the docks. "barcode unreadable". So the driver can't read the address on the package? Guess that's a lost skill set.

Then the ramp package tracking went into 'exception' ... then disappeared completely for days. Then re-appeared as 'new barcode label created'. Then 2 more 'loaded on truck' and then returned to docs. Now it says 'barcode label unreadable. New barcode created.' It's not the 10th and they can't even seem to deliver them to one of the FedX store fronts. Repeated calls to someone in India gets one nowhere. They really work hard to keep the customer from calling the local distribution station and talking with someone who speaks understandable english. Wonderful customer service.

My expectations are pretty low now that the ramps will be undamaged, it they arrive at all. I'm thinking I need to just drive over to the main shipping center (4 miles) and bang on the door. I really can't create the mount locations for the wheel chocks until the ramps get here. Really frustrating... well, actually way past that right now. So many packages delivered here and to neighbors, totally destroyed. Ya, not going to ship FedX anytime soon.

So that's the latest.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Just now, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If you have a tracking number, go to the fed docks and walk in and they can find them.  I had to do this in Chicago....

Yup. That's what I did. Box looked like hell. Some minor damage to the ramps.  Nothing i can't live with.

Now figuring out where they need to set so the CanAm goes up properly.  2 test runs got it close. Wrenching it up backwards. Aligning front wheel ramps shown here.

7qo8r1nl.jpg

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

11 minutes ago, trimster said:

Some minor damage to the ramps. 

Touch base with Discount Ramps. We got a discount when ours showed up bent.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Road trip starts tomorrow . Shake down test. Final boxes installed. Lots of little things to do to finish, but road worthy as is.

3t35tmJl.jpg

qhW0AvQl.jpg

iVYHaf0l.jpg

Pmii3bHl.jpg

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Some thoughts on road-abiliy of bins, latches, and doors.

- slam latches Must be slammed shut to stay closed plus locked. Twice I've stopped to find a ramp bin door open.

Rear bins, because they are behind the axles, scramble anything inside. Tools are everywhere. Need tool-rolls. Generator needs too be strapped down to the slide-out tray.

Otherwise, loving the configuration. 

g1oG9WHl.jpg

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just got back from nearly 2 months on the road. Shakedown for the bed and boxes. 

Everything stayed on the truck. Nice thing. However the boxes behind the drives get the hell shaken out of them. The tools side is a scrambled mess. I bought those multi-pouch rolls for tools and put lots of them in that. That really helps.

The generator side... I'm just blown away. The geny weighs in at 90#. I have it held down with two trucker bungie straps and it still moves/jumps all over.

elH23ALl.jpg

We were launched full seat extension in the cab several times on those bridge sections from the road to the bridge and off.

Maybe ratchet strap this baby in? I hesitate to bolt it in. I like being able to get it out when needed without much work.

Otherwise, all went well with the bed. Next up is getting the skirting water-jet cut, installed and painted.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Regarding your generator,

A ratchet strap or better yet a metal strap, nothing with any elasticity.     In a trucking forum several guys have used plywood on the bottom of boxes to keep them from busting thru.     As you have seen the frame mounted boxes are subject to high G force both negative and positive.     Is fuel leaking out of the generator?   

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

.     Is fuel leaking out of the generator?   

No fuel leak.

I'd thought about getting the vibration isolation mounts. They have studs on both sides. Replace the feet with those. Screw them into the feet mount holes and then to the rollout tray. Makes quick removal not so quick, but might hold it in place PLUS reduce vibration transmitted to the cabinet itself. Then again, these could just get ripped appart. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the aux gas tank installed for the generator.

23tSkXUl.jpg

It's a 7 gal. universal tank for generators.

keVw59Fl.jpg

Fuel line connects to the tank drain and feeds a fill valve.

AzKLWnAl.jpg

Under the tank, which sits above the generator box, is high density foam which will help support the tank when full. This should take a load off the corners where the tank is mounted. 

There will be a locking diamond plate door over the tank filling one of the two remaining openings in the bed. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg