The ins and outs of Starlink: Internet from the sky

RV_

Got the invite to join the "Better than Nothing" beta testers yesterday.  Placed the order immediately.  We will see how it works for me.  Quoted 2-4 week lead time.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

On 2/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, dlundby said:

Power:Router.jpg

Can't read the ports. Sorry I can't help. What are you trying to do? Here it is on a video.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Great info from everyone. This just in from yesterday:

I have a substantial amount of money I will put into it when they IPO, including cashing in my 285 shares of Tesla.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We can't wait to buy our Starlink system! We have not gotten our invitation yet but we will be buying.

Currently we have Centurylink "fiber," which is really fiber to the node in a served area and copper telephone wire from there to the homes. It fails a lot for others I hear, and uses a weird DSL gateway router combined units that cost a lot more than any modem and router for regular cable. We hear a lot of issues from others on Nextdoor app. I get pretty good service although the Gateway/router needs to be rebooted about twice a month, and in the last year we had to have three gateway/routers replaced from complete failures.

For $65/mo.  I am eager to go Starlink when it is deployed here, even though it costs a bit more. But since the closer you are to the node the better your service speeds, our excellent service  makes sense because the node is literally in my front yard. (see my front yard pic below, the greenish box is the node for Internet here.) I thought the green box was a phone node. I'm still getting Starlink.

It is like my cell phone service. We have unlimited and don't use much. We certainly don't buy $1500 phones ours are 2016 free Motorola Z3s that are satisfactory, not great, in everything. We'll be upgrading in March. But we are paying $105 for two unlimited data lines and use less than 500 mb (Not a typo MB not GB) a month on my phone. We use our home computers and with Starlink, even in an RV, we could do the same. I need to find out the data limits before I go Starlink however. We use more than 1.5 TB a month now with streaming and our computer use.

As far as competition no one else but Bezos has both the money and the Launch company other than Musk and Space X. However Bezos just moved to chairman and promoted in house to fill his CEO chair. He said he wants to spend more time on Blue Origin, his Space company, and more time on his philanthropic affairs.

The Centurylink node in my front yard.

lObMMtUl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

20 hours ago, RV_ said:

Can't read the ports. Sorry I can't help. What are you trying to do? Here it is on a video.

The question you posed was:

"dlundby,

If that is yours please supply a pic of the Ethernet ports on the power supply and on the dish. Your pic has the power stated for each but not which goes where. The link below has the best write up and test resultsfrom an average user. If you have even considered getting one, this should nail it. The best I can find is this:"

My written response was:

Yes, the photo is from my Starlink power supply. The Ethernet ports are not labeled Port 1 or Port 2. The Ethernet from/to the dish is the Black one; it would be my best guess that the dish would require the most amount of power (1.6A). The dish warms up when it is cold to help melt snow that accumulates on the dish. I live on a farm in Montana and we are experiencing cold and some snow. This morning it was 20 below with a light cloud cover and I had 110 Mbps.

I did not know about the snow and ice melting warm up either.

Nope I searched for the POE specs but none anywhere I could find. I have read everywhere from 100 watts to 150 watts used while running normally. But this is the first I have heard about a deicer function. That, I would WAG, uses more power, unless they put electronics that heats up in the dish under normal use, which would do the same thing. You have one I do not yet.

110 Mbps download speeds are great, What upload speeds are you getting?

I am in Colorado on the front range at 6000 feet give or take 500. We're getting sub-zero temps starting Sat night into next week.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

18 hours ago, RV_ said:

I did not know about the snow and ice melting warm up either.

Nope I searched for the POE specs but none anywhere I could find. I have read everywhere from 100 watts to 150 watts used while running normally. But this is the first I have heard about a deicer function. That, I would WAG, uses more power, unless they put electronics that heats up in the dish under normal use, which would do the same thing. You have one I do not yet.

110 Mbps download speeds are great, What upload speeds are you getting?

I am in Colorado on the front range at 6000 feet give or take 500. We're getting sub-zero temps starting Sat night into next week.

Thanks for the info.

At 7:30 am on 2/12/2021 we are at 33 below with clear skies.

Download: 95

Latency Unloaded: 36ms

Latency Loaded: 114ms

Upload: 19 Mbps

Download speeds have varied from a low of 46 to a of 180. It appears as more satellites are added the more stable the download speeds.

If you look closely at the power supply, it shows (Total Max 180W) LPS

Thanks And congrats backatcha Hemstead.

I wish we had Starlink when we were fulltime for seven years, '97 - '03. No WiFi anywhere either. No cell data to speak of until 2007 with smart phones. We sure could have used that in Alaska and Canada on our 1999 RV season in Alaska May through mid September. Tesla to me is better than the bank. They will debut the Model 2 $25k cars late 2021(rumor.)

As soon as the Texas plant opens they'll start shipping Cybertrucks.

The almost complete Berlin factory will buttress overflow orders in that region I would surmise.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Good speeds Dl.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998