King, or Queen bed in your 5th Wheel?

Sherri Gregorio

Do you prefer a King bed with "less" room on each side?

Or, a Queen bed for "extra" room on each side?

We always sleep on King beds but wonder if we should save the inches and get a Queen. This will be our very first 5th Wheel - 2021 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK.

Thank you guys!

Edited by Sherri Gregorio

Had a king mattress in ours when we purchased but removed that and put in the adjustabeds that we had in our s & b. Gave up some room on both sides but been happy with it on our eighth year out amongst the mass's.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

26 minutes ago, whj469 said:

King, we have had queens and didn't like them.

And we don't like kings. It's a personal preference and one that - I think - is more related to the sizes of the occupants. My wife and I are quite small and prefer the queen, but I would think larger occupants would need more room. Jay

We sleep on a King waterbed at home, but since we couldn't get a trailer manufacturer to put a water bed in a 5th wheel we went to a queen bed regular mattress in the 5th wheel from the manufacturer to give s more space alongside the bed and then changed it out with a Queen size sleep number bed after we brought the trailer home. So far it has been good for us and we recently did a 7 week trip covering 5400 miles with it and slept good. Like others have said it is your personal preference, but either size works for us.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We had a full-size King in our 5er, there was plenty of room on each side to dress, the Grand Junction was a great 5er.  Now we are back with a Queen bed in this MH, with only 2" on either side to walk.. We were happy with ether size.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Prefer a queen size in our RV and our SNB.  Wife and I are of the bigger stature but prefer queen.  Makes more room on each side in RV for bigger night-stand to hold both our CPAPs.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

For us  a king with the less room for us. We have a couple of labs that sleep with us when we have other people in the 5th wheel. We are not in the bedroom that often in a 24 hour period. We have plenty of room at the end of the bed or in the bathroom to get dressed.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Thank you all for your feedback! Sounds like it's definitely a preference thing. Well, we sleep on a king bed at home, so I decided to go with a king bed in the 5th wheel. I called the Sales Manager this morning to give him my final choice. Having a great nights sleep makes all the difference in the world to me. I'm afraid if I got a queen bed I won't sleep well. Thank you again for your feedback. Everyone stay well, and safe travels :) 

Ours  came with a King however we downsized to a queen. More room on each side and smaller sheets and blankets was our reasoning. When we’re back in the snb the king there now seems huge so no regrets.

Edited by Mark&Chong

USAF Retired

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK, 2019 Chevy 2500

SKP# 159285

We chose the queen.  A king is 76" wide vs a queen which is 60" wide.  That means there is 8" more space/person for a king.  However, the queen gave us more room to walk around the bed  and cabinets on both sides and the sheets were easier to change.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

9 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

We had a king size in our house and bought a Fifth Wheel with a queen bed not giving it much thought. It was hard getting used to a smaller bed, it is like trading in a loaded Cadillac for a base level Chevy with manual windows.

Not giving it much thought?

When we are looking for a RV, we don't even look at one if there is no King bed or King bed option if new

We have always been queen bed people, anyway - even when we had a house. We don't have dogs that sleep with us and neither of us likes to have to search for the other in bed. When it's cold, we're both together in the middle, anyway. The bonus is that our bedroom seems much more spacious and we have more room to walk around the bed (our Solitude fifth wheel has the bed in a slide).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

sure a queen is good ( i am single) a king for couples. 

but i would like to try a double? maybe a twin? or a “special” just s bit wider than a twin, with a longer foot print. 

in my queen i only really use a small area. but i am sure if i went smaller i would not have enough room.

but if i can afford a new rv in about six years time. it will be built for a king. as the slides are made to fit a king, but they put in shelving. nightstands to fit the queen.

then i will dump the economy mattress. and buy a quality double. for the comfort, foot space, and what little weight savings come with a smaller mattress. but if i find. or more like if she finds me😊