Getting a vaccine location

Wrknrvr

There is a CVS across the street from our winter campground, which is probably where we will get the vaccine..  My wife and I have decided that if we get the first shot somewhere, we will stay put long enough to get the second shot at the same place to make sure our paperwork trail is clean.  There are going to be more than one vaccine,  so you want both shots to be the same. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

There is a CVS across the street from our winter campground, which is probably where we will get the vaccine..  My wife and I have decided that if we get the first shot somewhere, we will stay put long enough to get the second shot at the same place to make sure our paperwork trail is clean.  There are going to be more than one vaccine,  so you want both shots to be the same. 

Logical thinking IMO,  that is our tentative plan also.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Last week I read 7-10 days after the last shot immunity will be effective.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

21 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

According to early reports the Pfizer vaccine requires the 2nd shot to be about 3 weeks later.  The Moderna one is closer to five or six weeks between doses.  As of this posting I haven't heard any details about the time each vaccine will be effective.

Moderna shot spread is 4 weeks, but has better storage requirements since it only needs to be kept at -4F or colder, so it will be available at more pharmacies than the Pfizer vaccine.  Pfizer can be kept refrigerated for 5 days,, while Moderna can handle 30 days, so both can be taken somewhere to give shots.  These are just the first two, there will be more.  At least one of the others coming only needs one shot.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

re: vaccine locations. An  Indiana state senator just announced the first locations, all 3 are hospitals, one in the North, Central, and South of the state. This  is for health care industry workers and includes police,firefighters.

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

This  is for health care industry workers and includes police,firefighters.

I would certainly expect those people to be the very first and as one who is considered to be high risk but also able to stay away from most the the risk situations, I support the decision to put me farther down the list for many reasons. One benefit to not being at the top of the list is that it will allow those of us who are older to seen any longer term effects before we are inoculated. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I would certainly expect those people to be the very first and as one who is considered to be high risk but also able to stay away from most the the risk situations, I support the decision to put me farther down the list for many reasons. One benefit to not being at the top of the list is that it will allow those of us who are older to seen any longer term effects before we are inoculated. 

X2

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, packnrat said:

i am stuck in a fixed place for the next year or four. and by the time they catch me and force this in me.  as of now (UN tested juice) the coved 19 bug will be long forgotten.

No it won't be forgotten.  Unless we are able to get close to  100% of the world population vaccinated as we did with smallpox, it will remain in the 'wild' and will mutate a little as it travels through different populations to become less lethal to hosts so that it can replicate and be passed on.   AND the virus is in wild bat populations and probably other wild animal populations in China.  Plus, there are other similar corona viruses in the wild animal populations in China that have already been identified as ones that could jump to humans.   After all, the "Spanish Flu" (which probably originated in the USA midwest and was taken to Europe by our troops in 1918) is still circulating, it is the H1N1 virus, and has slowly mutated over the years to be a little less virulent and our ability to treat symptoms and provide supportive care has increased. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, packnrat said:

i am stuck in a fixed place for the next year or four. and by the time they catch me and force this in me.  as of now (UN tested juice) the coved 19 bug will be long forgotten.

Do what you want but in the meantime google Iron lung and picture seeing someone in one. I first saw someone in one in the 1977 time range. I had seen pictures before but this was live.  I have also seen a child with whooping cough. Vacinations may have some risk but way less than driving to the store.  I choose to get one.

BTW  Thank you Mom for making me get my polio vaccine and all the others I hated since I had a ridiculous fear of needle as child.

One more Thank you USMC and USAF for making sure I got preventative  vaccines for sending me into flaky locations. Just like you sent me into combat with a weapon. Now days  I man up and get my shots voluntarily.

I lied, one more thank you VA for giving me the shingle shot and others like Inluenza

Edited by bigjim

One of my most vivid memory is being lined up and marched into the cafeteria to get our polio shots - and how everyone was scared but no one dared cry, etc., as we had all spent too many summers being told we couldn't go to the lake to swim because there was polio in the area.   My 3rd grade teacher had a limp and a disfigured arm/wrist because of Polio and friends of my parents lost a child to polio, so it was REAL to us.  We all put our dimes in the card slots and turned them in at school, proud each time we filled a card and could hand it in.  Our county health did the vaccinations at each school up and down the valley.   In Dave's county, they were all bussed into downtown Tacoma to a large auditorium and marched in and out by classes from each school, to get their vaccinations.   Each county did if differently, but all used the schools as the place to get the first round of vaccines into children.   I don't think people now have any idea of how polio scared parents back them.   All of the major vaccinations were done at schools as a lot of kids never saw a physician unless they broke a bone, etc.  Wellness visits weren't come, especially in more rural areas of our valley, hence the schools, and always in the elementary schools (except for the polio vaccine) since a lot of kids never went to high school, dropped out to work, etc.   I remember diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough),  tetanus,  and smallpox, as well as TB testing.   Yes, I am older than dirt!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

As I recall it was a series of three shots and I got mine in three different locations. One was at like a public health office as for some reason I was not able to get all at school but mom (&dad) made sure I got them all for sure.  At school I did not let embarassment stop me from freaking out as I got near the front of the line and it took mom , the principal, and a teacher to pull me loose from a desk or something  I grabbed on to so I could get my shot but Mom made sure I got it no matter what.  The other 2 went better.

My dad got some kind of bone disease in high school due to a football injury. At one point in his late teens or very early 20's he took an experimental medicine for it that was collaborated with Dr GW Carver at Baptist Hospital in Memphis and he actually got to meet Dr Carver.  My dad volunteered to be the first person to take it.  It didn't end up helping but it did no harm.  My family believed in preventative care to the max based on their experiences in their lifetime from 1912 on. That was one thing I learned from them.

Interesting side note that my dad had no issue in taking something that a black man worked on considering that part of my family was pretty racist though not in a violent way.  He later took an experimental treat that I believe was done through I think  the Mayo clinic.  His issue ended up being confined mostly to his left leg and a little in his left hip.  He could walk with a severe limp and had trouble and pain at times his whole life until the died in 1997.

the polio was forced on every kid.

had no say so.

as to a iron lung. with my breathing problems now. i would most likely just be in the less than 1% who would die.

and my thing is not in taking the vaccine. but cause it has never been tested. let alone proven to “cure you”. what are the long term side effects?

Edited by packnrat

9 minutes ago, packnrat said:

and my thing is not in taking the vaccine. but cause it has never been tested. let alone proven to “cure you”. what are the long term side effects?

Apparently you don't feel the 43,000 people in the Pfizer/BioNTech phase 3 trial was enough testing? Here's a summary of the results:

• Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose;170 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were evaluated, with 162 observed in the placebo group versus 8 in the vaccine group
  • Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%
  • Safety data milestone required by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) has been achieved
  • Data demonstrate vaccine was well tolerated across all populations with over 43,000 participants enrolled; no serious safety concerns observed; the only Grade 3 adverse event greater than 2% in frequency was fatigue at 3.8% and headache at 2.0%

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

10 minutes ago, packnrat said:

What makes you think that the vaccine has never been tested?  The COVID vaccines have been tested on tens of thousands of people with more testing ongoing. And as far as a cure rate, that is part of the testing as well.  Long-term side effects are a valid concern, but there is no doubt about the effects of COVID. It is killing hundreds of thousands of people and leaving many others with permanent serious heath issues, and will continue to do so until enough are vaccinated.

If you are among those that would rather risk the virus than the vaccine, that is your choice. But the notion that the vaccines are untested and unverified is just plain wrong. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

44 minutes ago, packnrat said:

had no say so.

as to a iron lung. with my breathing problems now. i would most likely just be in the less than 1% who would die.

Others have already responded to your points - which are wrong... but in addition, vaccines aren't, and never have been, a "cure." The purpose of a vaccine is to condition your immune system so that it is capable of mounting a response to an invading virus. The vaccine would not increase your chances of dying - it would increase your chances of living.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

3 hours ago, packnrat said:

had no say so.

I would have to do research to back this up as my memory is old and rusty but I am  fairly certain that not every kid had to take the polio.  Some were expempt for religious reasons I am fairly certain and probably a few other reasons. One repercussion for many is they were not allowed to got to school if they didn't take it.  It was such an evil germ or whatever it was most people were more than happy to do it to protect their children even with the risk involved. Again it is your choice and I am not trying to convince you.  I think about all the people that have voluntarily taken this to try and see if it is safe and I can't bring myself to not take on the lesser risk by taking it. I may not be the absolute first in line but  i won't be far down the line. I have major underlining issues including age, heart, etc but I for one worry about my family taking it but still want them to get it.  It is sure more tested than what my dad took risk on back as a young man so I am going to man up and take.  Just let them try and stop me from taking it.

I went back to google on the iron lung this AM and one of the pictures that came up was the same man I saw in the iron lung in 1977.  He has a really interesting story. Even in an Iron lung he went to college and became a lawyer and now since they don't make iron lungs anymore he has to get his worked by mechanics and washing machine repair guys.

4 hours ago, packnrat said:

had no say so.

And children currently can't attend schools without having a series of vaccinations unless there is a medical reason in most states.  

Vaccines are tested before being administered, where ever did you get the idea they weren't tested?

Vaccines DO NOT CURE.  They prevent the virus from being able to replicate and take over body system.  Did you miss that part of basic biology in school?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will have few side effects except for the fever, muscle ache at site of injection, and the fever is a sign that the vaccine has initiated an immune response and your body is building antibodies to the the viruses having attachment spikes like Covid19.  And since neither of these  vaccines are made using eggs, more people will be able to take this vaccine.  The vaccine is actually a small mRNA segment that when in a cell, initiates the development of a spike, your body sees that as a foreign antigen and start producing antibodies.  Then if a Covid19 Virus enters, your body recognizes the spikes and attacks the spikes, thus the virus can't attach to the cell and you don't become infected. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Kirk W locked this topic