Getting a vaccine location

Wrknrvr

So I was thinking about where you would get a vaccine if you are on the road. Would you need to be at your legal address area.

I have no idea about what will be required. We are and going to be at our legal address. Until when is in question.  So I think( which gets me in trouble at times) that this is something you may want to at least think about.

Wether you want one or not that is up to you.

Vern in a T-shirt 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that you or I will be on the list to get any vaccine for several months and by then we should know more about that. Our doctor also advised us against getting it early in the process since we are high risk. Her advice is to give it time to be proven with the first responders first. On her advice, we have both had the flu vaccine, the pneumonia vaccine, and the newest shingles vaccine. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Until there's a verified vaccine in sufficient quantities with a suitable distribution network and known parameters, I don't think anyone knows how it will be handled at the local level. The extremely low storage temperatures needed by most of the vaccine candidates will make distribution difficult, but not impossible. I'm sure the medical and municipal communities are doing a lot of "What if" planning at this point.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

There are too many uncertainties at this time to answer that question.  Follow the guidelines from the medical experts who know about infectious diseases and not others without the proper experience.  Until the vaccine is proven and there is a plan in place that includes an orderly path to receive the shot(s), we will be staying at home.

My thoughts are to pay attention to what is happening on this subject. So we normally head south for the winter. Sometimes would go from Montana to Florida or Arizona. Once we went to Florida then three weeks later we were in Arizona. Sometimes we went to Pennsylvania also.

So just thinking about what one would need to do for your time to get a vaccine. Say June next summer. Well we were thinking of going to Alaska. Now what do we do.

The reason I started this post is to alert people as what we may need to do if your travels may be interrupted by your appointment.

Just thinking,    Vern in a T-shirt 

15 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

The reason I started this post is to alert people as what we may need to do if your travels may be interrupted by your appointment.

That is a very good point. Plans still call for Escapade in Rock Springs, WY next July. That is another thing that could be impacted by what happens on the vaccine front. It is really difficult to plan very much ahead.

I wouldn't plan on Alaska next summer unless there are high rates of affective vaccinations on both sides of the Canadian border.  If that is in place, I would expect each side would require certificate of vaccination of those entering.  

We will wait until health care, first responders, front line employees and teachers get theirs.  We can wait, we don't intermingle with people who may be carrying the virus all day.  Plus, I would make all travel plans as if we will have the infections through next fall.  As great as it sounds, the safety and efficacy data were for 7 days.  Until we see 90 days or longer efficacy there is no reason to get in line.  Health care workers, yes, they could get boosters every 90 days, the rest of us no.   So breath, check your mask supplies, and keep doing everything to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I agree. It's too early to make guesses or plans.  However, I would think any doctor or suitable medical personnel could vaccinate as you travel.  Perhaps even a pharmacy eventually like that of vaccines currently.

OP... your question is not one I would ponder over.  Make your plans as usual.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The ones giving this vaccine will need to be able to keep it at -101°F.   That’s not just simple dry ice bricks.  So most physicians office will not have it, nor will neighborhood pharmacies.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Would liquid nitrogen keep the vaccines cold enough?  It is widely available and used.  It boils at -196F if I remember correctly. 

I have heard each state will design the vaccine priority for the state.  In Colorado seniors and those with preexisting conditions, outside of care centers will fall just before general distribution.  Many of us here can expect late spring at best.  That is if everything works flawlessly. Given that many of the vaccines require 2 doses separated by time and then time for antibodies to be produced, immunity seems a long way off.  At least that is how we are planning.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Ever work with liquid N2 on a regular basis?  Not as easy as you think.  Yes, liquid N2 is what hospitals will use.  There are ventilation concerns when having any cryogenics around.  In time those problems will be solved, but not right away.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks, Barb. You already answered some of my questions. Not that I am any hurry to risk the vaccine anyway. The testing period was way too short for my comfort level. I am very good at isolating and am back at the severe level of doing so. I am so glad I stopped going to the fitness center here a couple weeks before one of the workers there tested positive.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Ever work with liquid N2 on a regular basis?  Not as easy as you think.  Yes, liquid N2 is what hospitals will use.  There are ventilation concerns when having any cryogenics around.  In time those problems will be solved, but not right away.

We used it a lot on our ranch to store seman for cattle AI.  It was inexpensive and readily available.  Proper storage containers and procedures have been  around for a long time.  

Randy

While the process of and requirements for storage of the covid vaccine are interesting to discuss I doubt that very many of us will be involved in that at all. Those are things being considered by those who do the planning but if this does work out the problems will be worked out in the early stages as they vaccinate those at highest risk and I have no doubt that we will see more information on the subject from sources that are involved. What Vern was pointing out was the fact that when the vaccine does become available to us, distribution of it may will impact any travel plans that we have in order to participate. Flexibility of plans has always been an important thing to all RV travelers and I believe that Vern's point is one well made. Perhaps Vern & I are the last people to have that possible issue cross our minds? I think that it is worth considering well before things progress to that point. I don't expect to have any need to store the vaccine, but I do intend to get it once it is readily available. 

Edited by Kirk W

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

We used it a lot on our ranch to store seman for cattle AI.  It was inexpensive and readily available.  Proper storage containers and procedures have been  around for a long time.  

And in a ranch setting with lots of ventilation, not a problem, especially once everyone was trained in basic safety procedures.    In an building with so-so ventilation, it could be a problem.  It requires some training to handle correctly.   Same with CO2 (dry ice).    

All a matter of training, etc., but that means distribution will take a while and people should not be making plans that will hinge on everything being OK by March or April.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Normally things frozen like this require very specific thawing procedures and temperatures. As I mentioned before we used liquid nitrogen on our ranch.  This required a thawing in a liquid kept at + or - 1 degree of optimum temperature for a specific time. After thawed there is a relatively short time to use it before it deteriorates. I have read that a like proceedure is planned for these vaccines.

Randy

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

I have read that a like proceedure is planned for these vaccines.

I am sure that you are right, but I really don't care as none of us will take part in the process.  😊