Wifi Signal Repeaters?

Kirk W

Has anyone here ever tried any of the wifi signal repeaters which cost under $100 to see if they will make a weak RV park wifi signal useable? Where we live there is community wifi available but in our apartment the signal is too weak to be useable inside but can be used if you sit on the patio. That leads me to think that I might be able to get by with one of the cheapies of the market, but suspect that someone has tried them already. If you have, what was your experience and what make/model was the device that you tried?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have used the Alfa system, and have been pleased with it.  It's a little over your price preference, at about $100 - $130.  It consists of a booster unit and a repeater.  The booster aquires a park wifi signal, and the repeater acts as a router, which feeds a wireless signal to all your devices.  So, when you go to a park that limits your number of attached devices to one or two, you can connect the Alfa, and then have internet access for all your laptops, phones, printers, tablets, etc.  The booster options include a desktop unit, or a high gain tube antenna. 

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

If you already have a wireless router, I would suggest something like the Ubiquity Nanostation, They can be setup as an external wifi adapter connected by ethernet cable to the router or computer. They are available in 2.4 or 5 Ghz models. This video explains how to set it up.  We have been using a Nanostation with various Wifi Ranger routers for years with pretty good success.

Kirk, 

Look at a GL-MT300-v2 on Amazon $20.49. I purchased this a few weeks ago upon recommendation by a forum member. This little device exceed my expectations. I'm using it as an access point for my Visible hotspot. I don't see why it wouldn't work for your situation.

Kirk, great question Ive been there done that lol. Sorry I don't have the exact  make n model number handy (will look later) but what works GREAT for me in that same exact situation is the ALFA WiFi Camp Pro. I have the older version not the Camp Pro 2. It uses an external receiver antenna (but I bought an optional taller high gain unit) which attaches by cable to the inside repeater amplifier. It in turn has the small internal transmitting antenna which my wireless laptop and/or cell phones sees (along with still the park and other sources) as the ALFA network.  Typical non scientific example is if I connect to the parks WiFi look at signal strength and speed VERSUS if I connect to the ALFA (just parks wifi boosted and repeated) both signal strength as well as speed is greatly improved.

NOTE it may be improved by now but the set up and software in my older Camp Pro is a bit time consuming. You first run a search for available networks, select one (strongest not locked or enter password if it is) then it runs some software  and after a good bit of time ALFA finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shows up so you can connect cell phones or a computer.

Mine was NOT as cheap as what you're looking for (had to pay extra for the tall exterior higher gain antenna) but once up n running it works great and render the park wifi as now useable versus it not otherwise.

ALFA   https://www.amazon.com/alfa-wifi-booster/s?k=alfa+wifi+booster

Cheaper units:  https://top5-wifiboosters.com/us_en/best-wifi-boosters?source=bing&msclkid=e9e82440cbb8123276da7be58c820056&aff_sub1=316629733&aff_sub2=1351300209076243&aff_sub3=kwd-84456489521478:loc-190_wifi booster_e&aff_sub4=_&aff_sub5=&geoid=91633&device=c&devicemodel=&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=USA_Wifi&utm_term=wifi booster&utm_content=Wifi_Booster_Phrase

The concept is fine but sorry I cant advise you on any other brands besides what I use, Im sure you will research and select a good one THEY DO WORK

Best wishes Im headed out Sunday for your great state and will be at SKP in Livingston Texas shortly

John T

We necessary, I will use the Alpha Campro II to boost a WiFi  signal.  It works well to boost a weak signals, however it will not provide additional bandwidth.  The bandwidth is determined byt the connection of the host computer and the number of users on the network.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

What devices are you planning on using? Phones or tablets may not give you any choice but to connect by wireless through a repeater. With computers, I find that connecting the computer(s) to the router or Nanostation/router combination by ethernet gives consistently better speed than using the router as a repeater.  I am currently using a Wifi Ranger Spruce router which seems to have a more sensitive receiver and more powerful transmitter than my phones or computers as it consistently identifies and connects to more wifi access points than either the phones or conputers.

2 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I find that connecting the computer(s) to the router or Nanostation/router combination by ethernet gives consistently better speed than using the router as a repeater

trailer traveler  I HAVE FOUND THE SAME THING. When I connect with a LAN cable the performance is MUCH BETTER then if I connect wireless. I ran Cat 7 LAN cable versus the older Cat 5

John T

John T, I went on Amazon to look at your suggestions and while there discovered another model from Alfa that is only $50 with a 4.2 star rating from almost 1000 users. I will dig into it more as I have only begun to look at them. While wifi here is password protected, every resident has a password for it so that isn't an issue. In nice weather I rather enjoy sitting on our patio to do my internet thing, but winter is a bit too chilly in north TX.

12 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

What devices are you planning on using?

Not planning to use many devices, only my computer and at times Pam's computer. We have data via our phones but not unlimited, which the community system is. Some months I really don't need more but if we have any computer updates or even spend a lot of time on Facebook and other graphics rich environments, we bump into limits or at least have to be careful. With it only a backup, we really don't want to spend a lot and the community is looking at improving access to the residents so whatever we do may not be needed in the future. Management in the community had intended to have it resolved by now, but with the increased costs brought about by covid19, it has had to be put off for now. I am free to go to our community center and use it there, but covid has also made that more difficult with social distancing and masks, etc. Speed really isn't all that critical since I can easily save our own data for use in speed critical situations and we don't download movies. 

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I went on Amazon to look at your suggestions and while there discovered another model from Alfa that is only $50 with a 4.2 star rating from almost 1000 users. I will dig into it more as I have only begun to look at them.

If I am reading the product description correctly, this devise is a Wifi adapter that connects to a computer by USB. It does not appear to be able to connect to multiple devices at the same time. It does not appear to be able to connect to a router, So, in order for two computers/devices to share the connection, the computer with the adapter connected would have to be able to share its internet connection as a hotspot or by wired connection.

Edited by trailertraveler

32 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

If I am reading the product description correctly, this devise is a Wifi adapter that connects to a computer by USB.

Yo Trailer man  I AGREE WITH THAT.........Ive had several of those "USB WiFi Adapters". I see them as improving your laptops Wi Fi reception BECAUSE OF THEIR HAVING THAT EXTERNAL ANTENNA WHICH IS BETTER THEN THE LAPTOPS SMALL INTERNAL ANTENNA (my guess no warranty). They are ONLY for the laptop into which they are USB plugged...(because of their bigger/better antenna Im thinking???)  but hey they do work and do improve reception.  HOWEVER those are NOT the same as a WiFi Repeater Amplifier like my ALFO Camp Pro. It uses a HUGE external antenna, sends all available WiFi signals out there to the Internal Repeater/Transmitter, then it appears (to a phone or laptop) as a whole new more powerful WiFi source ALFA into which my wifes phone, my phone, and my laptop can connect wirelessly. NOTE they also make simple cheapest no boost USB pure antennas ONLY, but they also make them having a small booster amplifier, yet still ONLY for the computer they happen to be plugged into

Either system can "work" and of course a simple USB Wireless Adapter is cheaper but as noted above they do not serve the same purpose. When I was in a campground with Wi Fi where I had maybe 1 or 2 bars on our phones or laptop connected to the parks WiFi, service was GREATLY IMPROVED WHEN I ENABLED THEN CONNECTED TO MY ALFA

Oh well to each their own  and Im not a fan of spending more then necessary , it depends on the need.

IS THAT RIGHT TRAILER MAN ??????????

John T (RV is being loaded as we speak)

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

In nice weather I rather enjoy sitting on our patio to do my internet thing,

Kirk, I HEAR THAT.  As noted above a USB Wireless Adapter would work and improve the parks reception on your laptop if setting outside but its NOT for a cell phone. If you used a Repeater Amplifier (but more expensive) it would receive (big external antenna) then amplify, then re transmit (its internal transmitting antenna) the parks WiFi (but now called the ALFA or what brand you buy Network) out to your porch (subject to location) so a laptop PLUS phones etc can connect.

Hey don't spend more the necessary just get what suits your needs (what I'd do lol) 

Best wishes Kirk, always a pleasure sparky chatting with you

John T Headed your way 

9 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I have an excellent repeater but it's not under $100

I've stayed out of this discussion because I didn't want to be accused of making a commercial post, but if you're willing to go above $100 there are some much higher quality products available to you. The performance of router/repeater/amplifiers available today is far superior to what was available ~5 years ago.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

What do you have and what did it cost?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KRTXQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CC Vector Extended Long Range WiFi Receiver System

About $300.

This thing will pull in a signal from a half-mile away as long as it's a clear shot to the broadcast antenna. I mount it on top of my 5er's ladder. 

Edited by hemsteadc

• Im NOT pushing or suggesting ANY brand whatsoever, but offering this ONLY for comparison and price shopping...

AMAZON ALFA Camp Pro 2

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alfa+camp+pro+2+wifi&crid=VWPC6SFT46VV&sprefix=ALFA+camp+pro+2%2Caps%2C157&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_4_15

E BAY ALFA Camp Pro 2

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=alfa+wifi+camp+pro+2&_sacat=0

E Bay ALFA Camp Pro 2 Mini OPEN BOX $68

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-Alfa-WiFi-Camp-Pro-2-Mini-R36A-Extender-Bundle-USB-cable-Suction-Mount/133416519343?hash=item1f103e86af:g:6XIAAOSwkR5c5sjG

E Bay ALFA Camp Pro 2 Mini NEW $88

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-WiFi-Camp-Pro-2-Mini-R36A-Extender-Bundle-10ft-USB-cable-Suction-Cup-Mount/113759057681?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a7c917711:g:6XIAAOSwkR5c5sjG&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkAgU0umhwUTmgTFbE5cu7zYGxWljAnANBPtLkHMSwbpUPyJw2UynFjm3Ajy28%2FwJO3SMHazW1hSmsBeehI0pI6OfK%2BFeMzSrSEvyj8FEPZ84hk7rIliiGijNzrvU7aGaFEmzSJawCwldYPazWOOYTG5nLf61e52mN7TQtpFZQNwRgL5LFhgHjpdX5pMsnn0cKyPEZ3a1NYM7qqQDoqdFJlghDG2uONei1ecBr4ZbV5yJi204c3Zmiodn8fZD45uNT75VxTZqWS7nqy1plZ8YeFiPpMGP2YY20gMzHqGzOLGEPpdJMi9zEaSrQ0Qg3Mw95UAbnjwyNiHdaCQWowNoI9VA9bb7m7UTkMaPIUU6IbAwQfn7nphWbphddfzVMj%2FYzKFp6m8FgpqY3csTSJHG%2FP%2BI89XFqLCjbXuU%2BU7XyC8PEOyYSWNX5plPjy8LexeDQ1BYDHMhcNKXF7T0aCjleHoZlU4WcvqmuV6hdBDLczLF319xIdSPtXlFpwrqXueHyRmJ1YyQEe1fGWEP4nZNyiYz8TyCJiBLm3VI1zsLA%2BpsgciyWXDMIZiSZgoHkvLaQ%2B%2FMCazortC%2FHa8Qy7lwSAvQru3MhwXzt%2B5SDiPStrOibt7h6j9%2FtTBr9iurjC4jGCOUxXL4ou79QHpWRF6Y9ox%2BB8mjL0ijNbCIP2NGOhNXxFyoLm4Msyv74StHuS%2B6%2FTPho7fhw9cq3YOJIDX9vnwYNuegi%2FFpR1kxtelqiSGcy9%2FxKbb9wAJVpOjjHnpBxuZh%2F0r2CI5UgTUXwA69CRw%3D%3D|cksum%3A1137590576810d31e9aaf0494247a25697a97951d3cd|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

E Bay ALFA Camp Pro 2 FULL SIZE $136

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-WiFi-Camp-Pro-2-v2-long-range-WiFi-repeater-kit-R36A-Tube-Booster-Antenna/112987222694?epid=14027048221&hash=item1a4e9032a6:g:kRkAAOSwgeJe4~81

John T

I'm still looking for the "tightwad" version of these but the best do seem to be those Old John has listed. I am finding that pretty much all of the lower price units are designed to use linking your own router to weak signal areas and so much be brought close and mated to the router involved. At this point, I have no way to get close to the router that my signal comes from. 

One thing that I do have plenty of is time to chase about on the internet! 

EDIT  Well, I may have to loosen the purse strings, but I did finally find another device that may work for the same cost as the Camp Pro 2, and it has better ratings Anyone know anything about it of have an opinion, I'd be interested to hear. 

King Wifi Max  ($99 here but $89 on Amazon Prime)

the Wifi Max manual

Edited by Kirk W

Kirk I have been satisfied with the performance of the Bear Extender Outdoor model. Yes it is hard-wired to only one computer. I have it zip-tied to an auto-body suction cup I attach to the side of the MH on a 3' section of PVC pipe, This way I may aim it as desired to obtain the best reception.

The downside, I must leave the window open enough to run the coax through..

p.s. They do sell a different model  for about the same price.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961