Keeping a pistol in my 5th wheel across all lower 48 states

I don't want to advocate one way or the other but no question in some cases a firearm can be critical.  I have said this here so many times that a lot of people on the forum are sick of hearing.  Some years ago I had a black bear trying to get in a window with me close enough to hit it in the face with a plastic wall clock through the metal window blinds and hollering at it like crazy. That method had no effect  and I considered going for a shotgun back by the bed loaded with alternating slugs and double ought shot. I decided if I left the window it might get in before I could get it and be ready to fire.  Instead reached under a handy couch cushion and got a Glock 26 9mm with 10 rounds. Even then I did not want kill it and did not know if a 9mm would do the job and I did not want a wounded one out there. My choice was quickly to let off one round through the window into the dirt about 18-24 inches from its left ear.  Luckily that solved the problem instantly and I got to see how fast a supposedly lumbering bear could move. (very impressive)  If that had not worked then the next 9 rounds would have been Fire for Effect.   All of this probably took place in 2 minutes or less although it sort felt like at least an hour and most of my thought process seemed to be in slow motion until it was over.  i immeadiatly sat down and tried not to have a heart attack as the adrenlin kicked in. (weapon in hand in case it returned)  A short time later i considered going outside armed to see if there was any sign of it but still felt shaky so I called 911 and a couple of deputies came out and looked around to make a sure it was long gone.  A day or so later I got the real fear when I found out how much it would cost to replace the window as the frame was too bad to  repair. It can even be difficult to find a window on an older rig.  4 days later we live trapped one about 30 yards from the trailer and they asked me to identify it.  I said it fit the description but I could not be sure it was the right one so they took it away and either re-located it or put it down at their (game wardens) judgement and I never let them tell me as I can not lie with a straight face.

I don't always keep my weapons  that ready or in those locations,  It depends on the location and circumstance and sometimes I store them with the bolt or other part  missing so they would not fire even if loaded.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

Are U the man of the house?

Yea, *I* am, and I have my wife's permission to say so.... LOL  Every thing else is co-operation, she says and I does.

I own pistols but don't carry any.  I own lots of rifles and shot-guns, prefer the shot-gun for protection, legal in almost every state *Don't quote me... LOL*  If the law says you can carry, with/without a permit, go for it.  I don't need one, have bad carpel tunnel/arty-ritus so would end up dropping anywayz and arming the intruder.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Problem with a shot gun is it's not a good idea to have around the campfire. Can't easily carry if the situation warrants.... I don't mind saying howdy to a fella packing at a campfire but some guy toting a shotgun will be avoided...

I think most "assaults" will be when the bad guy has you outside so a good sidearm makes it very simple to be armed. If I'm locked in my RV there's very little for me to be concerned about. Grab a hand gun and hit 911 if need be. Think about it; Bad guys are not gong to come after you when locked inside. Even if a hand gun at that distance will suffice.

I have a Colt 1911 .45 for EDC, a Sig 229 9mm for bed side and a Daniel Defense DDM4 "pistol" AR. The AR may be over kill BUT VERY accurate. I can easily make 3" groups from 50 yards shooting quickly. Aimpoint PRO red dot "scope". Over penetration is a concern so back drop needs to be discerned quickly but 30 rounds makes it a prime home defense firearm and scares the bejeezus out of bad guys. Point being from 10 feet the outcome is preordained.

Only firearm I've seen hang up is a pump action shot gun....

Aside from just buying a gun and getting advice IF you have the means take a real course on firearm self defense. Google Gunsite or Thunder Ranch and you may find ~$1000 for a weekend intense training may serve you well. You can have all the guns in the world but lacking the approach and mental sharpness they will be worthless. Perhaps some of Masaad Ayoob's books and articles would be of help as well.

Jeff Cooper's classic should be read by anyone considering firearms for self defense! Here's a free pdf of it I found:

https://ftp.issuu.com/infodragon/docs/principles_of_personal_defense_-_je/28

Good luck!

Edited by aztex

I have been camping and RVing for nearly all of my life and have yet to need to defend myself with a gun. I feel the least threatened when out with the RV but used to go far back into the wilderness to camp and consider that to have been safer yet. I have owned guns of some sort since I was 12, but they have all been for sport of some type. Very few of those who I know with a concealed carry permit spend anywhere close to the amount of range time needed to be proficient with their gun when under duress. Studies have shown that even police officers only hit the person targeted about 35% of the time. I sure would not want to be the person who fired his weapon and missed his target, only to hit some innocent bystander. Neither would I want to shoot through the next RV over. If you are going to carry you should be practicing every week.

The Importance of Practice

Live Fire: Practicing with your gun at the range will build skill and confidence.  Practice shooting live rounds at the range at least once a month with your defensive handgun, for a minimum of 50 rounds each time. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I have been camping and RVing for most of my life too. I have never had to use my weapon either but I always carry it. I also always have a fire extinguisher with me too and I have never had a fire. My gun is just a tool like my fire extinguisher and I never leave home without it. I do practice more with my gun than my fire extinguisher. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I often carry and where we typically boondock I am probably more likely to use my weapon on an animal.  When we were ranching I have used my gun to protect live stock and us from animals but have never had to point it at a person.  With a little luck and care hopefully I will never point it at a person.  I too feel it is insurance and it is better not used but it is there if needed.  However, just as a ccw permit doesn't require me to carry, carrying doesn't require me to deploy it and in some situations it may be best to just hope for the best.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

10 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I do practice more with my gun than my fire extinguisher. 

That is something else that many probably have never practiced with. I have, but not often, like 2 or 3 times since I stopped being a volunteer firefighter. I did use my outdated dry powder one about 2 years ago, but nothing since. I don't say whether I have a gun with me or not, and do not plan to start sharing that. What I do have problems with is the person who buys a gun strictly for protection, as sport shooters usually spend more time and ammunition in practicing. I used to shoot at least monthly and sometimes more. Now I sometimes go a couple of months between range days. When we were on the road it was often difficult to find a place to practice and as a result I was very much out of practice.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We belong to a sportsman club with a very nice range in Florida and  a family member has several acres in the countryside  here where we can shoot. Since we no longer hunt most of our long guns passed to our sons.  We have been a sport shooter for many years and worked the national matches at Camp Perry in years past.

We hold a CCP from Ohio because we can.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I too have not practiced much recently. Ammo is getting harder to find and a lot more expensive. When I had a S&B I did reload but now in the RV I do not. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, Ray,IN said:

Dan, for strictly self-defense, rather than a hangun I prefer this: https://www.range365.com/mossberg-shockwave-gun-test/

Ray,

I am surprised in that no 1-3/4" shells are for sale anywhere with buckshot. I was just looking after seeing that Shockwave article in your link. I may be getting one of them and the adapter for shorty shells.

For self defense in an RV or home I really like "The Judge" pistol https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/revolvers/taurus-judge/taurus-judge-revolvers-45-colt-410-ga-5-round-matte-black-oxide/

Loaded with Winchester PDX1 Defender rounds. https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/pdx1-defender-410-gauge-ammo-prod88405.aspx

The Judge can also be a defense handgun as it can handle both .45 Long Colt handgun rounds AND .410 shells.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just for info, many years ago when we did 7 years of full-timing, from my age 45-52 we did everything West of the Mississippi,and from Mexico up to and including a season in Alaska.

I am not recommending this to any other. IT was also a different time. 1997-2003.

I sold all my weapons and stored some with my family in Louisiana. except my Savage Model 24C .22lr over 20 ga., and my Beretta Mod 96 .40 cal pistol with high capacity magazines. Funny, that rig when totaled had a loaded magazine somewhere in it. Never found it.

Anyway we traveled all of the West with them in the fiver behind us. We had our Shar-pei, Bogart the Wonder dog, in the cab with us on the road. Trust me, no one, not even friends were allowed to reach in without a big scary fuss by him. He never bit anyone except for a friend who tried to hug me through the window. I did not feel the need for a loaded gun in the truck. Again not recommending for anyone else. When asleep and in a campground we did pull them out from under the bed and had the .40 loaded and chambered. (safe with the Military Beretta the M-9, and my .40 cal M96. I gunsmithed/repaired them in the military along with all the hand, shoulder tripod and vehicle mounted weapons, so I carried what I could rebuild and modify as I pleased.

When we did Alaska and Canada in 1999 I did all the paperwork to bring only my Savage 24C legally through Canada to Alaska. I left the pistol with my FIL until we returned to our Louisiana winter quarters. Savage 24C pics

Our border guards entering Canada was handed a sheaf of papers including our dog's health statement letter and vaccination certificates. I was asked to step out and go in the booth because I had to sign the gun paperwork in front of the officer in charge. I asked if they wanted to see it and offered to let them come in and look to be sure it was legal. They declined and waved us through. MY retired USAF ID was always my double ID along with my driver license, vehicle insurance. Our friends behind us in another HitchHiker, said they had none and Bob was arguing with the border guard. They got pulled over and searched thoroughly. After an hour they passed after explaining the BB gun that looked like a .45 auto in his truck bed toolbox! (he kept it too!)

All I am going to say is that save for boondocking, when in public park campgrounds or private campgrounds I never felt the need for the gun except for once walking Bogart but his attitude made him decide to panhandle elsewhere, if that was what he intended.

We never declared our registered guns anywhere and we stayed at military bases, public and private parks everywhere. They were locked in an ammo can under the bed in the storage space, and the ammo in another locked can. The 24C was in two pieces, the barrel assemble and the receiver assembly.That was ll needed back then to travel through any state legally. I always knew about the sport shooting events for the year, if asked I was on the way to one but I was never asked.

I have never even had a traffic ticket on my record and had an exceptional military career. I even had all my original collection of guns in Germany in my housing for the seven years we were there. I was shocked that I had to do BATF paperwork at least six months in advance to import them back to the US. THeyu could not be sold to locals and most military had all they needed so I did pick up a Luger, A Ruger Mini 14, and an LAR Grizzley in 45 Winchester magnum.

LAR Grizzly pics

I did keep the shotgun loaded and when asked I told them, as I stated in the gun paperwork, that the gun was for defense from wild animals only. I heard that if you say self defense against humans you were turned away.

Of course we were and are not druggies from opioids or otherwise, never went to bars or seedy areas for illicit entertainment/substances.

We never showed them to other campers. Once a young woman traveling alone expressed her concern and we told her we were both retired cops and to holler if she needed anything. Still did not imply in our words we had guns.

The only other thing I do today is I sold all my magazines over ten rounds for my Bushmaster.

I even sold my Ruger twin 10-22 Gatling gun in Louisiana before moving here as it had two 50 round magazines, one on each side's action.

My Subaru Forester attack "Technical" vehicle.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Z7qJO3Zl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/NtLdKHOl.jpg[/IMG]

When stopped for a traffic stop any concealed carry licenses you have can be checked on his office (cruiser) computer whether you tell the stopping officer you have guns in the vehicle or not. If he does a check for that. Despite all my guns being registered, I preferred not to be in any state, federal, or county, databases for carrying. I carried back in the day in my car or truck. IN Louisiana we could have a gun loaded, cocked and locked, and concealed in the vehicle. But if you put it/them in the trunk it is illegally concealed. The driver/passenger compartment was considered domicile.

Do check the laws. Do practice, and remember up close where these defense situations occur, even a shotgun needs to be aimed as the pattern is still about a half to 3/4s of an inch out to about five yards or 15 feet. Self defense is usually from point blank to ten feet. I have an article I wrote and is usually on my website but I have still not put it back up with my new website host GoDaddy. I was an Air Force Combat Arms instructor and cop at the end. I taught civilian cops and civilians as well as Hunter safety classes in Colorado '78-'81, and Louisiana. We were also the base gun repair and inspectors. So our elevator speech about what we do is: "We teach them how to shoot, fix them when they break."

My recommended book is "Street Survival" from Calibre Press. If anyone wants my long RV defense article just email or PM me.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

40 minutes ago, JimK said:

If self defense is the concern, I highly recommend bear spray!  I saw only one discharge and became an instant believer.  I think it would stop a herd of charging elephants.  In addition there are no major ethical or legal concerns.

Some years ago we were near Hyder AK when a bear began wondering towards a small group of people.   The Park Service employee stepped in front with bear spray.  I remember her saying oops and then most of us were on the ground coughing and eyes watering.  She just pushed it for less than second but the wind was towards us.  The bear was not affected as it was upwind.  That stuff is nasty if it goes where you want it.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Just be aware that a small number of people are unaffected by chemical agents.  Having spent a lifetime in law enforcement, I have been involved in literally hundreds of incidents where chemical agents were used and sometimes it is necessary to use other measures. 

Safe Travels (or not)...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

5 minutes ago, k4rs said:

Just be aware that a small number of people are unaffected by chemical agents.  Having spent a lifetime in law enforcement, I have been involved in literally hundreds of incidents where chemical agents were used and sometimes it is necessary to use other measures. 

Safe Travels (or not)...

Truth there ^^^^^.

In my LEO training, one of the things we were required to do was to take a small dose of a pepper/tear spray and continue to fight our partner thru the haze.  And none of us were hopped up on drugs.

iirc, our instructor said that about 15% of the population isnt effected enough to make a significant difference.

7 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Are pepper spray and mace the same or do they have different affects on people and animals?

No. Even products labeled soley as 'pepper spray' will have different formulations/proportions.  If you want to start a cop fight, get one to tell the other that his spray works better than anyone elses.

10 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Are pepper spray and mace the same or do they have different affects on people and animals?

We once crossed into Canada.  We were asked if we had any repellant onboard.  I stated "just dog repellant for when we bike". The agent took it inside and came out and said "I'm sorry but I'll have to take this as it's not meant for bears".  (All of $3 bucks worth or so).  He said bear spray is allowed if it's marked accordingly.  He was very apologetic.  So for Canada, the only repellant allowed is for bears.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel