SB52

LP alarm going off after we removed propane tanks

We removed our propane tanks yesterday to get them refilled and now today the LP alarm won’t stop going off. Any idea why? There is obviously not a leak and we don’t know how to make it stop.

5 hours ago, SB52 said:

There is obviously not a leak and we don’t know how to make it stop.

Do you mean that the alarm is going and no propane tanks are installed? Glen is correct that those alarms can and do fail. It is also possible that something else is triggering it. First thing I'd check is to be sure that you don't have a combination CO/propane alarm as that could be caused by a CO situation if it is and that might be dangerous. If it isn't a combination alarm then I'd think either it is failing or some source of methane or other combustible gas. If it is going off constantly, that would make me think as Glen is. 

We had this happen many years ago and we had just changed tanks and thought the valve wasn't tight enough.  We eventually found it to be some critter had nibbled at a hose.  Luckily the campground had a repair service on site and the guy told us that it wasn't a big hole and with the full tank hooked up it set off the alarm.  In the 13 years since that happened it hasn't happened again.  Now we know to check the hoses each time as we prepare to hit the road. 

Edited by Mr. Camper

This is not only an LP detector, it  detects ALL combustible gas's. More than one have reported their sleep dog has triggered the LP alarm. Off-gassing batteries, hair spray that does not have an inert propellant can trigger the LP detector; and the list goes on_. All LP,, smoke, C0, etc. detectors have a life-span.

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

They have a life span. Maybe time to replace

X-2

At one time I had an older TT stored on the side of my house.  Would go to do some work on it, and "something" was "chirping".  (Smoke detectors had batts removed.) Couldn't figure where it was coming from.....until the ah-ha moment.

Propane tanks not on trlr, so no odor possible! -  Detector was 110 only - probably been there since the TT was built w/ detector hiding out of sight down at floor level (where it belongs).

But........ Lil' critter was unhappy 'cause he was old, like Kirk.  (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

A trip to Lowe's or HD should solve the problem.

Like Ray,IN said, the propane alarm will go off if batteries are out gassing. Check your batteries and converter for charging.