Sign in to follow this  
kstills

Any Truck Camper Full Timers?

Reading how you all save space and weight reminds me of our days going into the backcountry on foot or horseback. Some of the same principles do apply. 

2 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Reading how you all save space and weight reminds me of our days going into the backcountry on foot or horseback. Some of the same principles do apply. 

I have traveled on foot and canoe in the back country.  The difference between that and a TC is huge.  For the former the limit is 50# or so of gear each person and that would include a tent and cooking and sleeping gear.  Not counting the bed and bedding and cooking gear, I have room for well over a 1000# of clothing, hobby gear, food and miscellaneous.  That includes the entire back seat of my truck, several cubic feet of storage between the camper and truck body, 4 lockers and 2 wardrobes in the sleeping area, several drawers and overhead cabinets in the kitchen area, another 2x2x3 wardrobe, a 1 1/2 x 2 x 3 pantry and a huge storage loft of 2x2x6.  I also have 2 storage compartments and a dual propane compartment and a battery bank accessible from the outside.  Even the rear bumper is hollow and provides storage for a wood saw, HD extension cord, tools and hardware.  

There is just no comparison with foot or horseback camping.  In fact a great many larger RVs have less storage than my TC.  What I give up is mostly floor space, shower stall, oven,  reclining chairs, extra beds, and a big screen TV.    

2 hours ago, kstills said:

https://www.airskirts.com/

Now that's pretty cool. 

Wondering if you all think they could be used between the truck cab roof and bottom of the TC? Would certainly improve winter camping ability if they could. 

Those are cool. One of my main complaints with TC’s is the overhead messes up the aerodynamics of the truck - a cornering cross wind can set up some annoying whistles. In the 70’s you could buy inflatable donuts to go between the roof and overhead to fair out the area, stop bug smashes on the front of the camper, reduce the camper jiggle for and aft etc. Some people that have designed fairings report 2mpg economy increases. 

This company could likely put out a 2020 version.

Edited by noteven

33 minutes ago, noteven said:

Those are cool. One of my main complaints with TC’s is the overhead messes up the aerodynamics of the truck - a cornering cross wind can set up some annoying whistles. In the 70’s you could buy inflatable donuts to go between the roof and overhead to fair out the area, stop bug smashes on the front of the camper, reduce the camper jiggle for and aft etc. Some people that have designed fairings report 2mpg economy increases. 

This company could likely put out a 2020 version.

I've been giving that fairing some thought myself. I'm wondering if the truck body companies that specialize in camper bodies could come with something like that? Would increase fuel economy and provide better insulation for the bottom of the bedroom which would help reduce condensation in colder weather. 

Overhead fairings - I've seen designs made in a V shape from perforated PVC leaf blockers for rain gutters on houses, attached with J channel to the underside of the overhead. The round hole perforations interrupt the turbulence a full solid fairing would create. Here is some posts on rv.net from TC people:

posts about "airfoils" on truck camper overhead

Edited by noteven

There are a lot of wind deflectors for RVs.  Most are sold with the intent of improving aerodynamics and fuel mileage.  It is doubtful that any of those make any even minor improvements.  As a reference, you can check YouTube videos from Marion Blair.  He is a pickup truck performance nut who also tows an RV.  His careful studies showed no improvement in mileage.  Some deflectors in the front hood area can help keep bugs from hitting the windshield.  The bugs do seem to hit the camper anyway.

BTW, donuts are still available to go between the back window of a truck and the front camper window.  Inflatables are easy to find.  There is also a substantial vinyl covered foam boot which I believe is still available from Truck Camper Warehouse and also Northstar campers.  Mine works well and prevents any whistling sound when the windows are open.  I typically leave the windows open and a camper vent open so that the truck helps maintain a reasonable temperature in the camper.

I have a gap between the camper and the top of the bed rails.  The gap is about 1 1/2" in the rear and about 2 1/2 in the front.  I made dense insulation foam strips to fill those gaps on all sides.  Sealing off that area helped to keep the camper warm in cold weather.  I also use that area as storage and the seals help keep out dirt and bugs.  At one time I even had birds trying to nest in that area.

Edited by JimK

I just spoke to Host today, and boy are they going all in with their off grid systems. 

1, 2 or 3 360AH Li batteries, with up to 5 190 watt solar panels! 

Good grief, that's an S ton of power! 

I also got them thinking of possibly offering an option for a composting toilet instead of the flush model. They'd have to delete the bathroom sink (which could be a deal breaker because of resale), my argument was that there was a sink less then 10 feet away that people could use. 

They can't retrofit the diesel/gas heaters because of priming issues when you drop the camper, but they do offer a residential fridge which would go great with the off grid package and leave all your propane for hot water and the furnace, if needed. 

Really nice people up there, it was a great conversation. 

JimK, have you made the run up to the Arctic Circle? I'm reading how beautiful Canada and Alaska are, and I'm really looking forward to that trip.