This is not good news for fulltimers

ToddF

I don’t know anyone of my buddies or even my wife or adult kids that use forums. 

We rode goldwing for 20 years with 11 other couples, none of them had ever heard of a goldwing forum. 

some might not feel welcome when the regulars are always right and nobody else is. 

like the thread about US Postal Service is reliable and fast, I keep getting told I’m wrong about a coin shortage yet I’ve never seen it, spent today and Monday in the twin cities eating and shopping and paying cash and not once was I told they wanted exact change or use a card yet that thread I basically keep getting told I’m wrong, makes s person not feel welcome. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kurtsara said:

I keep getting told I’m wrong about a coin shortage yet I’ve never seen it, spent today and Monday in the twin cities eating and shopping and paying cash and not once was I told they wanted exact change or use a card yet that thread I basically keep getting told I’m wrong, makes s person not feel welcome. 

You are not wrong just because our experiences are different. We are not wrong just because your experiences are different. The only way to be wrong is to insist your experience is THE WAY it is. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Another reason that newbies or younger folks might not use this forum is because the people may think that the  Escapees organization is geared toward full-timers or retirees.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, dixonge said:

They just never came here to begin with.

I suspect that you are correct, but we do get a few younger people at times and I just want us to make an effort to encourage them to visit at least occasionally. I'd love to see them become the majority and take over what others have built here. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think this forum is more active than we realize...over 600 views of this thread. Escapees has helped me so much with this forum, the parks, and the magazine, I would be lost without you guys.

The RV Life forums (irv2 and Winnie) are very active too.

I don't do any social media. Have recently added the "reader comments" of my newspapers to the list of social media that I won't participate in. Studies have shown that overdosing in social media can have very negative psychological consequences. When I read the comments in various stories on my newspapers, there is too much hate and division. I have "opted" out. I don't care if you're a Republican, Democrat, or something else. Won't let politics get in the way of friendships.

Thank goodness for these forums! And I didn't mean to spew negativity when I started this thread, it probably came across that way. For the record, I see all campers as members of my "clan". Fulltimers and weekenders alike, but, please, turn off the music and go to bed after 11:00 PM. :)

Edited by ToddF
spelling

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I suspect that you are correct, but we do get a few younger people at times and I just want us to make an effort to encourage them to visit at least occasionally. I'd love to see them become the majority and take over what others have built here. 

The young don't have to take over the forum to continue to build this organization. Just like we no longer have dial up connections--communication systems change. And that's fine.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

The young don't have to take over the forum to continue to build this organization.

Most of us do not expect to be here forever. As our numbers decline, and they surely will, the younger members will become the majority, if we can get them involved. I don't know about you, but I am now about 25 years older than I was back when I first became a regular on these forums. I realize that I'll not be here forever but like to think that these forums will be. 

Edited by Kirk W

1 hour ago, dixonge said:

It doesn't help that even Escapees seems to be 'all-in' on Facebook. We are participating in the Winter Home Base Hangout in Livingston this year. The *ONLY* official communication for updates and events, etc. is a Facebook group. I was even given instructions for signing up for an anonymous Facebook account (which would technically violate Facebook's policies). There is no other way to hear from the Hangout Hosts!

That would really suck for me.

5 hours ago, dixonge said:

It doesn't help that even Escapees seems to be 'all-in' on Facebook.

That does seem to be the way things are moving. I suppose that it is my age showing that I wish to see the forums continue and prefer them to tech discussions. 

41 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

That does seem to be the way things are moving. I suppose that it is my age showing that I wish to see the forums continue and prefer them to tech discussions. 

While I really appreciate the forums, there is no way I'll participate on Facebook or any other social media platform. 

1 hour ago, kstills said:

While I really appreciate the forums, there is no way I'll participate on Facebook or any other social media platform. 

X2. Last night we watched a docu-drama on Netflix where many people who helped build various social media sites expressed sorrow over the way they are being used now to inappropriately influence users. The Social Dilemma in case anyone here want to check it out.

Linda

This is the first forum we joined one year before we purchased our first 5th wheel(but our 6th RV) We were leaning toward full timing and this was the place to learn. We did learn, we did not full time. We belong to the Montana Owners club and this forum. We did so because we chose to.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

10 hours ago, kurtsara said:

Isn't this social media?

Sort of yes, but in a more controlled fashion. In true social media, there are very few rules and hardly any enforcement. Try to be political, aggressive or just mean and you won't be seen again unless you mend your ways. Thanks to the ever diligent  moderators. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:00 PM, kstills said:

X 2 here also due to a BAD experience resulting from FB users

Going back to the lack of spaces, I remember back over 50 years ago we had similar problems with a tent but some where,  there was always someone opening another 50 plus sites. Lots of porta-potties and a long line to shower til after 10PM.

I recall a lot of RV parks have some boom docking areas (and not on a sewer leach field) that could be used if the sewer system permits the extra dumping.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Reading through some financial reports (10-K filing) from ELS (Equity Lifestyle Properties which owns and operates Thousand Trails), they experienced robust growth in membership recently and are bullish on the industry. RVing was growing in popularity and this has only expanded since the pandemic set in and folks realized they could sleep in their own bed, s**t in their own toilet, cook in their own kitchen etc.

ELS filing makes for some interesting reading for geeks like me.

https://equitylifestyle.gcs-web.com/node/20596/html

Excerpt from the above referenced report:

We believe the demand from baby boomers for MH and RV communities will continue to be strong over the long term. It is estimated that
approximately 10,000 baby boomers are turning 65 daily through 2030. In addition, the population age 55 and older is expected to grow 18% from 2020 to
2035. These individuals, seeking an active lifestyle, will continue to drive the market for second home sales as vacation properties, investment
opportunities or retirement retreats. We expect it is likely that over the next decade, we will continue to see high levels of second-home sales and that
manufactured homes and cottages in our Properties will continue to provide a viable second-home alternative to site-built homes. We also believe the
Millennial and Generation X demographic will contribute to our future long-term customer pipeline. Millennials and Generation X combined represent
over half of RV buyers. There is an increasing trend among these groups to adopt a minimalist lifestyle due to its affordability, preference over home
quality relative to its size and the overall unique experience that our communities can provide. We believe the demand from baby boomers and these
younger generations will continue to outpace supply for MH and RV communities. The entitlement process to develop new MH and RV communities is
extremely restrictive. As a result, there have been limited new communities developed in our target geographic markets.

Edited by ToddF

On 10/18/2020 at 10:12 AM, remoandiris said:

the same can be true there.

That is the reason that all posts to the Escapee Facebook must have approval of one of the moderators before they go up. It must be a big job and they seem to do it very well. Even so, subjects do roll off very quickly and discussions rarely stay visible for more than a few days. And that is the reason that I prefer the bulletin board type forums for most discussions.

20 hours ago, Kirk W said:

subjects do roll off very quickly and discussions rarely stay visible for more than a few days. And that is the reason that I prefer the bulletin board type forums for most discussions.

Agreed.  Plus sifting thru results from the search function of this forum is much easier then any FB page, IMO.