Has Anyone Used SEAFOAM on Their Engine

gypsydan

A friend told me about the SEAFOAM additive which he uses in the Engine of his RV. I'm wondering if anyone has used it in their engine. I have an E350 with a V10, and use synthetic oil with 135,000 miles on the engine. Before putting SEAFOAM in the gas and oil, I'm wanting to find out what expereinces others have had with SEAFOAM.

Edited by gypsydan
got published before finished

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Been using it in small engines for quite some time now and have been very happy with it.

First real use was on an Onan 5500 that was gummed up from sitting.  Had a shop clean up the cab (on the road) but still ran a little rough.  Ran a heavy dose of Seafoam in it an after a couple of hours ran as smooth as ever.  I keep it in any tank of fuel that will sit.  I have some small engines that only get used a few times a year after sitting most of the year.  They fire up on the 2-3rd pull every time.

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

I've experienced good results when uxing SeaFoam in gasoline, very similar to what Nwcid said. I've never put in the crankcase though.

I have treated a severely carboned-up gas engine by trickling SeaFoam directly into the carb on my old 1976 Dodge chassis Allegro MH. The exhaust valves had carbon buildup on them, causing the engine to backfire when letting off the throttle. It did remove the carbon, engine ran smoother and no more backfiring and blowing a exhaust manifold gasket.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

When we had a house, I kept Sea Foam in all my gas for the yard equipment.  For the Honda EU2000i generators, I keep Sea Foam in then year around..

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I use SeaFoam during oil changes on my Onan 5500. Draining two or three oz of old oil and adding the Seafoam with about a 15 min runtime.  Also spray the carb for a about a minute, no where near a whole can.  Can't say it improves an otherwise unhealthy generator as I have does this since day one and never had an issue with over 2000 hours on the meter.

Storage is with Stabil Marine Blue.

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

I bring my E-450 MH to a heavy duty truck service business near me, they're nice enough to make an exception for my "non-commercial, non-fleet" truck and have provided everything from oil changes to alignment/suspension upgrades to tune-up with new spark plugs/coils - BTW the cost to replace plugs/coils on the V10 is painful but considering they have to dig for access and need to remove fuel rails to complete the job paying $$$$ is worth it. At any rate, they don't sell it but the owner told me he buys SeaFoam in gallon jugs and adds it to his personal gas & diesel vehicles on a monthly basis so I've become a follower.  

Thanks for the various reply’s. I note it is used extensively in smaller engines. Until I hear more about putting it the oil (don’t want to remove carbon buildup around rings) I will hold off on doing that. Will though put it through carburetor and generator (which doesn’t get used that much). 

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I’m not sure I would dilute engine lube oil with Sea foams...especially a modern fuel injection engine. Buy good oil of the correct spec, change it on or before oem recommend time/miles.

No one ever wrecked an engine putting clean fresh oil in it.... 

Back in The Time Before Fuel Injection Piston ring wear seemed to be more of a thing especially in cold weather as carbureted engines washed cylinders with raw fuel on startup and short trips and endless idling. Then a little oil would get partly burned etc I’ve known of carbonated engines being given the old Project Farm treatment...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Cleaning the "Top end" usually isn't a problem. Adding something to clean the lower end sometimes leads to oil leaks, or so I have been told. 

Good oil, appropriate changes hopefully make it last a long time. The Top end is the business end and responsible for the "Power" the bottom end is what transfers the power to the drive. Being well lubricated is what keeps more power to the drive. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

My onan genset started to surge under load so i added a can of Seafoam fuel treatment.  It took only about 15 min to notice it working and within a half hour it was running smoothly.  I now add it to my motorcycles before storage as well.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

20 hours ago, orca said:

My onan genset started to surge under load so i added a can of Seafoam fuel treatment.  It took only about 15 min to notice it working and within a half hour it was running smoothly.  I now add it to my motorcycles before storage as well.

Same here.  I have a car and a Harley in Wisconsin and a car and a Harley in Florida.  All are in storage at the right time of year and all get a storage treatment of Seafoam.  It is great stuff.  Speaking of the right time of year, rain/snow in the Wisconsin forecast for this coming Monday.  We fly to Florida on Sunday 🙂.