Jump to content
GlennWest

Use HDT for as a tractor?

Recommended Posts

I am camped in Huntsville close to our property. It has not been touched in years. I have small, 4-7' young pines coming up. Would like to pull them up instead of cutting off. Could I use my truck for this? It has tow hooks on front. Thinking putting chains around saplings and hook to tow hooks and back up. Don't want to damage my truck but don't have a farm tractor. Thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck yeah, I do that stuff all the time with my F350.  Of course, it's a modified Powerstroke and you may have a Detroit or Volvo so it's anyone's guess if you can do it.  ;)

Seriously though, I think your only challenge would be getting enough traction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traction may be a problem unless they come right out. Pines do have a tap root but it shouldn't be very big. Don't have a receiver on rear but not hard to put one on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pine trees have a shallow root system. If they're as small as you say, I doubt you'll have to worry about the tree hitting you truck (unless you have an insanely short chain / strap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy!

 I use a pully system to take pines and other small trees. One pully then connect to tractor or truck  and tree pull at a angle as to not pull the tree on to you. Works for me and my lovely wife clearing off the property. Got the pully at tractor supply.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I am camped in Huntsville close to our property. It has not been touched in years. I have small, 4-7' young pines coming up. Would like to pull them up instead of cutting off. Could I use my truck for this? It has tow hooks on front. Thinking putting chains around saplings and hook to tow hooks and back up. Don't want to damage my truck but don't have a farm tractor. Thoughts.

I have not tried trees, but I had some huge planks (4000-5000 lbs) so wrapped in chains with binders for the slack.  The rear air suspension lifted each plank With no problem.  In your case you could increase traction by this method also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I have not tried trees, but I had some huge planks (4000-5000 lbs) so wrapped in chains with binders for the slack.  The rear air suspension lifted each plank With no problem.  In your case you could increase traction by this method also.

Don't understand what you are stating. How does the rear air suspension lift up something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

Don't understand what you are stating. How does the rear air suspension lift up something.

Drop the rear suspension, chain as tight as practical, air up. Should give close to 4" of lift each time. The extra weight will also add traction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Why not just rent an actual tractor and do this right rather than potentially sticking or seriously damaging your truck?

I am living on unemployment now. Have to be careful with funds.Would love to rent one of those track skids that chips up and has blade on front. Don't know proper name of them.

Edited by GlennWest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use a tire, mounted and inflated, as a pulley near the tree you can pull a small tree. There are lots of videos showing how and how not to do it. If you can back very close to the tree there will be little chance of ot flying. The wheel pully trick would make a front pull work much better I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I helped pull a DP out of a bad spot a few years ago with my HDT.  Even with 2 air lockers locked and both axles engaged the tires would just spin easily.  An unloaded HDT will only provide a minimal amount of pull.  Especially offroad.  Based on that experience I doubt you will hurt the truck but it may not do the job.  Pines are usually pretty easy to get out but the soil type and moisture can make a difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I helped pull a DP out of a bad spot a few years ago with my HDT.  Even with 2 air lockers locked and both axles engaged the tires would just spin easily.  An unloaded HDT will only provide a minimal amount of pull.  Especially offroad.  Based on that experience I doubt you will hurt the truck but it may not do the job.  Pines are usually pretty easy to get out but the soil type and moisture can make a difference.  

Well, I sorta going to snack it out. I would not want to load the clutch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn, I would try to pull from the back if you can get hooked on. Do not attach the strap at the base of the tree but about 1/2 way up so it tips over. Also use as much strap or chain as you can. Take a short roll and let the weight of the truck pull the trees not the clutch. I pulled trees like you describe with my Dakota pick up and that was a LOT smaller than your Freight liner. I would be a tad leery about pulling them from the front in case something broke and you had flying pieces and parts of tree or chain or whatever else may be out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be able to pull a few trees but after awhile your field's smoother surface will turn to potholes from root removal. Will your truck with the stiffer frame be able to have traction then especially after a rain?

I would tackle killing the trees either chemically or by hand ( stripping the bark). That will leave them them easier to pull next year.

Another solution,  Sell Christmas Trees and with the money find someone with a dozer and root rake.

Clay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have enough land to stay on solid ground. It is a small path of young saplings. I just been working so much I let it get away from me.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

DFW RV Roof

RVAir The cleanest air in RVing!

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...