Water hose help!

Av8r3400

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

I roll mine up the best I can, Put a couple zip ties on it and throw it in a tote so it dont tangle up with everything else.

That’s how we do it too.  I have several labeled totes in the basement, items like “sewer hose gear”, “electrical cables”, “water hose gear”, “tools”, etc.  They all can be kept organized and separated.  

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

14 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I’m not afraid of spending a little money for a quality product, but $115 plus tax and shipping for a 50’ hose, sight unseen, is definitely a leap of faith...

I hear ya.  Bit pricy I know. I will stick with them as the performance has been 100% better than any others we ever had. 12yrs  plus still in use. I like two 25’ hoses. I see they are $62.50 now. I think I paid like $50 ea when I bought them. I’d still buy them now if I needed more. 

I sell the Camco std hoses on our CG store  for $20 for a 25’. That what most want to spend and own.  All the leaking kinked up hoses we see on rigs are those type. Lol 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

For what its worth.....every now and then look inside your hose the first foot or two and make

sure their is no green algae growing in there. Some campgrounds do not use or do not use enough chlorine

in their water system to kill it. I've stopped using several hoses over the years for potable water. I spray paint

the outside to mark them for car wash hoses.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

On 9/29/2020 at 7:59 AM, Av8r3400 said:

My major complaint is not kinking but flexibility to store the hose when not in use. 

The custom length hoses I purchased from the Water Filter Store, a long time ago, are very high quality and I'm pleased with them.  IMO, they are less likely to burst (I've never heard of anyone having that problem) and more likely to last a long time (age deterioration, or dragging them on the ground).  

That said, they are (IMO) less flexible than many (perhaps most) other RV water hoses.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

A little algae in the hose just adds flavor........

Seriously, I've never seen algae in a hose, and I grew up watering cattle every day.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Seriously, I've never seen algae in a hose, and I grew up watering cattle every day.

Neither have I.  I haven't grown up on a farm, but I've lived in CA, MD, NM, NY and in CT twice.  All of my water was from municipal sources, except my second house in CT, where I currently live.  I use my private well and have never seen any algae in any of my hoses.  It's often hot (85+ degrees) and humid here in the summer.

I trust Glenn's description of his experiences are true.  I don't know why he's found algae growth to be a problem with his hoses.  The only speculation I can come up with, is that his water sources have more nutrients in them for algae growth than the water from my private well.

Glenn - any other ideas?

Dan, Glenn has mentioned calcium build up, but not algae.

Where I grew up, there was no municipal water.  Everyone had a well.  My brother lives in that house, using the well installed in 1913.  My shop is adjacent, and I have a well installed in about 2009.  No algae issues, ever.  We're pulling water from the aquifer and it's so pure that municipalities have put in their own wells nearby to to be piped to the next valley.

My experience over the past 66 years leads me to avoid treated water.  We fill jugs before we leave on a trip and use that for drinking.  Zero chlorine or other additives.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Rick, you may not have noticed Glenn's latest post, immediately before my previous one.

Algae has not been a problem for me either, in my 20 years of using my well as my sole water source.

But apparently, it is has been for Glenn.

If algae is a problem, and you have an expensive hose, why not just flush it.  

You could either treat it with bleach or something similar or even just leave it out in the sun for a day or two and let it dry out good and clean it. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

Dang . We must be real lucky as we've used the same cheap hose for ten years . I have a hose I use when an extension is needed that I got for free . Both hoses get bleached right along with the rest of the coach water system about once a year . 

And , no green stuff inside either . Except for once after we left a well fed park after a couple months stay . Bleach took care of that , quickly . 

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

That is why I but cheap walmart hoses. They never get a chance to start leaking before replacing. 

I have a hose in my shop that was put in service when we built the building, June of 1975.  It's never had a minute of tlc, and has no algae, yet. It spends some time outdoors, but probably no more than 10% of it's life. That would still equate to over 3 years. 

It was an expensive hose at the time, but in the long run, I guess it's been pretty cheap.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I have a couple of those woven hoses that roll up in a reel flat like fire apparatus hose, only smaller.

Downside is you have to deploy all the hose to use it.

I also have the sumbitch white plastic ones. 

When I still had s&b and was part time I used to run some hot water through them after filling the rig - that allows them to coil nice.

Otherwise the are like barb wire...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Real algae is a plant and requires light to grow.

I'm certain that the custom hoses,  I bought from the Water Filter store many years ago, do not allow enough light inside for algae to grow. 

I suspect that Glenn is using "algae" as a generic label for the stuff that grew in his past hoses.  Similar to folks talking about the algae that grows in their diesel fuel tanks.  Real algae does not grow in dark places.  Bacteria, mold, fungus ... do.

6 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I'm certain that the custom hoses,  I bought from the Water Filter store many years ago, do not allow enough light inside for algae to grow. 

I suspect that Glenn is using "algae" as a generic label for the stuff that grew in his past hoses.  Similar to folks talking about the algae that grows in their diesel fuel tanks.  Real algae does not grow in dark places.  Bacteria, mold, fungus ... do.

Most of what I read was "black mold".

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

There are so very many water hoses that say they are drinking water safe. How do we actually know and discern fact from hype? We know natural rubber, PVC, leaded brass, and some other materials are not drinking water safe, what else?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 9/30/2020 at 5:08 AM, Av8r3400 said:

I’m not afraid of spending a little money for a quality product, but $115 plus tax and shipping for a 50’ hose, sight unseen, is definitely a leap of faith...

A leap many of us have taken so you can put your faith in us?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

There are so very many water hoses that say they are drinking water safe. How do we actually know and discern fact from hype? We know natural rubber, PVC, leaded brass, and some other materials are not drinking water safe, what else?

I would say that unless something is NSF certified you have no way of knowing for sure. As you noted there are some materials that are unsafe so doing your homework on the hose construction would be the other way.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 10/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, Nwcid said:

If algae is a problem, and you have an expensive hose, why not just flush it.  

You could either treat it with bleach or something similar or even just leave it out in the sun for a day or two and let it dry out good and clean it. 

I've been putting a water/bleach mixture in my hoses for years.  Pour about a pint in and then secure the ends together and flip them over a couple of times and put them away until the next time we need them.  I just flush the hose out before we hook up to the camper.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:39 PM, GlennWest said:

I have thrown out hoses for algae inside also.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:10 PM, DanZemke said:

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I would say that unless something is NSF certified you have no way of knowing for sure.

The Water Filter Store doesn't manufacture their hoses - they fabricate them.  They buy their NSF certified hose material from Kuri Tec .  https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/custom-built-hoses

I'm not trying to promote the Water Filter Store.  I suspect the vast majority of hoses marketed as RV Water Hoses are NSF certified.  Obviously, if the ad for a hose does not make it clear, ask before you purchase.