W900 studio sleeper

chief916

I've been looking at W900s on line.  What does the letters after the W900 mean?  Is that telling the size of the sleeper bunk?  They're nice looking rigs but have only seen them at dealers and guys that deal in only used trucks and they're hi dollar.  Also have they ever used Detroit series 60 motors in them?  TIA

Ben chief916

Hi Ben,

W900’s are always a set forward steer able conventional truck. KW “T” models are set back axle trucks.

W900S is a bridge formula construction truck most commonly seen as a mixer.

W900’s were available until the EPA2005 emissions requirement with Detroit Diesel engines. Detroit Diesel had been sold by Roger Penske to Daimler AG. Paccar (Kenworth, Peterbilt, DAF, Leyland) made the decision not to offer Detroit Diesel engines mostly due to not wanting to share emissions development work with an industry competitor (Daimler: Freightliner, Mercedes-Benz, Western Star).

W900B’s in std hood and long hood (W900L) can have modular sleepers - 42”, 50”, 60” inc VIT high roof - these sleepers are separate from the cab accessed through a back of cab opening. The cab can have flat glass or curved windshield and a flat roof.

The Aerocab  models have a curved windshield, can be one piece or 2 piece, upward sloping roof, and the sleeper is integral to the cab, with space to recline the seats. The sleepers are 62 & 72 Flat top, and Aerodyne sleepers in 62, 72, and 86 Studio. The Aerodyne sleeper trucks have the signature raised roof with windows above the cab.

Many 72 Aerodynes were spec’d with the lower sofabed which includes passenger seat belts and an upper bunk. People will call these “Studio” sleepers but the Studio sleeper is an 86”. 

Kenworths are rugged trucks that are backed by a strong dealer network and parts support which supports their value in the used market. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

5 hours ago, kswrmk said:

The W900A models are the conventionals built from around 1967 to 1982.

The current model of W900's are W900B that designates the standard hood length, W900L designates a long hood length and W900S designates a sloping hood.

Gotta love the W900 trucks!

Thank you.  This helps me out to better understand.

44 minutes ago, noteven said:

Hi Ben,

W900’s are always a set forward steer able conventional truck. KW “T” models are set back axle trucks.

W900S is a bridge formula construction truck most commonly seen as a mixer.

W900’s were available until the EPA2005 emissions requirement with Detroit Diesel engines. Detroit Diesel had been sold by Roger Penske to Daimler AG. Paccar (Kenworth, Peterbilt, DAF, Leyland) made the decision not to offer Detroit Diesel engines mostly due to not wanting to share emissions development work with an industry competitor (Daimler: Freightliner, Mercedes-Benz, Western Star).

W900B’s in std hood and long hood (W900L) can have modular sleepers - 42”, 50”, 60” inc VIT high roof - these sleepers are separate from the cab accessed through a back of cab opening. The cab can have flat glass or curved windshield and a flat roof.

The Aerocab  models have a curved windshield, can be one piece or 2 piece, upward sloping roof, and the sleeper is integral to the cab, with space to recline the seats. The sleepers are 62 & 72 Flat top, and Aerodyne sleepers in 62, 72, and 86 Studio. The Aerodyne sleeper trucks have the signature raised roof with windows above the cab.

Many 72 Aerodynes were spec’d with the lower sofabed which includes passenger seat belts and an upper bunk. People will call these “Studio” sleepers but the Studio sleeper is an 86”. 

Kenworths are rugged trucks that are backed by a strong dealer network and parts support which supports their value in the used market. 

Not even....what can I say.  That's alot of info and very impressive.  Thank you so much.  I own a 97 Volvo WIA64, which is a good truck but looking at these W900s,they are very like...wow.  both of you gent's...kswrma and you have been a big help in educating me.  My truck is ok but these kw's are very nice.  Maybe some day when I get my house paid off, about 3 months or so, I may get really serious about getting one.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, noteven said:

KW “T” models are set back axle trucks.

That's traditionally been the case, and it still works as a general rule-of-thumb, but they now offer a T880S model for certain vocational applications (most likely the same ones for which the W900S was developed) that has a set-forward axle.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

15 hours ago, noteven said:

That is correct Phil. T880S.

I was blabbering on about B model trucks pre 680/880/990 times.

Ben - here is some video of a 1981 W900A with flat top sleeper in RV service

1981 Kenworth W900A - RV hauler

That video was awesome.  Good looking rig.  No DEF, emissions, regens.  My truck has none of that but looks nowhere as good as that w900a.  Thank you for showing this.

v/r

Ben "chief916"