Looking for Specific Floorplan

skylve

Hello everyone,

I'm about half a year away from purchasing my first fifth wheel, and have been actively looking at different floor plans and models, and I've think I've figured out what I want for the floorplan. My criteria are:

1. Not excessively long, I'd prefer to keep it 33ft or under

2. Separate bunkhouse with at least 3 bunks

3. 2 baths, preferably both having a shower (wet or dry is fine) or 1.5 baths

4. Minimal non-sleeper sofas

After looking at various floor plans I've noticed quite a waste of space in many models, for me the rv will be used like a portable cabin; just stay in it to sleep/cook and most of the time you're outside having fun with friends/family. There's no need for lots of sofas and tables for me. I prefer as much split between sleeping areas as possible, so a bunkhouse is the way to go. I'd also like 2 toilets and preferably 2 showers to make sure everyone is comfortable and there's no arguing over who goes when. Looking around I saw only a couple that meet my criteria. What brands usually make similar models and are there any specific models I would find suitable?

Below is an example that meets my criteria.

rv-v1.png

There are very few RV's on the market with more than one bath, and I don't know of any with two showers.  The plan you've drawn has essentially no "living area" and the single couch is directly across from a bathroom.  You are looking for something so unique that it likely doesn't exist.  RV manufacturers (with the exception of the very high-end, custom manufacturers) design RV's that are likely to appeal to a range of potential buyers, and the layout you have drawn would not. 

The idea of looking at a toy hauler and renovating the garage area has some merit, but few are in the 30' range, and fewer with two bathrooms. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

10 hours ago, skylve said:

Hello everyone,

I'm about half a year away from purchasing my first fifth wheel, and have been actively looking at different floor plans and models, and I've think I've figured out what I want for the floorplan. My criteria are:

1. Not excessively long, I'd prefer to keep it 33ft or under

2. Separate bunkhouse with at least 3 bunks

3. 2 baths, preferably both having a shower (wet or dry is fine) or 1.5 baths

4. Minimal non-sleeper sofas

After looking at various floor plans I've noticed quite a waste of space in many models, for me the rv will be used like a portable cabin; just stay in it to sleep/cook and most of the time you're outside having fun with friends/family. There's no need for lots of sofas and tables for me. I prefer as much split between sleeping areas as possible, so a bunkhouse is the way to go. I'd also like 2 toilets and preferably 2 showers to make sure everyone is comfortable and there's no arguing over who goes when. Looking around I saw only a couple that meet my criteria. What brands usually make similar models and are there any specific models I would find suitable?

Below is an example that meets my criteria.

rv-v1.png

There is more stuff inside the locations you may consider wasted space. In your illustration above, there isn't enough room between your Bed and bath for the slideout to return inside  for travel. There are companies who will customize your rig and build it to your specifications. The down side to that is you get what you ask for and have to pay for it even if the reality isn't the same as your dream. Once it's started it's yours. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

15 hours ago, SWharton said:

Have you looked at toy haulers?

They are more expensive than a regular fifth wheel of similar size and I would rather not pay for something I don't need. That said I will reconsider looking at toy haulers again.

14 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

There are very few RV's on the market with more than one bath, and I don't know of any with two showers.  The plan you've drawn has essentially no "living area" and the single couch is directly across from a bathroom.  You are looking for something so unique that it likely doesn't exist.  RV manufacturers (with the exception of the very high-end, custom manufacturers) design RV's that are likely to appeal to a range of potential buyers, and the layout you have drawn would not. 

The idea of looking at a toy hauler and renovating the garage area has some merit, but few are in the 30' range, and fewer with two bathrooms. 

5 hours ago, lappir said:

There is more stuff inside the locations you may consider wasted space. In your illustration above, there isn't enough room between your Bed and bath for the slideout to return inside  for travel. There are companies who will customize your rig and build it to your specifications. The down side to that is you get what you ask for and have to pay for it even if the reality isn't the same as your dream. Once it's started it's yours. 

Rod

If I had the money, I would definitely get a custom RV, but with the budget I have I can only buy something that is already built. There is also the option of converting a cargo trailer but unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of construction or renovation to take on such a project.

35 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Is this a floorplan that you drew, or the floorplan of an actual RV?

The reason I ask is in the bedroom, it doesn't look like there would be enough room to bring in the bed slide before it hit the bathroom.

I drew it, the rear is based on a slide design in I saw a travel trailer where the bed folds in half when the slide retracts.

The bed isn't that unusual. Take a look at Alpha 5th wheels. The foot lifts up and travels at an angle to the floor.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Here's a 3-bunk - Jayco 29.5BHDS.  Only one bath and small tanks for a big family - 43 gal fresh; 32 gal grey & black

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2020-eagle-ht-fifth-wheel/295bhok/

For the size you want I doubt you'll find a 2-bath; 3 bunk 5th wheel.

Even if you found a 2-bath; you might not be able to use both showers at the same time and you'd need big holding tanks.

Your design has no place to relax... just the table.  What if you have days of rain?  Or even one day of rain?

Would you consider getting a roomy 30' and having the kids use a tent at your site for sleeping?  Then you'd have lots of room inside for relaxing.

Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

22 hours ago, skylve said:

I drew it, the rear is based on a slide design in I saw a travel trailer where the bed folds in half when the slide retracts.

20 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

The bed isn't that unusual. Take a look at Alpha 5th wheels. The foot lifts up and travels at an angle to the floor.

Cool!  I've never heard nor seen a bed like that.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

With all of your requirements I would think you would want to have a custom one built. There are a lot of things that point to that. 30’ alone is a rare thing. 2 full bathrooms In 30’ I have never heard of. And having a bunkhouse and a bedroom plus living space in 30’ I have never seen. Best of luck.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 9/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, 2gypsies said:

Here's a 3-bunk - Jayco 29.5BHDS.  Only one bath and small tanks for a big family - 43 gal fresh; 32 gal grey & black

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2020-eagle-ht-fifth-wheel/295bhok/

For the size you want I doubt you'll find a 2-bath; 3 bunk 5th wheel.

Even if you found a 2-bath; you might not be able to use both showers at the same time and you'd need big holding tanks.

Your design has no place to relax... just the table.  What if you have days of rain?  Or even one day of rain?

Would you consider getting a roomy 30' and having the kids use a tent at your site for sleeping?  Then you'd have lots of room inside for relaxing.

Good luck!

It doesn't rain much during the summer here in Southern Ontario, so as long as everyone can find cover from the rain for 10-15 mins then there's no big issue. The tent idea isn't too bad, but some campsites restrict extra stuff like cars and tents. There's going to be no kids either unless someone decides to bring along their younger siblings.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, rynosback said:

With all of your requirements I would think you would want to have a custom one built. There are a lot of things that point to that. 30’ alone is a rare thing. 2 full bathrooms In 30’ I have never heard of. And having a bunkhouse and a bedroom plus living space in 30’ I have never seen. Best of luck.

Its going to be my first RV so nothing custom yet, and after some digging I did find a few floorplans around 30 feet with a bunkhouse and 1.5 baths but they are all new ones, so it looks like I might have to buy a brand new RV which is usually advised against for first timers.

I did find something almost perfect but its a new model and at $65k CAD it's more than twice my planned budget.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth-wheels/sandpiper/3330BH/5029

24 minutes ago, skylve said:

It doesn't rain much during the summer here in Southern Ontario, so as long as everyone can find cover from the rain for 10-15 mins then there's no big issue. The tent idea isn't too bad, but some campsites restrict extra stuff like cars and tents. There's going to be no kids either unless someone decides to bring along their younger siblings.

Its going to be my first RV so nothing custom yet, and after some digging I did find a few floorplans around 30 feet with a bunkhouse and 1.5 baths but they are all new ones, so it looks like I might have to buy a brand new RV which is usually advised against for first timers.

I did find something almost perfect but its a new model and at $65k CAD it's more than twice my planned budget.

I certainly wouldn't buy a specific type of RV for 'just in case someone brings kids'.  Buy the RV for YOU.  Extras can usually adjust by bringing their tent or getting a cabin in the park or ??

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, skylve said:

I like everything about that floor plan except the location of the living room TV; that's a crick in the neck waiting to happen. But I am puzzled about 50 gallons fresh with more than 100 gallons each gray and black water tanks.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'll just have to see what the local dealers have when I'm ready to buy, I'll most likely settle for a 32-35ft fifth wheel with bunkhouse and 1.5 baths, maybe I'll convert the half bath to a wet bath.

17 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I certainly wouldn't buy a specific type of RV for 'just in case someone brings kids'.  Buy the RV for YOU.  Extras can usually adjust by bringing their tent or getting a cabin in the park or ??

This is the RV that I want for me, it won't matter if there's extras, the space if always going to be used.

16 hours ago, sandsys said:

I like everything about that floor plan except the location of the living room TV; that's a crick in the neck waiting to happen. But I am puzzled about 50 gallons fresh with more than 100 gallons each gray and black water tanks.

Linda

TV? TV!!! Absolutely no TV's anywhere on my site, I don't even bother to care for positions/connections for TV's when looking at any floorplan. I'll assume that having larger tanks are better if weight isn't an issue unless someone's experience shows otherwise.

1 hour ago, skylve said:

TV? TV!!! Absolutely no TV's anywhere on my site, I don't even bother to care for positions/connections for TV's when looking at any floorplan. I'll assume that having larger tanks are better if weight isn't an issue unless someone's experience shows otherwise.

Ah! We are not the only people who had theTV removed from our first RV. After that we left them in place but we didn't watch any until close to the end of our full time living. In that rig, since we decided we wanted to be able to watch certain programs, we made sure we had a TV that faced our chairs.

My question about water relates to having four times the disposal capacity as the fresh water source. That feels like a typo to me which makes me a bit nervous about what other detail they may have listed incorrectly.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This is a class A rather than a 5th wheel but you might want to check it out: https://www.goingplacesrv.com/rv-rental/bounder-class-a-rv-36/?wphyperspeed=1598654132

It's currently in a rental pool.

Linda

On 9/28/2020 at 7:50 PM, sandsys said:

This is a class A rather than a 5th wheel but you might want to check it out: https://www.goingplacesrv.com/rv-rental/bounder-class-a-rv-36/?wphyperspeed=1598654132

It's currently in a rental pool.

Linda

That floor plan looks interesting, never seen anything like it in a class A, but class A RV's are expensive here in Canada unless they're older than 20 years.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone, I'm getting close to buying a tow vehicle, and I'll check back here once that's done, and then once spring comes I'll have to see what local RV dealers have in stock, hopefully there's going to be something that meets my requirements.

A floor plan also depends on your intended usage. If you are not going to only stay in it a campground that can handle it and will also be stopping in rest areas or truck stops while traveling from one location to another and need access to certain features when stopping for lunch or dinner, then you also need to watch what you can access with the slides in. Things like being able to use the bathroom, microwave, refrigerator and bed with the slides in were important to us.  In your plan that you drew up, are the bunks in the gooseneck area at the front of the trailer and the main bedroom with the bed in the slide is at the rear? If so you may not have a lot of height to get comfortable bunks in that area and you need stairs or a ladder to get to that area. If you ever plan to upgrade, you may also want to consider resale value, and things like TV hook ups can add to that. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.