My job requires a physical address

Sushiandwasabi

I am a WA resident, employed in OR. I am considering transitioning from studio apartment living to full time Rving while I have very few belongings and no children. I would be living on site at work where there are hook ups. I've already rented RV several times to try and replicate full time living and see if this is a lifestyle for me. So far, my only issue is that work requires a physical address. Unfortunately, all my family is in Hawaii and the only other people I know here are my co workers and I wouldn't want to burden them with such a request.  I've considered renting a room at someone's home but average costs are around 600-700, which is a lot when also considering monthly RV living costs. I'm curious if anyone has been in a similar situation or if anyone has any ideas. I know car registration requires physical address, so I'm also curious how RVers go about doing that as well. Thank you in advance!

19 minutes ago, Sushiandwasabi said:

. Do you know if I am able to register my vehicle using Eacapees mail service address?

The Escapees have legal addresses for that purpose in TX, SD, and FL but not in Oregon or Washington. You need to mee the laws of the states where you live and work so I do not see how you could use one of the Escapee addresses. I suggest that you contact your local driver's license office and ask them if you can use a mail service or PO box. If memory serves, WA does not allow it and OR does if you have lived in the state long enough to qualify, which I think is 6 months. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Sushiandwasabi said:

Hi, no my address does not need to be in Oregon, it could also be in WA. 

Here's an Oregon mail forwarding service.  Maybe they can meet your needs:  https://mailforwardingservices.com/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, Sushiandwasabi said:

Hi Kirk, thank you for your suggestion. I tried using my PO box to register my vehicle in OR last year (I was a resident for 6 years) and they said it's not a "real address."

The following comes from the OR Secretary of State website.

Department of Transportation

Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division - Chapter 735

Division 62
DRIVER LICENSING

(1)................

(6) An applicant who travels continuously may use a residence address of “continuous traveler.” The applicant must prove that the applicant is a resident or domiciled in Oregon pursuant to OAR 735-016-0040. In addition to the use of “continuous traveler,” the applicant must also provide a mailing address.

9 hours ago, Sushiandwasabi said:

Im curious to know if I need to live in Oregon for a certain period of time to "establish residency" before qualifying for that

CERTIFICATION OF OREGON RESIDENCY OR DOMICILE

If you reside in Oregon, and need to provide proof that you are a resident of or domiciled in Oregon, a true copy of your Oregon permanent or part-year income tax return filed with the Oregon Department of Revenue for the previous tax year is acceptable proof with this form. If you filed as a part-year resident the income tax return must show that you resided in Oregon at the end of that tax year. If you do not have a copy of your income tax return, you may provide two or more of the following documents with this form: • A property tax record, utility bills, rent receipts, a lease or rental agreement or other document that shows you reside in Oregon; • Enrollment records or other documentation that you are attending an educational institution maintained by public funds and pay resident tuition fees; • Motel, hotel, campground or recreational vehicle park receipts showing that you currently reside in Oregon and have remained in Oregon for six consecutive months or more; • A statement dated within the last 60 days from a relief agency or shelter that you have no actual residence, but currently receive assistance in Oregon; • Fuel receipts, motel receipts, or other documents showing you have lived in Oregon for at least six of the last twelve months. • Documents showing you have a current account at a bank or credit union in Oregon and the account has been open for 60 days or more; • A document showing receipt of public assistance from an agency of the State of Oregon dated within the last twelve months; or • An Oregon voter registration card.

17 hours ago, Sushiandwasabi said:

I am a WA resident, employed in OR. I am considering transitioning from studio apartment living to full time Rving while I have very few belongings and no children. I would be living on site at work where there are hook ups. I've already rented RV several times to try and replicate full time living and see if this is a lifestyle for me. So far, my only issue is that work requires a physical address.

But your physical address will be AT your work.  That's not good enough for them?

Can you use your work address as your physical address since you will actually reside there? You can still use a mail forwarding service anywhere (OR, TX, FL or SD) for your mail but have your domicile in WA or OR. THE DMV will have to accept your work address for your drivers liscense and registration. The Certification of OR Residency or Domicile states that a receipt from a camp ground or recreational vehicle park are valid proof. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Years ago when I was a full timer, I occasionally encountered some organization that required a physical address instead of a PO box.  The address provided from my mail service included "PMB" plus the mailbox number.  PMB was an abbreviation for personal mailbox.  In any case, I dropped the "PMB" and would enter the mailbox number as if it were an apartment number.  That seemed to satisfy everyone.  

9 minutes ago, JimK said:

PMB was an abbreviation for personal mailbox. 

PMB stands for private mail box. The United States Postal Service reserves “PO Box” for the boxes located at USPS post offices. USPS requires all owners of private boxes to use the PMB designation in order to avoid confusion.

32 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

PMB stands for private mail box. The United States Postal Service reserves “PO Box” for the boxes located at USPS post offices. USPS requires all owners of private boxes to use the PMB designation in order to avoid confusion.

PMB or # in front of box number.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I don't understand how this is a problem The company he works for apparently owns the RV park in which he would live. How could they not accept that as his address?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, Blues said:

I didn't see that the OP would be living in an RV park--the post said only "on site at work where there are hook ups."  I assumed it's a regular workplace where there's room to park, with access to an electric outlet, water, and maybe a sewer cleanout. 

My point is still valid. He would be camping at work so why would work not accept that as his address?

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There is no RV Park at work; I would just be parking my rig in one of the employee parking stalls. The reason I'm not able to use my work as my physical address is because it's more of an unofficial thing. My manager is allowing it, but it's something that the higher ups/owner in Seattle have not officially allowed. Other driver's have lived on-site with their rigs hooked up with no problem, but they had family home address to use as their physical address. I just don't want to step over the line and put my manager in a weird position. Also, thank you all for the responses!

Edited by Sushiandwasabi

4 minutes ago, sandsys said:

He would be camping at work so why would work not accept that as his address?

Because most, if not all states will not accept a business address for driver's licensing, voter registration, or legal domicile. Oregon is one of them.

When you do set up a suitable mail forwarding service or UPS mailbox,  you might want to submit IRS form 8822 establishing your new address.  Note IRS form 8822 prohibits use of a PO box unless postage cannot be delivered to your location.  There is no mention of private mailboxes.  Again I would not look for confusion.  I would not put PMB on the form, just indicate the number.  You might want to consider a UPS mailbox.  As far as I know UPS does not handle mail forwarding so it is useless to those of us who travel.  It sounds like it would be perfect for you.  They advertise that they provide a "real street address".

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Because most, if not all states will not accept a business address for driver's licensing, voter registration, or legal domicile. Oregon is one of them.

But he said work was the problem. I am under the impression he is willing to use a mail forwarding service, such as Escapee's in Livingston, for the other things.

Linda

5 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I am under the impression he is willing to use a mail forwarding service, such as Escapee's in Livingston, for the other things.

I doubt that OR or WA would give him a driver's license with that.