RV Insurance - costs

Audra

We have a new Vanleigh Vilano 385RD coming in the next couple of weeks. This 5th wheel is new 2021 model 5 slides and 42.5 feet long.

I've called a couple of insurance places and it seems fairly high.

Quotes from: Steve Miller Agency around 2000, and one from National General Insurance - 2292

They said it was for 500.00 deductible and total replacement costs since we will be full timing once our house sells. It also has something they called 100k vacation liability.

Is there other places that have fulltime insurance that we could check with?

1 hour ago, Audra said:

It also has something they called 100k vacation liability.

"Vacation liability" doesn't sound like what you need.  You're going to be living in your new RV, not just vacationing in it.  By agreeing to a policy that characterizes your usage as vacation, you're giving them lots of wiggle room to not pay anything if you suffer a loss.

Miller has a pretty good reputation.  Another that does is FCIS.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Make sure that you tell them that you will be living in the RV as the insurance you need is quite different from what you would get for a recreational use RV. Here are several agencies that have a long history of working with members of Escapees.

AIS RV Insurance                                                      RV Advantage Insurance

Explorer Insurance                                                   Foremost Insurance

Miller Insurance Agency

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

From my insurance brokers handbook---

Vacation Liability — this motor home/RV insurance provides personal liability coverage only when the RV is parked off public roads and while the unit is used for recreational purposes. It does not overlap with or apply to any loss payable under automobile liability coverage. For example, if the insured's friend slips on the step of his parked travel trailer and is injured, coverage is provided under the vacation liability option. It also does not apply if RV full-timers coverage is purchased instead. Unlike full-timers coverage, which grants broad personal and premises liability coverage, vacation liability applies only to a loss at the campsite or at the motor home. Thus, some insurers refer to this as campsite liability.

You need to specifically ask for an RV Fulltimers Policy.  Yes it costs more, because its a combination of vehicle coverages & homeowner liability coverages. When you owned a home you got your primary liability coverage through your homeowners policy. Now that you don't own a home, you need this extra personal liability coverage added to your RV policy.

Jim

Thanks for you input.  They told me this was full time coverage but that I also needed the vacation coverage because it was for the liability if someone injures at my RV while its parked.  So it sounds like if they give me true full time coverage I won't need the vacation thing. Appreciate all your comment!

I'll call some of the others as well and get quotes to see if we can get it down.

Check out Geico, I have a full timers policy covering collision, comprehensive (fire and theft), liability (on the road or parked) and personal contents, with a $1,000 deductible for just over $2,000 a year on a Class A DP with stated value of $249,000. With a 5th wheel trailer you may only need a rider on your truck policy that covers the trailer for a lot less. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Twotoes,

I  dropped Amica after 15 years and switched to Geico about a year ago for my SUV.  Amica had doubled my rate in 2 years, without any claims or change in my credit profile.  Geico was much less expensive for comparable coverage.  I chose not to be a sucker.

As a side note,  unfortunately Geico would not insure my Volvo HDT, when used solely to tow my trailer.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

2 hours ago, Audra said:

So it sounds like if they give me true full time coverage I won't need the vacation thing.

Agreed. In addition, it would sound like the agent you spoke with didn't know the business very well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, Audra said:

We have a new Vanleigh Vilano 385RD coming in the next couple of weeks. This 5th wheel is new 2021 model 5 slides and 42.5 feet long.

I've called a couple of insurance places and it seems fairly high.

Quotes from: Steve Miller Agency around 2000, and one from National General Insurance - 2292

They said it was for 500.00 deductible and total replacement costs since we will be full timing once our house sells. It also has something they called 100k vacation liability.

Is there other places that have fulltime insurance that we could check with?

Raise the deductible. insurance companies love to sell low deductible policies. Listen to the guys on this forum  with the knowledge.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

7 hours ago, DJohns said:

Raise the deductible. insurance companies love to sell low deductible policies. Listen to the guys on this forum  with the knowledge.

Agree. I had full time policy with Geico with full replacement, liability, contents, blah blah blah on a new Montana and a 2012 F350 SD with $1,000 deductible for 1600 a year for fiver AND truck.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Thanks everyone I knew coming here to ask would be the best place to get info!!!

As "bad" luck would have it our dealership called us the same evening I posted this and advised that our RV that was supposed to be coming in on 28SEP or so they had made a mistake and ordered the wrong model YIKES.

While the model they ordered is similar to ours we did not want a rear kitchen and the smaller living area. So we now will be waiting until just after Thanksgiving for the correct RV to come in.

I will definitely be checking out some of the other places once we get closer to Thanksgiving.

In the end the delay is not a horrible thing for us our house has not sold yet so we were going to have to store the RV for a few months anyway. So this saves a few months of paying for storage and payment on the RV.

Thanks for all your input! You may see me back asking about this same question later!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Check with Hartford through AARP.  We have our vehicle(s) and home policies combined through them, as well as a $1M umbrella liability policy, and when I called them for a quote for full comprehensive coverage on the brand new 5th wheel we were considering (now on order), they only wanted an additional $160/yr to add it.

For full-timers with no sticks&bricks home coverage, you probably have less options for combining policies, so maybe none of this applies.

Edited by RAMer-Jammer