Fuel treatment products?

Kirk W

Another anecdotal diesel fuel story. About 20 years ago I bought an old Case diesel tractor that had been parked in a fence-row so long a 4" tree was growing up through the frame.

I  cut the tree away, drained all the diesel fuel changed fuel filters, then poured the fuel off the top of the water, through a strainer funnel that holds water, poured the fuel back into the tank, installed a new battery, started the  tractor and drove it onto my trailer.

Point being, the old LSD fuel was still good after that long period in the fence-row. Todays biodiesel is much different.

If you are ever told "this diesel fuel does not contain biodiesel" ask what lubricity additive they use to replace the lost sulfur that formerly provided lubricity.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray! Great catch on the MOPAR TSB.

Excerpt:

"This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM) with new software (Cal 55Tl8, 57Tl1, 56Tl3, 59T7b, and 59T8b.)

Symptom/Condition:

Extended idle operation, especially in cold weather, can lead to stuck valves and bent push-tubes due to insufficient cylinder heat. This allows varnishes/oils to condense on the exhaust valve stems, leading to stuck valves, and damaged valve train components. A new software feature, enabled or disabled through the DRB III (See instructions under Repair Procedure), reduces the chance of valve sticking and improves cab heat warm-up time."

From Ray's posted link: https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articles.html/24-valve-2nd-generation_50/51_engine/high-idle-switch/tsb-18-019-01-cold-idle-engine-warming-high-idle-enable-r421/

Guess my 2002, 2004.5, and 2006 never got the flash. My 1992 12 valve 5.9 was before the 1997 up, and one had to be aware of it to flash it. Programming and chipping likely erases it.

I also engaged my Pac brake for the 30 second to a minute idle as a load, and until warmed up. 

Kirk, do the instructions to enable it on yours. I already know you knew about not idling them long even at high idle. Trucks in the south are low idled for hours for A/C in summer and for heat in winter.

I knew low idling coked the engine but now we know the rest of the story. BTW, my 1992 had the block heater and I used it under 40 degrees per the instructions for my truck at the time. The pre-warmed engine required just letting the oil pressure come up, then I'd go and do that first almost two miles like a raw egg was between my foot and the "Go" pedal.

Don't idle long, drive gently until the load of the truck itself brings it up to full operating temps. Glad I knew that much because I sure didn't know about the bent valves etc mechanical damage.

I had a PAC brake on the 92 12/valve and was told about using it at idle and while driving it to operating temps.

However I just found out about this: About Mopar1973Man High Idle Switch Kit

Excerpt:

"The 6 Cylinder High Idle and 3 Cylinder High Idle modes will greatly reduce warmup time in your Cummins Powered 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Truck on the Coldest of Mornings.  Typical warm-up time on a stock 2nd Gen Dodge Ram truck with the High idle switch is 5-10 minutes, depending on configuration, to get Engine Coolant Temps above 140°F, Faster if you have an exhaust brake.  The Mopar1973Man.com High Idle Kit also allows you to trigger the Cummins 6 Cylinder High Idle mode indefinitely for prolonged idle time to prevent cylinder wash-down or to assist with the need for more electrical draw from light bars or jump starting another vehicle.

Ever notice that your Diesel Trucks MPG goes down in the Winter? The Mopar1973Man.com MPG Fooler mode fools the ECM of a vp44 powered Cummins Diesel into seeing summer-like temperatures, this will allow for the timing tables to be adjusted for best MPG regardless of ambient temperatures that are reported by the IAT sensor.  This will show a significant improvement in MPG in the winter or cold weather operation of your VP44 Cummins Powered Dodge Ram Truck. 

The New Mopar1973Man.com High Idle Switch is Produced and supported in-house by Mopar1973Man.com.  The Switch is modular in design to allow for easier install.

Premium membership to Mopar1973Man.com is also included in the sale of the switch.  You will receive 1 year of membership to assist with any support you may need.

This Switch requires the High Idle Software enabled on the ECM.  If this has not been done it will require a Dodge Dealership or Smarty to enable the feature within the ECM.

Fits: 98.5-02 2nd Gen Dodge Ram trucks powered by a VP44 Cummins turbo diesel engine.  The Mopar1973Man.com High Idle Switch install instructions are located in this Article, Mopar1973man.com High Idle Switch Install The User manual can be Viewed in this Article, Mopar1973man.com High Idle Switch User Manual"

Source with more: https://mopar1973man.com/store/product/47-mopar1973man-high-idle-switch-kit/

Best value for $150.00 along with enabling the fast idle feature and getting better fuel mileage. This and a decent lift pump for the 2003 and up to the 2007 5.9 Cummins if it doesn't come already done. Easily checked.

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/23/2020 at 12:23 PM, RV_ said:

Me, I would stay with the pre-DEF 2005/6/7 5.9 were I to need another truck.

Since this truck was originally bought by a retired owner/operator who had owned several big tractors that he wore out while working as well as 3 that he had on the road at the time of his retirement, I figure that this one was pretty thoughtfully chosen. He bought mine after he retired and was fulltime and about 5 years later began to have dementia issues. Before he got too bad he wrote out very explicit instructions for his wife on how to properly care for it and she followed those up to when she sold it to me, several years after he passed. I bought it in 2014, with 98k miles and have mostly used it to tow our 4000# travel trailer, since then, bet we only travel seasonally so in the winter season it only gets driven for occasional trips. Now that covid has cramped our style, that 35 gallons of diesel is lasting a lot longer, which is the reason that I got to considering an algaecide for it. The independent diesel mechanic that I take it too says that it has one of the best engines that Cummins ever put in a small truck and has told me that should I decide to let it go, he wants first crack to buy it. I thought that I'd also talk to him about the subject and what he says it is pretty similar to your opinion. I expect to keep this truck as long as we keep the travel trailer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk from experience you have one of the years I would buy. I agree with your mechanic, the Cummins 5.9 is IMO the best engine ever put in a truck as well. Getting it with only 98k on it is less than any one I've bought! Good buy. My 92 had almost exactly 100k when I bought on the advice of all the diesel heads in my organization of nearly 160 I had under me. It was owned by a guy with the biggest diesel shop in Northwest San Antonio his personal truck he'd just overhauled and painted. We full time RV'd with it for seven years.

The first gen 12 valves had only a turbo in 91 and too small a radiator for a diesel. My 92 had both a Turbo and Intercooler, but still a gas truck radiator that was too small. In 93 Dodge finally put an aux cooler with fan under the bed. I was told it would help with my overheating from my first trip in 1997.  so when I saw one was up for sale new in the box in 1998 for $100 from a guy who bought it for his truck but sold his truck before installing it. I bought it and had it installed  under the bed as stock like the 93. Labor and the open box new part cost less than half the cost of the cost of the part alone at the dealer.

I bought my Transfer Flow 64 gallon auxiliary in bed fuel tank and pumps/dash switch at the annual Jojoba Hills Coop Garage sale in 1998. We just happened to be spending two days there on the way back to visit mom in San Diego on the way back to winter RV site on family property in Louisiana. I also had an tranny fuid outlet temp gauge installed that trip or the next, at Collins diesel Injection in Stockton. 

Kirk it sounds like you are doing everything right.

Read that bulletin Ray provided and make sure you have had the fast idle control enabled or buy that $150 fast idle and mpg increase control I linked to.

Then on having a spare OEM or installing one in/on the tank read this thread in its entirety. Then either tuck it away if you get the stall issue. or spend for the in tank pump or after market top line lift pump. Also check if yours had a lift pump recall or has a free replacement for failed pumps on your year Cummins: https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/2003-dodge-ram-2500-5-9l-cummins-lift-pump-problems.401193/

Never idle the Ram 5.9 for more than it takes for the oil journals to all fill and the pressure come up, unless you enable, use, and understand the fast idle system or get the $150.00 manual controller listed earlier.

Read the biocide info from Power Service (PS) and make sure whichever you choose, if not PS, that it is also able to work in both the water layer at the bottom and in the fuel.

"Bio Kleen® Diesel Fuel Biocide is a dual-phase (effective in both diesel fuel and water) biocide that kills microbes in fuel, including bacteria and fungus. Use this product to rid your fuel system of microbial contamination."

year-round-i-cd-bk
If microbial contamination is present
Treat with Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide to kill the microbes and Clear-Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner to remove the residual water and contaminants.

I used Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost, So I have no experience with Biocides and I did have a bottle of Diesel 911 just in case. I never opened the container because my diesel never froze in Louisiana on any of my diesels.

Are all Power Service Products endorsed by Cummins?

Currently only Power Service Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel Supplement are endorsed by Cummins. While the other Power Service diesel additives are not specifically endorsed by Cummins, they are safe and effective for use in all diesel engines. In fact, Cummins dealers have access to and can sell the entire line of Power Service diesel […]

I never noticed the biodiesel when we were fulltime 1997-2003. But later saw it for my 2006 and 2004.5 But did not use anything but PS white and silver bottle.

To get rid of water and to help clear the tank if you are worried about or see filter contaminant issues:

"Clear-Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner is an advanced diesel fuel and tank cleaning technology. Water has always been a problem in diesel fuel. But today’s cleaner-burning fuels have dramatically reduced sulfur content and are more prone to water separation, contamination and are inherently unstable. This Fuel Polishing Formula removes water and slime, disperses fuel contaminants and stabilizes fuel during long-term storage. It can be used as a vital part of any preventive maintenance program or for immediate clean-up of equipment or fuel storage tanks. Add Clear-Diesel at least quarterly or as needed."

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/clear-diesel-fuel-tank-cleaner/

Then scroll all the way down on that page to: "Year-Round Maintenance Schedule"

Power Service is all I used, and only in winter occasionally. If you believe another brand is better then use it. But I did not use bioccide or other additives. However, I was at the tail end of sulphur rich diesel and then ULS diesel, and then biodiesel added.

I use no fuels additives now, indeed I use no fuels/filters/oil or gas/diesel at all in my Tesla. ;) My forester, now my wife's Forester, is a gasser and we use no additives but the fuel system cleaner as prescribed by, but not from, Subaru.

That Power Service website is awesome in its learning center articles and testing done. https://powerservice.com/

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire