Gun Permit

40 minutes ago, aztex said:

One does not need a "permit" for a firearm in Texas.

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) administers the Handgun Licensing Program under the authority of the Texas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H. DPS licenses individuals to carry handguns within Texas, evaluates the eligibility of applicants through criminal history background checks, and monitors those currently licensed to ensure their continued eligibility. DPS also trains and certifies License To Carry (LTC) instructors who teach the required course to applicants.

All Original LTC applicants are required to submit fingerprints to DPS as part of the complete application. Please see  LTC Fingerprint and Photo Information.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 11:01 PM, aztex said:

What Kirk posted is in regard to carry permit; not simple ownership of a firearm.

To buy a firearm in Texas you need only be a Texas resident. No permit required and in fact no such permit exists!

Does that apply to long guns or only to pistols?

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

I believe Federal gun laws require that to purchase a handgun you must be a resident of the State where you are making the purchase but to purchase a long gun you do not, but the long gun must be shipped to a FFL in your home State where you would take possession of it. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

36 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I believe Federal gun laws require that to purchase a handgun you must be a resident of the State where you are making the purchase but to purchase a long gun you do not, but the long gun must be shipped to a FFL in your home State where you would take possession of it. 

Close.  

You can not take possession of a handgun or NFA items anywhere other than your state of residence.  You can purchase it out of state, in person or otherwise, and have it shipped to an FFL in your state for transfer. 

You can take possession of any long gun in any state, as long as it is legal in your state of residence, and it is done at an FFL.  

In the above cases "possession" from the standpoint of purchasing.  Borrowing or using is legal. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/how-may-unlicensed-person-receive-firearm-their-state-they-purchased-out

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/may-unlicensed-person-acquire-firearm-under-gca-any-state

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-constitutes-residency-state

Here is all of the links, https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/unlicensed-persons

Edited by Nwcid

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

On 10/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, bigjim said:

Ok Mr know it all of details, I will fess up to actually looking at  my new one and you are correct.🤗

Also, with a Texas LTC, you can open carry or concealed carry.  As you enter an area, you need to see if they have 30.06 (concealed carry) or 30.07 (open carry) signs posted restricting carry on those premises.  The state requires very specific signage be posted.  However, if a business tells you to leave with your firearm, even if is the proper signage is not posted, you are obligated to remove the firearm from the property.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

bigjim, I have never been concerned with others spelling, I have my hands full watching my own, and sentence construction.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Staying on topic, Indiana's gun laws are now like Texas; however handgun open carry is not permitted.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Just to add to the confusion, SD full-timers cannot legally buy a new handgun. SD requires a 30-day stay at a permanent address, NOT a State Park, mail forwarding service, etc. We're SD residents, and no go. (Of course, there is a shortage of suitable handguns and ammo now, but that's a different issue.) We're in WY right now, and talked to a retired LEO who works in a sporting goods store.We can legally buy a long gun here as long as we also buy a one-day hunting permit! I guess the State has to make some money somehow.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

50 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

Just to add to the confusion, SD full-timers cannot legally buy a new handgun. SD requires a 30-day stay at a permanent address, NOT a State Park, mail forwarding service, etc. We're SD residents, and no go. (Of course, there is a shortage of suitable handguns and ammo now, but that's a different issue.) We're in WY right now, and talked to a retired LEO who works in a sporting goods store.We can legally buy a long gun here as long as we also buy a one-day hunting permit! I guess the State has to make some money somehow.

Welp, sounds like Texas will be home base. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, kb0zke said:

Yikes!

That crosses SD off the list!

On 10/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, kb0zke said:

Just to add to the confusion, SD full-timers cannot legally buy a new handgun. SD requires a 30-day stay at a permanent address, NOT a State Park, mail forwarding service, etc. 

Who told you a SD resident, not otherwise prohibited by law, can not buy a handgun in SD?  I'd like to see that prohibition in writing.

SD residents including fulltimers most certainly can buy handguns in state, I've bought 2 myself at 2 different SD shops.. It is true that some of the larger outdoor sports & gun shops choose to not sell handguns to those with PMB addresses. But other SD gun shops have no issue with the PMB address and the ATF has no policy on PMB addresses, they told me its up to the FFL shop to decide.  

The 30 day stay has nothing to do with buying a gun, it's a requirement for a SD CCW permit and its up to each county sheriff to decide what type of address is acceptable. When I did mine many years ago the Pennington County sheriff had no problem with my stay being at a local campground. If you get a SD Gold or Enhanced CCW, those include an exemption from the background check requirement.

Jim