Almost a bad day

Jim & Wilma

We pulled into Smokey Hills RV yesterday to spend a couple days with our friends Dan & Freda and Mark & Bonnie.  After unhitching, our Volvo D13 started making a rather loud rattling noise and Dan noted a large puddle of oil. Not good!

We opened the hood and found the compressor shaking rather severely. Wasted no time shutting off the engine. Dan was quick to spot that two of the compressor studs had no nuts holding the compressor. Dan crawled under Ruby and amazingly found one of the nuts stuck between a couple hoses and the frame.

A quick trip to the hardware store and we had some new grade 8 M12-1.75 nuts. After a bit of contortion, got the compressor secured, now including jam nuts.  Started up Ruby and all appears normal though I imagine the flywheel and compressor gear teeth saw "some" wear.  If we hadn't stopped when we did, it could have been a bad day.  We’re thankful to have good friends.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Wow! Glad both of you AND Ruby are OK!! That must have been a shock.

Jan and I are traveling in Colorado this month. Our truck Surely has climbed up and down several mountains - her power going up and engine braking coming down has been great.

Hopefully we’ll catch up with you guys again somewhere. Antonito was fun!

Mark and Jan

Howdy Jim,

You should run out and buy a lotto ticket, sounds like you really lucked out on this deal.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Good work Jim! Sometimes you just get lucky, but picking up on the issue was skill on both your parts! 😉

Edited by billr

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

In my continuing search for a Volvo truck, I came across a candidate that I thought I would investigate.  It was listed for $5000.00.  Said it was a D13 at 485 with an IShift.  I thought, whats the catch???

The pics further down the string showed that the compressor has broken 2 of the 3 studs and the other has damaged threads.  Figured it wasnt my 1st time removing broken studs as I used to be a maintenance mechanic on manufacturing equipment(Charmin & Bounty machines).  After communicating with the guy, clearly he was frustrated(might even say really pissed off) because he bought the truck a couple week ago and he believes the seller knew about the problem but didnt disclose it.  So he had a truck that he couldnt use yet for jobs that he needed to complete so that he could fix the truck.  

I remember Jack saying that you need some $$$ set aside for these events, as they do happen.

Needless to say, I passed on this candidate, figuring what else has been neglected.

Marcel